Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Landscape - Travel

Old January 1st, 2012, 02:35 PM

Default New Take on an Old Subject

Hello Folks,

I introduced myself some years ago with a post that included an infrared photo of an old coal chute (http://www.pbase.com/salty_one/image/94826027). The thing still stands, but the railroad would demolish it if the funds were available to do so. In the meantime, they've build up a substantial berm along the railway to discourage casual visibility and trespassing. Subtle, sideways, views of the old timer are still possible, but anything more will involve trespass.

Coal Chute and Fog
Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:57 AM

I must have missed the original picture, what a wonderful photo!
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:25 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robbins View Post
Hello Folks,

I introduced myself some years ago with a post that included an infrared photo of an old coal chute (http://www.pbase.com/salty_one/image/94826027). The thing still stands, but the railroad would demolish it if the funds were available to do so. In the meantime, they've build up a substantial berm along the railway to discourage casual visibility and trespassing. Subtle, sideways, views of the old timer are still possible, but anything more will involve trespass.

Coal Chute and Fog
Tom,

The mist makes the picture. Great find! Do you have more shots with that mood?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:49 AM

Hi, Tom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robbins View Post
Hello Folks,

Coal Chute and Fog
Wonderful shot.

I don't often encourage conversion to B&W, but I have an idea that this shot might do well in B&W. (Funny but I seem to most often suggest that for railroad shots!)

Nice to see the signal heads. Is this on an active line?

Thanks for bringing this very nice image back into view for us.

Best regards,

Doug
Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:51 PM

Hello Ben, Asher, and Doug,

Thank you for looking and taking the time to comment. This old coal chute straddles very active Union Pacific tracks in DeKalb, Illinois. The relics are becoming rarer with time, and it is sad that there doesn't seem to be any way to preserve those still standing. The idea to preserve the thing is probably impractical with liability concerns and other considerations.

I don't have other railroad photos with the same degree of fog, Asher, but this single-track trestle might have something of the same mood due to the conditions at the time.

Railroad Trestle

Fog has a way of scattering light every which way, and so it can sometimes contribute even when it is not directly visible in the photo. Well, that's the theory here, anyway. This one was taken last May in Bureau County, Illinois. It was a day that remained consistently foggy through periods of dark with thunder alternating with periods of what must have been "partly cloudy". When the persistent clouds remain at ground level, conditions aloft can only be inferred. Watching the permutations that day was a joy.