• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Doel series

Cem_Usakligil

Some of you might remember that way back in 2008/2009 I have started a few threads (see here, here and here) about a deserted village called Doel, which is located in the harbour of Antwerp, Belgium. This was an ideal place to take urban exploration type of pictures. I speak in the past tense since most of the houses have now been demolished. Luckily, I have visited Doel regularly between 2007 and 2010 and could build up a nice collection of pictures. So far I have shown only a few of those here mainly because I did not post process most of them yet. I have been planning to eventually show the keepers as a set together. To get this set started, I will share this next picture now and I will add more pictures on a regular basis. In the meantime, please feel free to provide your kind C&C.

PS: Here is a web album for viewing the pictures without distractions and without having to scroll up and down.

f03240.jpg

Doel: I

Cheers,

Last edited:

Charlotte Thompson

Cem

I so love this place
it is an art explosion
freedom-

glorious freedom-I so love messy- you should see my garden-
thank you for this

thank you*

Charlotte-

Hi Cem, I'm looking forward to seeing these as you make them available. I believe I understand the general theme, and it will be very interesting to see if an underlying connecting element or two become apparent when the series is viewed in its entirety.

fahim mohammed

Cem, I, too, am intrigued. This could be a super series of an extended photo essay.

Let's see more of your collection.

Regards.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Charlotte, Tom, Fahim,

Thank you all for your kind comments. I realize that I have to keep on adding new pictures quite regularly, it is something which needs my commitment to it. Hopefully I won't let anybody down. BTW, I also hope that you won't have high expectations as not all pictures are that good either. That's why I think posting in a series is a possible way to overcome the inadequacies of single pictures shown out of their context.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Doel: II

Upon re-consideration, I have come to the conclusion that I should not try to artistically order the sequence of the pictures to be shown as it works as a deterrent in my case. So I will show them in the order of post processing convenience instead. When the series gets completed, I can still re-order and eliminate the lesser ones. Here comes # 2:

f03243.jpg

Doel: II

Please feel free to provide C&C if you wish to :).

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Stairway to Heaven

Of course, the series would be incomplete without the "Stairway to Heaven" in it. Here is a reworked version:

e02268.jpg

Stairway to Heaven

Cheers,

Ah, the plot thicken Cem! Number two must have taken some work to seamlessly balance the dynamic range - having a kick-butt subject like this makes such an effort very, very worthwhile.

Cem_Usakligil

Dear Tom,

Ah, the plot thicken Cem! Number two must have taken some work to seamlessly balance the dynamic range - having a kick-butt subject like this makes such an effort very, very worthwhile.
Thanks so much for the insightful comments, much appreciated. Yes indeed, the trick is to make it look balanced and regular. Glad that the people in the know can see the effort which went into it.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Doel: III

And finally, the last one of the oldies. I have reworked the tone mapping and the hues.

f07183.jpg

Doel: III

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Doel: Cross Section of a house

Better than an architectural drawing: the real-life cross section:

f07297.jpg

Doel: Cross Section

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Emergency exit

In case of emergency, exit in an orderly fashion and please leave your chair behind.

f07116.jpg

Doel: Emergency Exit

Cheers,

Hey Cem, I need some time to ponder these, but have to say that Room With a View grabbed me by the shirt collar and sat me up straight. There is a whole lot going on in the room, man, and that boat drawing on the wall fixes the ghosts of the former occupants on the stage. The composition and processing for this, and the others, is thoughtfully and beautifully done.

John Angulat

pro member
Cem, this is in my opinion, the best series you've undertaken.
The perspective, the color work...all captivating.

Asher - I'll use this post to humbly beg once again for member galleries. This is a perfect example.
Cem's series (along with many other member's work) should be viewable in a gallery.
Having to scroll up and down through posts in an attempt to enjoy the body of work takes so much away from the experience.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Tom, John,

Thanks a lot for following up on this thread and the feedback you kindly provide.

@John: I'll put up the pictures on a web gallery of mine and post a link later tonight.

Cheers,

Graeme McKellar

Hi Cem, Great series and I look forward to seeing more.
I just spent 20 minutes looking at "Doel: 11". Such fine detail in every area - a truly captivating photograph.
Cheers Graeme.

Mark Hampton

Cem,

have you started to look at these in terms of size / thematic relationships / sequence etc. -

the work its crisp / clear and the opposite of the place and the processing seems to expose the bones for all to see.

I feel that the titles are not needed to guide us through this landscape that you are providing..

just a couple of thoughts ... the images are as ever crafted to a high standard and a joy to look at...

cheers

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for your comments. To my mind, it is rather difficult to appreciate these at web sizes. Glad to hear that #2 still works :)

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mark,

Cem,

have you started to look at these in terms of size / thematic relationships / sequence etc. -

the work its crisp / clear and the opposite of the place and the processing seems to expose the bones for all to see.

I feel that the titles are not needed to guide us through this landscape that you are providing..

just a couple of thoughts ... the images are as ever crafted to a high standard and a joy to look at...

cheers
Good questions/comments. I haven't done any categorisation yet. Still hoping to add more to the set first. You are right about the titles. I have added them while I was in a humourous/sarcastic mode. I'll present the final set w/o titles.

Cheers,

Randy Rebolos

Hello Cem,

You have a nice set here. The tonal range would make them excellent candidates for Platinum/Palladium prints. The room with the tiled floor reminds me of a Vermeer painting.

What is the story behind Doel?

Randy