• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Pentax 85mm f 1.9 does Bokeh in Beverly Hills

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have been following Dr. Klaus Schmitt's rich images of flowers taken with interesting lenses and distinctive Bokeh, from bubbles to ground glass smooth.

Having a Sony A7R and a helical mount for M42 mount lenses, allows use of vintage lenses that can be had for buttons to gold bullion according to status and cult values.

I went after a genuine Pentax 85mm f 1.9 which has a great reputation for being sharp stopped down and fab bokeh opened up.

So here's a trio of pictures with different bokeh effect based on the background and character of the light.

_DSC9141.jpg

_DSC9142.jpg

_DSC9143.jpg

Asher Kelman: Roses stolen from other folks gardens: A trio

Sony A7R Pentax 85mm 1.9 on helical macro mount

My wife noted that these could be a better bet than shooting beautiful women. They don't need to be paid or fed or need a parking space.

Still, I'm old fashioned. Something about a beautiful woman that flowers even with all their scent can't deliver!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks for dropping by. Let's see what other roses in the neighbors gardens!

_DSC9158.jpg

Asher Kelman: Roses stolen from other folks gardens: An English Rose, Perhaps!

This is the kind of rose I grew in my garden in London, when I was very young. However here, the roses are far more varied. I just think of them as "Vagabonds" and I love to photograph them when the owners are away!

_DSC9173.jpg

_DSC9157.jpg

Asher Kelman: Roses stolen from other folks gardens: Rose Vagabonds!

More to follow!

Asher

Asher Kelman

nice ones to start with Asher! (I'm missing a bit contrast in some, was that deliberately done?)

Thanks for the visit, Klaus!

I am shooting into the sun, so there may be some flare.

Which pictures suffer the most? I could use some local contrast sharpening, perhaps, but it could also be my taste in processing.

Asher

Asher Kelman

It's just a matter of taste, I was just wondering if you wanted that flared retro look ... ;-)

Klaus,

I have not had so much pure fun with any thing as these lenses in such a long time. All this comes from being ignited to follow your examples. Your work gives me appreciation of getting close. If not for something really weird that makes me still shoot beautiful women, I'd give them up for macro shots of flowers with old lenses!

Flowers don't ask for anything in return and they're always in a good mood!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

I cannot more than agree to that! For me it is like a meditative walk, refreshing and inspiring every time - and yes, magical in some sense.