• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Bread making

Just because I was enjoying making some bread, I took pictures of the results...

Bread-making-1.jpg

I only have one problem with the bottom right background.
ever thing else looks good.

Your making me hungry for homemade bread.

I only have one problem with the bottom right background.
ever thing else looks good.

Your making me hungry for homemade bread.

Just made with a point and shoot, and in the kitchen worktop
For sure the background could be more elaborate... I tried to step back and zoom at the max in order to blur it but these little things have their limitations. I've just increased the sharpness of the slices in PS.... The coffee maker is just there to break the background pattern... It was just a quick shot at Breakfast time....

Thank you. It was edible at the end :)

Mike Shimwell

I like the background - a cafetierre is the next best thing to a La Pavoni and indicates clearly the mood for me.

I'm looking forward to the Saturday bake already.

Perhaps we should share some bread recipes?

Mike

No problem....
Unfortunately my late father didn't gave me that much legacy in terms of bread making... One thing that I just remember is:
The simpler, the better
the longer, the better

So (in French bread) no oil, butter, lard. No sugar.
Just flour, water, salt, yeast.
If you knead with a machine, it must have a hook shaped device (like an Artisan or a Kenwood - not cheap) and be used a low speed - or cheaper, by hand. At least 15 minutes the first knead.

The water might be a room temperature. The dough increases in temperature when kneaded, and afterwards when the bacteria starts to produce air (exo-thermical).

You don't need to keep the dough in a warm place especially. It takes longer to rise at a lower temperature but it still works.

My routine is the first rise can de something like 2hrs, in a cupboard, no draughts. then kneaded again, shaped then I put the dough in the fridge for 24 hours or so. The bread is softer when it takes longer.

The one you see there is made with seeds added to the flour and some walnut oil. It's more an Italian-style bread.

I used some of them they are perfect to make brioche (I don't know the equivalent in English) some are programmable so you can smell the bread when you wake up! Huuummm...

Pizza dough, ciabatta, french bread, multi flower bread, equipped with automatic dispenser unit for stuff like nuts or cheese, and yep, fully programmable, nothing you can't do with them these days. Best thing ever!

Apart from that, the bread, without any conservatives, keeps much longer than bread you would buy in the shops.

My favorite is a 5x cheese and sun dried tomatoes with a wee bit of pesto in it as well. Yumm! :)

Mike Shimwell

Just made wheat with some rye and oats. Left rise over night and will knock back and final prove before breakfast.

Sandrine, more time (and less yeast) is usually good, but wholemeal and spelt need made quicker.

Mike

Hi mike,
All I am telling is based from trial and errors and reading books that mostly the opposite of the one I read before :)
I usually don't make wholemeal but maybe it's because I had some failures...
Everything is explained then,
I am a real fan of Pannetone, and you can easily make some in a bread maker, try it it's wonderful...For my part I think I'll make some - by hand - tonight. It keep my arms muscles in the right shape for the day I'll have to carry a camera all day long. :)

Hi Sandrine
We got a Panasonic bread-maker just before Xmas that I'm playing with. Excellent tasting whole wheat or barley bread that didn't rise as much as expected. So I tried kneading the mixture beforehand, and then put it in the bread-maker. Wow: Did it rise that time! Have fun.
Cheers
Mike

I just followed the recipe and for those who wanted to try, I'll point some improvements.
I added nearly 100 gr of Flour from the original recipe in order to make it less sticky, So the amount of yeast and sugar has to be increase. The bread is not sweet enough and it could have rise higher to my opinion. I also had issues with the temperature of the oven (you can see that on the burnt top). Maybe I misunderstood the temperatures (as I'm not accustomed with the Fahrenheit). Finally I've set it at 200 degrees (Celsius, we are in a civilised country, dammit!!!) for about 1 hour (1 didn't split the dough in two). Also the proportions for the preferment shows too much milk (probably where the problem of the sticky dough comes in the first place).

Mike Shimwell

Sandrine

This is the first time I've seen pictures of your panetone - now I'll have to try the recipe.

I had to bake twice this weekend, as the gluttons ate all the first batch in a day. Here's tonight's effort.

bread.jpg

1lb 12oz strong white flour
4oz wholemeal rye
1/2oz fresh yeast
2 tsp salt
2 tsp poppy seeds
2 tsp linseeds
1 tsp raw sesame seeds
17 fl oz water

I'm going to have to get the big bowl out again and start doing 4lb of flour at a time.

Mike

I see them well with a nice wedge of Stilton.... :)
But as I am a continental one, I still have some issues with oz, Fl oz and lb. (even the abbreviations doesn't match the noun* tsstss)
So I make all my ones with 500gr of flour and the rest accordingly...It makes huge loaves that nobody wants to finish. But I think 'll try with rye, it looks good...

* And I don't even talk about stones, inches, miles... (none of them dividing by ten which is a nightmare For french- and maybe other countries) Fortunately you gave up farthing, sovereigns and shillings. :)

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/moneyold.htm

2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)
3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)
6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)
12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)
2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)
2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6d)
5 shillings = 1 Crown (5s)

Madness! :)