Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Lock mode button for Canon: Is there bang for the buck?

]

Canon Product Advisory: here

Canon's new Mode lock button can be yours for $100! While other companies, like Pentax and Nikon, built this into the mode dial, we Canon loyalists have to pay extra for what should be considered repairing a design flaw. Or is my frustration unique finding that the mode button shitted from Manual to Tv during a shoot!

So who is going to update their cameras?

I for one! Really I love my canons and welcome the fix. But $100? That's steep!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:13 AM

Asher, I had two reactions when I first saw this fix a couple days ago. First was, "alright!", and the second, when I saw the price was, "no way!" I'll continue to use a bit of vinyl electric tape to keep my mode dial locked on manual. The tape doesn't last too long, but at less than a penny per application, the body will be a museum piece before total cost of tape reaches even a small fraction of the cost of the lock.

And then, thinking about it some more, I realized that this lock is really a fix for a design flaw. Asking owners to pony up for the fix is a bit arrogant, don't you think?

I think I read that it would be available only in Japan for the time being, so it won't a decision to wrestle with any time soon.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:30 AM

I had that one on my Nikon FA and Olympus OM30 many moons ago (you had to lift the wheel in order to de-lock it)....That's Progress!
Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:02 AM

Hi, Asher,

Interesting development.

I personally do not have any problem inadvertently changing the shooting mode on EOS digital cameras.

I would likely find a full-time release button a nuisance, but perhaps not.

Now, if Canon would introduce a release button that could be, for example by depressing it and turning it, disabled, I would think that very nice.

I have changed shutter release buttons in EOS digital cameras, and I would not do it for $100.00. (Free, perhaps, but not for $100.00.)

Best regards,

Doug
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:42 AM

Happily they are not offering this for the T2i, as I would be tempted. I'll stick (so to speak) with gaffer's tape.

Nill
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:22 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robbins View Post
Asher, I had two reactions when I first saw this fix a couple days ago. First was, "alright!", and the second, when I saw the price was, "no way!" I'll continue to use a bit of vinyl electric tape to keep my mode dial locked on manual. The tape doesn't last too long, but at less than a penny per application, the body will be a museum piece before total cost of tape reaches even a small fraction of the cost of the lock.
I find the moving of the dial a real issue every single day! It's a design flaw IMHO. The tape is not a solution for me as I do change often between manual and Av. Those are all I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robbins View Post
I think I read that it would be available only in Japan for the time being, so it won't a decision to wrestle with any time soon.
It's supposed to be avalable in US service centers from December 2010!

Contact Information for Inquiries:
Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon Customer Support Center
Phone: 1-800-OK-CANON
1-800-652-2666
TTD: 1-866-251-3752
E-mail: carecenter@cits.canon.com
Support options and hours of operation: http://www.usa.canon.com/support

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 4th, 2010, 12:34 AM

Default All the time

It's so annoying to spend $2500 plus tax for a camera and have photos that are useless because you knock the dial into the wrong mode. It doesn't take much. I have more than one 5d2 so it's more than $100 for me but I think necessary to do.
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:24 PM

I'l love to dial mode lock for my 550D, but I don't think that I'm will to fork out $100 yet.
Maybe I'll change my mind when I end up with some ruined photos because the dial shifted on me :-)
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:03 PM

My cheap Canon XT doesn't even have the locking mode button, Nor would I wouldn't pay for there design flaw. if enough people complain about it they might drop the price.
Old January 15th, 2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody White View Post
My cheap Canon XT doesn't even have the locking mode button, Nor would I wouldn't pay for there design flaw. if enough people complain about it they might drop the price.
Yea ,I so want a 7D and will get one when it comes down a little more .I have a XT as well but once I put it in AV of which I use most the time it stays . I do not see how it gets knocked out easy.
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:56 AM

Would love it but not available for my 5D classics, oh well, knocked my dial onto something weird 3 times during the last wedding...
Old January 16th, 2011, 08:00 AM

Hi, Cody,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody White View Post
Are we thinking of the same Canon?

Best regards,

Doug