• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Birds Near Your Home and in the 'hood!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, I have some birds circling overhead.

_MG_8387Birds_ copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Dove Overhead?

Canon 6D 70-200 2.8L IS II with 2x extender II

Now will try to get one resting in the trees!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well, this looks quite similar! I found it in the pictures I had taken earlier!

_MG_8201Birds_cropped_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Dove in a Winter Tree

Canon 6D 70-200 2.8L ISII

I have a lot to learn about bird species. I'm still lost with humans, LOL! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Earlier that day, I had some little visitors that I had not been able to examine closely. however, I was so pleased to review the images. These are really pretty creatures, the size of a finch.

_MG_8233Birds_edited_flat_Cropped.jpg

Asher Kelman: Small Visitor! #1

Canon 6D 70-200 2.8L IS

_MG_8238Birds_edited and sharpened.jpg

Asher Kelman: Small Visitor! #2

Canon 6D 70-200 2.8L IS

If you can identify these chaps, I'll update and add their respective names.

Thanks,

Asher

Hi Asher,

The soaring bird is a raptor of some type, but I don't have the skills to tell you which one.

The second is a Mourning Dove.

I'm also not sure about the third.

Well, one out of 3 is better than nothing!

Anthony Reilly

Hi Asher,
Great shot. I'm imagining you muttering and softly cursing for the lack of equipment.
For many of us, visitors such as these are a rarity.
I'm going to go out on a limb (no pun intended) and guess Coopers Hawk.
I had a one-time visitor to my backyard and I beat the internet to death trying to find out what it was.
The best I could find was Coopers have red eyes and Sharp Shinned hawks have yellow eyes.
Beyond that I'm stumped and maybe Don, Eric or Jaime can help us identify both yours and mine.

Here's the stranger from my backyard (I'm guessing Sharp Shinned):

hawksm.jpg

Asher, this is a cooper's hawk in juvenile plumage the one you have photographed is a cooper's hawk in adult plumage mate. Yes some birds eyes do change colour with age but you do get the odd one's that have the same coloured eyes through out adulthood

Last week, on a small weekend outing, I had the pleasure of seeing a most beautiful peacock. The splendour of its feathers were completely entrancing:

11581421113_700b8f2e32_o.jpg

(Olympus E-5, Zuiko Digital 35-100mm f/2.0)

Asher Kelman

Last week, on a small weekend outing, I had the pleasure of seeing a most beautiful peacock. The splendour of its feathers were completely entrancing:

11581421113_700b8f2e32_o.jpg

(Olympus E-5, Zuiko Digital 35-100mm f/2.0)

Now, is there a setting for this, Dawid? Can't find it on my camera!!

Asher

Now, is there a setting for this, Dawid? Can't find it on my camera!!

Asher

Perhaps one of the "pictorial mode" settings, Asher? Look for the little peacock icon on the dial.
Alternatively, just use RawTherapee :)

I couldn't resist posting an actual-pixels crop of this image to share just how beautiful these feathers are up close. Please excuse the shallow field depth, the lighting was rather low, and I had to shoot at f/5.6 to maintain decent shutter speed:

peacock-feathers-crop.jpg

This is the sort of subject - rapidly-moving, spontaneous, and requiring deep depth of field in poor lighting - that I could never capture as sufficiently on 6x7cm film, unless I somehow had a great flash setup ready. The E-5 and the 35-100 lens makes it easy though - all I have to do is compose and click.

This might be obvious to anybody who only uses autofocus digital cameras, but it stands in stark contrast to my other cameras. Perhaps they made me appreciate this even more :)

Doug Herr

New to this forum, I am! Birds near my home and in the 'hood is my kind of topic.

I've set up a couple of feeders to bring them close to my camera.

Yellow-billed Magpie:

ybma01.jpg

White-crowned Sparrow:

wcspar11.jpg

Ring-necked Pheasant:

rnphea02.jpg

Anna's Hummingbird:

anhumm06.jpg

Asher Kelman

Yellow-billed Magpie:

ybma01.jpg

White-crowned Sparrow:

wcspar11.jpg

Ring-necked Pheasant:

rnphea02.jpg

Well, Doug,

These new pictures really threw me through a loop, LOL! I thought that Doug Kerr, our resident engineer and technical problem solver had gotten drunk and bought a Leica R8 and an amazing Digital Back that was introduced in 2003!

Anna's Hummingbird:

anhumm06.jpg

Then I realized that it was you, Doug Herr not our longtime asset, Doug Kerr, who I was thinking was catching humming birds that elude me!

Of course the pictures are so impressive and welcome here. We'd love to hear of your experience with this setup and on how the quality of this venerable and gentleman's setup ranks against other offerings you used.

Asher

Doug Herr

A very hearty welcome to you, Doug, and thanks for this collection of stunning images!

Where are you located?

Thanks Don and Asher for the welcome! I'm near Sacramento California (the Yellow-billed Magpie gives it away). I'll be writing more about my motivations and (ir)rational justifications a little later.

Doug Herr

My story (and I'm sticking to it):

I've always been fond of animals; in grade school I spent hours reading and re-reading Fredrick Kent Truslow's stories along with his wild bird photos in National Geographic and dreaming of having the same kind of adventures. My well-meaning parents noticed my interest and bought numerous bird books but unfortunately all but the Peterson's western field guide focussed on what was then the major book market in North America, the east coast. I was in California and I wanted to have pictures like the ones in the books but of the western birds I saw every day, so I decided I had to make the pictures myself. The Acorn Woodpecker especially motivated me:

acwo02.jpg

I had some success with my photograph of an American Pika

ampika00.jpg

which first appeared in a small west coast magazine published by the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park. The photo editor of Audubon magazine saw it there and wrote to me asking for it. Check the inside front cover of the September 1974 issue :)

Raising a family and the need to earn a real income distracted me for a number of years but once the kids were more or less independent I could return to my real passion, wildlife photography. At this time there was a new-fangled thing called the Internet and I quickly found several photography forums - but what's this, instead of discussing photography these people, no matter where I looked, were chasing technology, thinking the Next New Technology was going to make a difference in their pictures.

Well, yes it did make a difference in their pictures, but it made a difference in everyone else's pictures too so the net result was that by chasing technology along with the rest of the crowd nobody had any competitive advantage - and competitive it was! So I figured that if I want my photos to stand out from the crowd and the crowd goes left, I go right (no political implications intended).

I wanted to figure out how little technology I need to get the results I want so using myself as a test dummy I experimented with lowering my technology level until my pictures suffered.

Here's what I found:

I don't need or want auto exposure. I can do as well or better with a TTL spot meter setting the aperture and shutter speed myself based on my understanding of what the meter is telling me.

I do want the TTL viewing of an SLR, no rangefinder for me.

I do want the auto diaphragm.

I don't care for fast frame rates, I'd rather rely on knowing the animal's behavior and anticipating their next move.

I do not want to be restricted to focus 'points', whether the camera focusses automatically or I focus manually. Focus-lock-recompose fails too often for my taste.

And when the technology matured adequately the advantages of digital over film tipped me over from silver halide to silicon.

I also wanted to make no apologies for my pictures from a technical point of view and after buying, trying and re-selling a couple dozen lenses of numerous brands including Canon L and Nikon ED I found My Lens, the Leica 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R. It's a lot shorter than most forum denizens recommend for bird photography but over the years I've worked out several strategies for getting close enough without disturbing the critters, and 1.4x and 2x extenders help in a pinch.

Where does the Leica fit into this? The R8's plain matte viewscreen is optimized for manual focus anywhere in the picture area while the DMR provides the advantages of digital; the lens can be adapted to many other brands of cameras but only the Leica bodies utilize the auto-diaphragm feature of the lens and extenders. And I LOVE the color quality I can get from the DMR.

So there you have it. I'd rather not dwell much on the equipment preferring that the pictures speak for me.

greg03.jpg

witu21.jpg

A fascinating story, Doug - and much of it holds true for me. My initial interest in nature photography started in the middle of my college years, and I shot Kodachrome slides for several years. But then the demands of career and family sidetracked this, so that my photography consisted primarily of family snapshots.

But then in the late 90's, my passion for computers converged with my passion for photography, and so digital photography, spurred on also by the availability of a little more time and money, reignited my interest.

And while I do enjoy much of the technological aspects of photography, I agree 100% that the photographer is much more important than the photography gear. I also prefer Manual Exposure mode, although there are occasional circumstances when some form of automatic exposure is more practical. As I enjoy capturing birds in flight, I'll have to admit that I do enjoy and benefit from the high frame rate current DSLR's offer.

I look forward to your participation here!

Edited to Add:
Before seeing the label, I said to myself that Woodpecker looked just like the Acorn Woodpecker that I've frequently photographed in Costa Rica!

Doug Herr

... I had some little visitors that I had not been able to examine closely. however, I was so pleased to review the images. These are really pretty creatures, the size of a finch.

_MG_8233Birds_edited_flat_Cropped.jpg

Asher Kelman: Small Visitor! #1

Canon 6D 70-200 2.8L IS

_MG_8238Birds_edited and sharpened.jpg

Asher Kelman: Small Visitor! #2

Canon 6D 70-200 2.8L IS

If you can identify these chaps, I'll update and add their respective names.

Thanks,

Asher

Often the location will help identify the bird because it will narrow down the possibilities. However for this bird there isn't much question. I'd call it a California Towhee.

Doug Herr

I've gotten a few more photos at my back yard bird feeders:

wcspar13.jpg

Doug Herr: An Immature White-Crowned Sparrow

weblue13.jpg
weblue14.jpg

Doug Herr: A Pair of Western Bluebirds

gcspar07.jpg

Doug Herr: An Immature Golden-Crowned Sparrow

The Golden-crowned Sparrow is one of the more wary species in my yard and this year I think there's only one of these here. It should have its adult plumage before migrating north in the spring and I'm hoping to (finally) get a good picture of the adult plumage.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Reddish

Welcome to the neighborhood, and thanks for sharing! I like the Thrashers in particular, but don't get to see or shoot them too often, for some reason.

We just got back from a trip down the Georgia and Florida coast. Made a quick stop at Harris Neck NWR and Savannah NWR. I've had modest success there in the past; was kind of quiet this time around. Worth a visit if you're anywhere near there.

James Reddish

Thanks, Don. I only live about 30 minutes from Harris Neck NWR. I've shot there many times. I go to Savannah NWR sometimes, as I only live an hour from there. I'll probably be posting a lot of photos from Harris Neck. Thanks again.

Asher Kelman

Brown Thrasher

Wow, there are some awesome photos in this thread. I'm new to the forum from south Georgia, and I love bird/wildlife photos. Just thought I'd add a few from the neighborhood.

Brown Thrasher (Georgia State Bird)...

IMG_5496 by jamesreddish, on Flickr

IMG_5517top by jamesreddish, on Flickr​

James,

I missed this treat! I like the brown on yellow over it's chest. Handsome. Have seen nothing like this yet in California.

Asher