• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Beautiful Street People: my contribution first, then yours!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Dancers without music

Here is the original. I am new to Photoshop, but, I have been using Canon's Zoom Browser and Digital (DPP) Professional which I really like. On this one, I used the slide bars for contrast and color and then I adjusted the color using the levels and curves. It's very easy in these programs for me to use those to process my adjustments. I was trying to make a silk purse out of a photo I might have just gone on to delete in film days

75930880.Ma3eTDpf.jpg

Clayton Lofgren

Fairground

I hesitate to show my humble offerings here, but think I got lucky on some of them. These are from the local fairground at San Fernando de Apure in Venezuela. All with a KM5D and Sigma 24-135. I do my favorite
photography on the street- mostly headshots of the very young or very old.

http://www.twango.com/channel/clayven.FeriaSanFndo

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Very bright and energetic image, Mike!

I can see that the French advertizing machine has reached the streets of Sydney! Well these younf ladies certainly are happy and seem to have a great comradeship, fun and a joie de vivre!

Asher

Steve Leenhouts

My first 'beautiful street person' picture. This was taken at a street market in Jakarta. I chose this one because I like the way her hair falls to frame the face, and the red and green in opposite corners. Although I know very little about these things, the angle of her face feels right, and the oval shape of the face is balanced nicely to my eye.

Thanks,

Steve

81135343.nbhKCdce.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
My first 'beautiful street person' picture. This was taken at a street market in Jakarta. I chose this one because I like the way her hair falls to frame the face, and the red and green in opposite corners. Although I know very little about these things, the angle of her face feels right, and the oval shape of the face is balanced nicely to my eye.

Thanks,

Steve

81135343.nbhKCdce.jpg

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /g6/22/782022/3/81135343.nbhKCdce.jpg on this server.

Apache/2.0.58 (Unix) Server at i.pbase.com Port 80

i.pbase.com is really to often a problem for posting images in fora…

Maybe it's better to try with a URL link
createlink.gif
instead of an image
insertimage.gif

But then it will open in a new window… Like this

Doesn't work!!! Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Asher, I never told you, but I absolutely love this shot. It says so much about the personality of a casual/street artist like this, like the kind they get to play in restaurants, etc. I'm not even sure who this woman is that you photographed, but I almost always feel sorry for these artists (I'm not sure why, it must be something wrong with me, as surely they enjoy what they do).

However, it always feels as if they must be friendly, they must perform, because they are paid for it (or they are trying to market themselves). Somehow, I never feel the same for the quirky Jazz and Electronic artists, who often have very unusual and/or non-friendly stage personalities - in their case, it always seems to be about the music, about the art.

But the casual artists, who usually sing somebody else's songs... I always wonder if they really enjoy what they do. But you captured her so well here!

D.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Now I'd love to take more of her!

Yes, Dawid, these musicians are pure because they don't depend on Raz-ma-taz, sampling voice over.

Thanks for the good thoughts!

Asher

Angelica Oung

Girl on a scooter

Since taking candids on the street is one of my favorite things about photography, I've been enjoying this thread!

668032444_16c0721305_o.jpg

Taken on the streets of Athens.

Angelica Oung

Jack,
The image with the boy on a bicycle and the dog is really caught my eye for the strong lights and shadows. It's almost reminiscent of a black and white image, if you know what I mean.

Cem_Usakligil

Dancing on the streets

Folks,

This is one of my favorite threads here on OPF, such great pictures! I have been wanting to post something myself for quite some time, so here it comes.

These pictures were taken in a party/dance tent during the annual jazz festival in the town where I live. Interesting detail, I’ve used a Nikon mount 75-300 Sigma lens on my 5D using a adapter ring (manual focusing of course).

I hope you’ll enjoy them like I do.

img_29735_0_169829476-O.jpg

img_29735_1_169829498-O.jpg

Cheers,

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
One from Istanbul (For you Cem!)

This one is from Instanbul - just outside the Grand Bazaar. I have been wielding my camera around Greece, Croatia and Turkey the last few weeks and will have many contributions for this thread, after I go through and weed them down and process them. Here is one all done:

large.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Kathy,

I have already seen this one on your pbase gallery and liked it a lot. I like the whole setting, the clean background, the selective shallow focus, the defocusing of the area under his eyes due to his glasses, just everything!

He is selling national lottery tickets, BTW, which every Turk buys thrice monthly. It is a national addiction, the vain hope of becoming rich someday.

Show us more :).

Cheers,

Angelica Oung

I saw lottery sellers all over Athens too. Like this guy:

663514570_04c149f9c1.jpg

I really don't understand why people buy lottery tickets. But they love it. Maybe it is buying a dream.

Great shot, Kathy, I like how you exploited the geometry of how the lottery tickets are stacked, making a picture that might otherwise seem static project into our space.