Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:16 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default April 2 2007: ARTHUR MORRIS SWITCHES TO NIKON!

Everyone knows that Arthur Morris is a great Bird man! He has served Canon superbly by delivering some of the finest birds photographs we have ever seen!

© 2007 Arthur Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Morris
After using Canon equipment since 1983, Arthur Morris announced in a press release today that he was switching to Nikon. He resigned as a Canon Explorer of Light and has already been pre-selected as a member of Nikon’s prestigious “Legends Behind the Lens” group. Nikon enticed him to switch by offering a complete War Chest of Nikon cameras, lenses, and accessories. Mr. Morris is excited about getting his hands on some D2X bodie
Source: Arthur Morris

Last edited by Asher Kelman; April 2nd, 2007 at 04:04 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:58 AM

I would like to hear the story behind this one.

If he switched for the sole reason of free gear, he is no better than todays professional baseball and football players and their contracts; imo his credibility is not too good in the realm of camera and lens systems.

Canon, cs2, WinXP

vini vidi velcro : I came, I saw, I stuck around
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:39 AM

I understand that it was an April Fool's post.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM

On April 2nd ?

Canon, cs2, WinXP

vini vidi velcro : I came, I saw, I stuck around
Old April 2nd, 2007, 12:44 PM

I personally don't care what system he uses as long as he keeps taking those beautiful photographs!
Old April 2nd, 2007, 12:55 PM

Hi folks,

This should make you subscribe to Arthur's newsletter. That was item number one, then the large news on getting the stop searching function from the 1DIII to all the 1D series pro cameras. That was what I thought you would find when you checked it out!

So Arthur, of course, continued,

HAPPY APRIL FOOL’S DAY

I hope that not too many of you were taken in by item 1, above, which is—of course—April Fool’s Day humor. My relationship with Canon is and has been a wonderful one and I look forward to using Canon equipment for at least another 24 years. Do know that good photographers make good images with whatever equipment they have in hand, and that great photographers make great images regardless of which brand camera they choose. Or, as Michael Reichmann says, “Most lenses are better than most photographers.” I hope that I got at least a few of you…

April Fools' jokes are, by tradition, only valid until 12 Noon. Still I liked this one and my imagination of the flurry of activity buying his Canon lenses, made the timing like outdated antibiotics, which usually still work!

What's interesting is the dishonesty in the featuring of girls with beautiful skin as Chanel or Lancome, has nothing to do with the products. The pictures of any of the people touted by Canon, Nikon, Pentax have little relationship to their status a the star photographers to prove the worth of their cameras and lenses.

We still are impressed!

The fact is, Arthur could have switched if the price was right.

Would you?

Asher

Last edited by Asher Kelman; April 2nd, 2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 01:11 PM

Asher, the only reasonable thing to do is perform a statistical analysis of all the published pictures that one likes each year and then switch to the system most often producing those shots. Right? That would increase the number of keepers, as would Canon and Nikon endowing official tripod marks at various scenic spots.

I haven't worked out a good system for the Magnum sorts tho'. Endowing shell craters during a war doesn't seem practical, nor does leaving mummified bodies in place. Maybe GPS readings would work.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:21 PM

Paying someone for a spiritual sceance to contact Bresson or Adams has a greater chance of helping me improve my work!

Asher
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:05 AM

Where do I sign up?
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM

Great April trick! I've been using Nikon for about 20 years and have had D1, D1x, D2x, D200, D100, D70 and D50. I've decided to gradually migrate to Canon soon, the main reason is that Canon high-ISO images are so much cleaner than Nikon ones. Nikon's reliance on Sony for sensors doesn't inspire much confidence. I'll be keeping some of my Nikon kit for the moment, but can't see myself using it much when the f2.8 1DIII, 300,7 0-200 & 24-70 arrive. The Nikon glass is superb and well made, but they just aren't doing the business with the bodies these days. Also, the 2 year Canon warranty is appealing and I've never had good experience with Nikon for warranty work etc.

BTW, does anyone know if the white Canon lenses can be bought in black instead? My local dealer thinks not but isn't sure.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:53 PM

Well,

It was not impossible. After all, it could be that certain photographers are testing some new nikon wonder machine that will blow everything we've kown out of the water. Imagine for one moment that all Nikon does are two things:

1. Improve shadow detail and 2. Become the leader in focus and tracking with dim light and dark clothes.

All this is within Nikon's technical capability.

Without changing frame rate or sensor size, they would become the de facto leader in sports and wedding DSLR work as the Nkon color is alread superb.

Asher
Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:10 PM
pro member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Saunders View Post
BTW, does anyone know if the white Canon lenses can be bought in black instead?
Never heard of it, so I guess not. The light color is intended to reduce temperature build-up, but it also makes them rather visible. You can get camouflage covers for them if you need.

Bart