• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Introducing Layers: Rachel's eye conundrum!

Rachel Foster

The first posts are copied from Rachel's original thread in the retouch forum. This subject straddles two areas:

1. The retouching of images with a particular problem to be addressed.
  2. The principles behind layers, selection and use of masks.
So here we address masking for those new to digital processing and the otherwise bewildered: this is for the why and various how responses! Asher

Can anyone bring out the eyes in this portrait? They are lost in shadow, unfortunately. I think the model's face is interesting with strong features, but the "lack" of eyes renders it...ugh.

235.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray West

Hi Rachel,

Much easier to work with a larger file and raw image, still hopefully this will get you started (photoshop, cs2)

Make sure you work on a copy of the original file!

1) make new duplicate layer (It will be named 'background copy')
2) use lasso tool, feather set to, say, 20 px, select eye area.
3) layer - new - layer via copy (this will give a layer (layer 1) with just the eye, fading to a transparent background
4) select layer 1.
5) Image - Adjustments - Levels and make the eye way too light (slide the small pointers towards left
6) adjust opacity in layer 1 to reduce its effect on the background

Above is the very brief explanation of the steps taken for a basic improvement. If you can't find the controls, then ask for more info. If the feather/area is wrong, just make another layer, and turn off the ones you don't need.
Maybe you decide to lighten the beard.

There are many, many other methods. If the original is a raw image, you will amaze yourself at the detail that can be recovered.

So, copy the image to 235a.jpg, say, edit it as above, or wait for other advice, and post your result. Leave the original image here for comparison.

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rachel,

You must learn masking. Let me show anyone who wonders about masks a glimpse: very simplistic!

Now here's a simple approach to get the concept started in the brain.

Go to Window and check Layers. Now drag the background layer a bunch of times to the lower edge of layers dialog box, the icon next to the trash can.

Now play. Have one layer on at a time and now alter that layer with any other adjustment tool * to your taste for cheeks, eyes, hair or whatever and label that layer appropriately. Each time you use an adjustment layer link that to the layer your are adjusting.

Now use the eraser tool on the left to erase all of each layer except say the eye, nose or whatever you want to keep.

Simply adjust the percent of each layer you want to contribute to your final image.

So that's the general idea!

It works, for sure but is severely limiting! Why? You are stuck with whatever you do to a layer! What if you want to change your mind?

This is where layers are needed. Layers allow one to change what part of a layer is used, right now or in a years time! That is a time saver. You can get the image roughly right then afterwards, if you like the design, invest the extra care to feather and refine the edges.

Without masks, it's always back to the beginning again and that is a time-waster!

So now try it with your picture!

Asher

* (Layer, Adjustment layer and then choose the effect you want)

Rachel Foster

Will do. I'll be putting those big-girl underpants on as soon as I write a few lectures and exams (unrelated to photography but spot on for earning a living).

Eric Hiss

Have you tried highlight and shadows in PS?

Hi,
Hope you don't mind me playing a little with your image. The good news is the data is there in the shadows because a lot of times you can't lift shadows much. I didn't read through all of the above (shame on me) but I think Asher explained masking above. You can just duplicate the layer and use the image-adjust-highlights and shadows tool to pull up some of the shadows then add a layer mask and paint out the parts you don't want. Then I'd use levels on the image and do the same with another mask. A final thing you can do to bring out the eyes is use selective sharpening (I used smartsharpen on a duplicate layer and then you guessed it another mask). It took way more time to type this than I spend doing it. Once you get the hang of it it will go really fast.

here's what I mean...
quickeyeretouch.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Photoshop Lessons

I am taking via internet a college class - Beginning CS3! - it's facingating to take a layer or mask and change the images. But now that I finished the first class, I hardly remember most of what we did. Too much information.

I will be taking the lessons and making a cheat sheet on what adjustments we made using which tools and what settings; It'll take a while because I am super busy at work - but - I bet I will learn something and I will have something great to share here!

Tim Armes

Hi Rachel,

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If they're related to my "tutorial" then post them in that thread so that future readers can benefit too.

Best regards,

Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rachel,

I've looked through Tim's Layer's Turorial. It is perfect for Masks too. His approach is user-friendly and will save a lot of headaches and heartache and anxiety!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Oh, I don't doubt it. It's my level of ignorance that's the problem.

A second issue is one I generally deal with from the other side: I teach an entry level statistics course and see students come in with the attitude they will fail. And they make it happen because of that expectation. That's me and photoshop.

You wait, though: I will conquer it!