Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old March 9th, 2007, 10:24 PM

Default Metz 58

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron..._AF-1.647.html

I'm very happy to see this new entry : it looks much better than the current 54 (that I use on a 1Ds): more power, I can use the secondary reflector even in E-TTL, there is no need to upgrade the SCA in case of change of camera? (it's a question since that's not clear yet) LOL
in any case the updates are now available on the internet (thanks to a USB connection).
it's also smaller and lighter and of course goes in AUTO.
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:48 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the great information in your first post!

Please also introduce yourself in the Introduction Forum, so everyone can get to know you.

Could you explain why this is so good compared ro the 580 EX especially if one was about to by new new 580EXII which has just been announced?

Asher
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Asher,
the 1Ds (and 1D) that I have use the regular E-TTL which is dangerous and not consistent given the fact that it meters the intensity with prevalence on the focus area selected. the Metz are auto thrystor flashes and give a better percentage of flash exposures.
The introduction of E-TTL II did in part fix the problem . Still I prefer the Auto thrystor tecnology.
In any case for who still shoots 1Ds,1D, 10D (classic) the use of a Metz is almost mandatory
In my opinion of course.

The only problem I had with the metz 54 was the .. size , now the new 58 shows a nice design, compact, lighter but it's "dedicated" (Canon or Nikon) and it doesn't have any SCA but it can be updated via software. Basically it will be compatible with any present and future camera.

The 580II has a great sealing (at the mount of the flash shoe), but it's a disaster with the cameras I have .. LOL
Old March 10th, 2007, 01:27 PM

The new 580ex II also has auto mode and the interface and dial is far more user friendly, you will also get auto mode in Av and Tv which you don't with your Metz. It will also recycle far faster. (I used to own 2 Metz 54's in my 1Ds days).
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:02 PM

you're right, but I need to understand better what kind of "Auto" Canon uses and most importantly if only works for non canon cameras.
You used to have the metz on your 1Ds... so you know how difficult it is to convince mine to use anything else .. LOL

I upgraded (well, Bogen did it, kindly and for free) the SCA and I can shoot AV and TV with no problem.. I believe that's the SCA M1 for 1D/1Ds

The other thing that I like with this new 58 is the secondary reflector that I use a lot with the 54.

But I agree about the ergonomics, since I use the metz with my eyes closed and for me to get use d to a new interface will take some time and efforts
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM

I'm back with new info on the canon 580 EX II just to report that the auto (thyristor) mode will work in auto only on a 1Dmark III while with other EOS it will need to be set manually. Basically the shutter speed, ISO and Aperture won't be automatically reported by the flash (on everything but the 1DIII) and the photographer will have to adjust the settings manually on the flash. Not sure it's what I wanted to see on this new 580 but that's how it should be at least reading this page of the manual:

well, this is my interpretation of it: I hope I'm wrong...