• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dawid Loubser

When people see my photographs, I'd like for them to glimpse the symbolic patterns, arrangements, and underlying stories that I can't stop seeing. As a thread woven through all my life experiences, I aspire to provide a photographic backdrop for understanding and interpretation about our times which are still yet to be made.

I like to challenge the everyday in terms of composition, and tone. I primarily work with monochrome film, printed by hand on silver-gelatin paper. When I work with these media, I am reminded that photography - and I as photographer - are part of this physical world that I capture, and not merely a disconnected record of it. Every piece of film was there with me, every ray of light traveling towards my print deflected by my hands. Every picture a structurally non-manipulated representation of what was there.

My current work focuses on the expression of emotions and symbolism in non-human subjects, and of capturing daily life in South Africa from the uniquely uncomfortable position of a priviledged technology professional in an environment that actively opresses the minority group that I find myself in. After two traumatic and life-threatening crime experiences, I started capturing unbiased, tiny slices of life around me on film as a reminder that we are all one, sharing one future in this utterly remarkable world.

Stop/Go

stopGo-51-20.jpg

Name: Stop/Go

2009, Karoo, South Africa

Silver Gelatin on 300gsm fibre-based paper, textured matte finish

12x16in, signed and dated

an edition of 5 prints

Dispair

dispair-155-20.jpg

Name: Dispair

2011, Sandton, South Africa

Silver Gelatin on 300gsm fibre-based paper, textured matte finish