• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Old harbour in Rotterdam, part 2

Cem_Usakligil

The old harbour of Rotterdam is a favourite spot of mine and I revisit it frequently. I have previously shown some pictures in this thread. Today, I have gone back with the intention of capturing some impromptu/fun pictures with my new EF 70-200L f4 IS lens. Here are some of them, please feel free to comment if you want to.

f44743.jpg

f44775.jpg

f44845.jpg

f44863.jpg

Continued in the next post...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

This seems to be a whole new exploration of colors and form in a setting of a timeless present tense. No obvious portals or dominant reflections of your past works or the static stares of sculptures. This is the detail of thriving maritime trade and pride to boot!

I find this uplifting.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

This seems to be a whole new exploration of colors and form in a setting of a timeless present tense. No obvious portals or dominant reflections of your past works or the static stares of sculptures. This is the detail of thriving maritime trade and pride to boot!

I find this uplifting.

Asher
Thanks Asher.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Cem,

Some mages are uplifting. We help each other by sharing the good we find n a world we share beset with too many obstacles. This way we can get a boost of encouragement. So your pictures are sorely missed!

Asher

Hey Cem, I've throttled my visits to OPF down to every several days or so. Used to visit every day but priorities and circumstances change. That's life, eh? Anyway, your photos were posted and then removed before I had a chance to view them. I'd like to see the old harbour, care to try again?

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

Unfortunately, more than 70 lookers and only one reaction from you means that this is simply not true.

Cem,

My response was based on your pictures here being uplifting to me. Is that not in itself sufficient? Yes the other 69 should also respond, but likely as not, you gave them some joy.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

I had wanted to comment on what looked like fire apparatus in your harbor pix, but I was tangled up with a few things here and didn't get to do it as soon as I would have liked.

Sorry the pix are no longer accessible.

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

On hindsight, taking the images offline was not the right thing to do. I have now reposted them for your perusal. Thanks for taking your precious time.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

On hindsight, taking the images offline was not the right thing to do. I have now reposted them for your perusal. Thanks for taking your precious time.
Excellent.

These are beautiful and fascinating images.

As I said, I have the impression that two of them (-44896 and -44905) may be fire apparatus.

Even if not, the bright colors there are stunning (not to in any way demean the subtler colors in some of the other shots).

The group "covers the waterfront" (to make a bad pun) in terms of specific subjects, composition style, and "palette".

Thanks for sharing this work with us.

And thanks for the metadata (Exif and IPTC: IIM and XMP!)).

Best regards,

Doug

Cem, I think you nailed these shots and Doug nailed the comments. They are remarkable photos; thank you for bringing them back online.

The old harbour of Rotterdam is a favourite spot of mine and I revisit it frequently. I have previously shown some pictures in this thread. Today, I have gone back with the intention of capturing some impromptu/fun pictures with my new EF 70-200L f4 IS lens. Here are some of them, please feel free to comment if you want to.

f44775.jpg

QUOTE]

This is my favorite of the group.

I'm not so elagant with my critiques as more experienced photographers, but I like the contrast in colors. My eyes are brought to the lady in white, with an urban foreground, as she shows us an interesting background.
She's showing us history(light tower), present(modern buildings) and tools(crane) for building the future all while on an urban graffiti stage.​

Jerome Marot

Hi Asher,

Unfortunately, more than 70 lookers and only one reaction from you means that this is simply not true.

That is a good example of unreasonable expectations. First, this is OPF and comments are always slow. Second, you can't relate the number or possible posters to the number of views. If I watch the thread twice, the count will increase by two. If I watch the thread without being logged in, the count also increase. Yes: the count also increases for non-OPF members who cannot comment. I alone probably increased the count by at least 10 (I sometimes watch OPF at work but never log in there).

Such is also the case in flickr, btw. The numbers of views also increases for people who are not members and cannot comment. I have a few test pictures which are regularly called from a forum in China. Large number of views, but no comment. Probably the people from that forum are not flickr members. For all I know, they may only be able to read Chinese.

Another word of caution: you would get more comments if you had not posted 11 pictures in one go. This is too much work. Of course, sometimes it makes sense to post a series of pictures, when they are on the same subject. But here you have at least two different sets: pictures simply documenting how the harbour is (which are fine but would not need much comment, I think) and pictures which are more graphical. On those, I like 5 (the colors are well seen) and 8 (the strongest in the whole series in my opinion).

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Jerome,

That is a good example of unreasonable expectations. First, this is OPF and comments are always slow. Second, you can't relate the number or possible posters to the number of views. If I watch the thread twice, the count will increase by two. If I watch the thread without being logged in, the count also increase. Yes: the count also increases for non-OPF members who cannot comment. I alone probably increased the count by at least 10 (I sometimes watch OPF at work but never log in there).

Such is also the case in flickr, btw. The numbers of views also increases for people who are not members and cannot comment. I have a few test pictures which are regularly called from a forum in China. Large number of views, but no comment. Probably the people from that forum are not flickr members. For all I know, they may only be able to read Chinese.

Another word of caution: you would get more comments if you had not posted 11 pictures in one go. This is too much work. Of course, sometimes it makes sense to post a series of pictures, when they are on the same subject. But here you have at least two different sets: pictures simply documenting how the harbour is (which are fine but would not need much comment, I think) and pictures which are more graphical. On those, I like 5 (the colors are well seen) and 8 (the strongest in the whole series in my opinion).

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate it and I also like #8 a lot myself.

Last edited:

StuartRae

Hi Cem,

Well, some of the visitors were me. ;)

Firstly I don't feel qualified to critique your photos; all I can say is "Nice shots", or "I like them", which is true but rather condescending and not at all helpful. I may make such comments to new members to provide encouragement, but not to an person of your ability.

Secondly you didn't ask for critique. I know how you feel about prefixes and I share your views; I don't use them myself, especially 'Critique desired' as I feel it's making a demand on other members. However some viewers may interpret the absence of the prefix as meaning that you specifically don't want comments.

Thirdly Jerome makes the valid point that 11 images is really too many if you want detailed comments.

So let me just say that I very much enjoyed looking at your images, especially the colours and shapes, while appreciating the time and care you always take in getting the shot framed exactly as you intend.

And now a small request. PLEASE don't sell all your gear. Take one camera and one lens and lock them away somewhere safe. In a couple of months you can take them out and start enjoying them again.

Take care my friend,

Stuart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Doug,

Firstly, I really would like to thank you for your unwavering support, you are a good friend indeed.

...As I said, I have the impression that two of them (-44896 and -44905) may be fire apparatus.

Even if not, the bright colors there are stunning (not to in any way demean the subtler colors in some of the other shots)...
Yes indeed, these were fire extinguisher boats. Here is a context photo which might give you a better idea:

f44882.jpg

.....And thanks for the metadata (Exif and IPTC: IIM and XMP!)).
Remember I have promised to you that I would start including the Exif data in your Exif thread? Well, I have kept my promise. :)

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Jake,

....This is my favorite of the group.

I'm not so elagant with my critiques as more experienced photographers, but I like the contrast in colors. My eyes are brought to the lady in white, with an urban foreground, as she shows us an interesting background.
She's showing us history(light tower), present(modern buildings) and tools(crane) for building the future all while on an urban graffiti stage.
I am more than happy to hear you chime in and I do not judge anybody against the level of C&C they deliver, not at all! But I should say that you are too humble. Your comments have managed to fire up my imagination by just using a few but direct and effective words. Thanks a lot!

Cem_Usakligil

Cem, I think you nailed these shots and Doug nailed the comments. They are remarkable photos; thank you for bringing them back online.
Tom you are welcome. I knew of course that you are very much interested in maritime heritage and industry, so I guessed that you would enjoy seeing these. :)

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Stuart,

Hi Cem,

Well, some of the visitors were me. ;)

Firstly I don't feel qualified to critique your photos; all I can say is "Nice shots", or "I like them", which is true but rather condescending and not at all helpful. I may make such comments to new members to provide encouragement, but not to an person of your ability.

Secondly you didn't ask for critique. I know how you feel about prefixes and I share your views; I don't use them myself, especially 'Critique desired' as I feel it's making a demand on other members. However some viewers may interpret the absence of the prefix as meaning that you specifically don't want comments.

Thirdly Jerome makes the valid point that 11 images is really too many if you want detailed comments.

So let me just say that I very much enjoyed looking at your images, especially the colours and shapes, while appreciating the time and care you always take in getting the shot framed exactly as you intend.

And now a small request. PLEASE don't sell all your gear. Take one camera and one lens and lock them away somewhere safe. In a couple of months you can take them out and start enjoying them again.

Take care my friend,

Stuart
You are very kind, thank you for these words of encouragement; they really help. You knew that I hate those pesky prefixes and never use them, lol! Jerome and you are right in that 11 images are too much to post in one go. Perhaps I should have throttled them over a period of time, but I have never learned to do things in moderation. Re. your request, it has been voiced by many good friends over the past two days via mails, PMs, etc. I cannot help but comply!

fahim mohammed

Cem, post what moves you to share with us. It is a privilege, for me at least, to see the beautiful variety
that you see in your subjects.

The contrast and colors in this 2nd series is outstanding. You know that I like to work in contrasts..be it colors or opinions!!

Thank you, as always, for inviting us to share your world.

Best regards.