• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Street Performers and Characters!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In almost every city we have talented and not so gifted folk dressed up in a style, being a character. So what have you shot? I know if you are in Los Angeles area, you can go to Hollywood Bloulevard, 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica and find Mimes, Guitarists, Guys on stilts, Dancers and more. Same with Denver Colarado, and along the Grand Canal in Venice and for sure in London and Paris. People selling genuine fake Rollexes or Gucci handbags perhaps. Maybe it's a finely dressed Italian man in Isatanbul offering a glass of wine and inviting you to see some carpets! So we have photographers all over the world. Show us the characters in your streets, one at a time!

Comments and feedback are limited to ~10 words or less!

Asher

Last edited:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
San Francisco

Here is one from Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco

373674154_rrtcz-M.jpg

Uh oh, Asher - I have a portolio full of street portraits...

Asher Kelman

_MG_3548_400.jpg

© 2008 Asher Kelman "The Seducer" 50mm f1.2, 1/250 sec, ISO 1600, no flash

This guy was at the entrance to a photo exhibition. He was very much in character of a messenger from a Greek God. He seemed most seductive to the women, but then I did not hang around.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, something very decadent about it. Well seen and captured.

_MG_3548_400.jpg

© 2008 Asher Kelman "The Seducer" 50mm f1.2, 1/250 sec, ISO 1600, no flash

This guy was at the entrance to a photo exhibition. He was very much in character of a messenger from a Greek God. He seemed most seductive to the women, but then I did not hang around.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Superb persona and fine waxed "British Air Force moustache"! Great capture, Kathy! Indeed he's a character!

Asher

Two wonderfull pictures! What a character and "The Seducer" is very seductive as a picture, beatifull light :)

img1701te6.jpg

This young man was creating "art" out of a suitcase. Using spraycans and a couple of cut outs only.

Martin

doug anderson

In almost every city we have talented and not so gifted folk dressed up in a style, being a character. So what have you shot? I know if you are in Los Angeles area, you can go to Hollywood Bloulevard, 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica and find Mimes, Guitarists, Guys on stilts, Dancers and more. Same with Denver Colarado, and along the Grand Canal in Venice and for sure in London and Paris. People selling genuine fake Rollexes or Gucci handbags perhaps. Maybe it's a finely dressed Italian man in Isatanbul offering a glass of wine and inviting you to see some carpets! So we have photographers all over the world. Show us the characters in your streets, one at a time!

Comments and feedback are limited to ~10 words or less!

Asher

When I lived in California, I shot thousands of pictures at Venice Beach, but they are film. I'll have to scan some.

D

Gary Ayala

A few street snaps:

Death take a Holiday
Hollyweird, CA
104226422_iPTw2-L.jpg

On the Horn
Hollywood, CA
40637880_y6SEQ-L.jpg

Mr. Blues
Downtown Disney, CA
183664602_mRmsP-L.jpg

Now for Something Completely Different
Downtown Disney, CA
134721362_CvMUJ-L-1.jpg

Gary

Asher Kelman

1-2 only in Themes!

Gary

Who's the violinist? I really like that picture. Hmm? Is that a portrait?

Asher

Gary Ayala

1-2 only in Themes!

Gary

Who's the violinist? I really like that picture. Hmm? Is that a portrait?

Asher

"1-2 only in Themes!" ... Huh ... Did I post too many? Sorry.

The violinist is Drew Tretick ... a regulat at Downtown Disney. (I purchased one ofhis CD's ... not as good as Josh Bell, but then who is ...)

A portrait ... well yeah an environmental portrait as he is working.

More of Trtetick can be found here:
http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/3303100_bKur7#183651977_3JpfS

Gary

Asher Kelman

_MG_3697_Seducer_hand_on_Girl400.jpg

© 2008 Asher Kelman "The Seducer's Hand" 50mm f1.2, 1/500 sec, ISO 1600, no flash

I passed by this same actor by the entrance when we came out of the exhibition. Obviously he's still in character and the young lady took it all in stride! He actually was most respectful and courteous. His fingers never touched her skin, just floated near her.

Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel Foster

The photos in this thread are arresting and wonderful. Kathy's especially caught my eye due to the wonderful lighting.

This is an area I'm woefully inadequate in. Background throws me off and I'm not able to frame or conceptualize this sort of shot.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Thank you

Thank you, Rachel. Lots of practice. Wide open aperture. This was with the 24-70 2.8 lens. But you can do it with the 24-105 at 4.0-5.6. It's also about learning to see the light around subjects. Many classes taken too

Rachel Foster

I have the 24-105! My husband and his guitar collecting cronies call their obsession with more and more gear GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome). I have GAS (gear acquistion syndrome), too. I am big time wanting a 5d. Oooooh, Santa? Are you listening?

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Yes..

I know you have that great lens. I reach for that lens first now most of the time. I am hoping for a new lens from Canon - 24-105 2.8is

Antonio Correia

This afternoon, the 30.th September 2008

I am sorry if the white background of this forum doesn't allow to see the white frame.
Here you can it. Thank you. :)

383803376_s2dW3-XL.jpg

Gary Ayala

Antonio-

Does that cowboy ever move .. or just stand there for "gratidão"?

Gary

PS- real cowboys don't wear sunglasses, straw hats or gold colored boots.
G

Antonio Correia

Antonio-
Does that cowboy ever move .. or just stand there for "gratidão"?
Gary
PS- real cowboys don't wear sunglasses, straw hats or gold colored boots. G

He was there bagging some money. :)
Why real cowboys don't use sunglasses ? straw hats or even gold boot ?
Why not ?
Sunglasses is very good to protect the eyes - everyone should were polarized ones - straw hats are good because they ventilate the head which produces better thoughts for voting (and not only), but the golden boots ... I don´t have any excuse LOL
Cheers.

DLibrach

Been a while since I've been to the boards. Forgot what a great resource this is. Anyways.... street photography is not usually my thing but here are two (sorry, really couldn't narrow it down hope you don't kick me off for it :)) street musicians from a recent photo trip to BC, Canada that I could not resist. Taken in Victoria.

365303241_4rZau-L-3.jpg

365319079_T4Jer-L-3.jpg

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. I'll remove one if preferred.

Asher Kelman

David,

I love them both and imagine meeting each and lingering. I always want to know if we paid them enough! Imagine that walk without them?

Asher

Fabrice at work

At the end of summer celebration in the Amsterdam area "De Pijp" local artist Fabrice was demonstrating his tallents ..

92196062gs3.jpg

Martin

edit: followed Cem's suggestion to slightly crop from the right.

Last edited: