• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A self Portrait.

Annie James

The kitchen is the heart of my home, it's where I spend a lot of my time, cooking for my family, chatting with my children as I prepare their food, the reflection of me is symbolic of being a mother, they feed from me when babies, I remain their sustinence

Kitchen.jpg

Rachel Foster

Intriguing! Very!

And using the breast as the symbol for your nurturing aspect (sooooo consistent with the kitchen setting) is a tried-and-true one. In fact, neopsychoanalytic theorist Melanie Kline (I think I've misspelled that, by the way) talked about seeing the world in terms of breasts and posited something called "breast envy."

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Annie,

I'm intrigued by your self-portrait. I have some questions as to whether full advantage has been taken of the camera's capability to cover the dynamic range or the subjects or else whether some more light would have helped.

Do you have this image in RAW to be able to share with people to see how others might work with this. However it's your work and this is not required!

Asher

Last edited:

Annie James

Thanks for your comments, sorry it took so long to respond. I didn't shoot this in RAW, ,it was a very spontaneous pic, the camera was literally behind me on the kitchen table, and I just did a point and shoot. I suppose I could re shoot it in a staged and technical way, but I feel it would be cheating, this is a snapshot of a moment that really happenned, and the thoughts I had upon seeing my reflection were very real.

Regards

Annie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for your comments, sorry it took so long to respond. I didn't shoot this in RAW, ,it was a very spontaneous pic, the camera was literally behind me on the kitchen table, and I just did a point and shoot. I suppose I could re shoot it in a staged and technical way, but I feel it would be cheating, this is a snapshot of a moment that really happenned, and the thoughts I had upon seeing my reflection were very real.
Annie,

I really don't think there's anything wrong in working on a shot. It would be artificial for someone else to just copy your shot. However you can work further on it and you would have fine images then to share.

Work has to be done somewhere to make art and that applies to photography. Even pointing and shooting is work. I'd love to see you work on this shot further. If you want to do this then I'd say it's a great project. It's for sure orginal!

Asher

Annie James

Thank you all for your advice and comments, I have never thought about staging a set of Photographs, as this one was very spontaneous, it just so happenned that when I caught my reflection and the thoughts that provoked me to want to record that particular moment, my camera was behind me on the kitchen table, so I reached for it, and snapped, it was that simple, so by that standard this is really a snapshot in every sense of the word. I might have a bash this weekend at a series, but Im not sure I have the confidence to pull it off, ordinarily I would never post or indeed take a picture of myself in this way, but the moment called for it, for memories sake if nothing else.

Shal post any work related to a series here for critique, if I get the courage.

Annie

Ashley Sperry

I'm having problems finding the words to express what this image makes me feel, as a mom of two small children (still nursing one), i really like it and the meaning behind it

We have not heard from Annie in well over a year now but her image keeps drawing an audience and their remarks. I think that says something for the work, does it not? If we are so lucky, long after we are gone, perhaps someday someone will still look at something we did and still feel something from it. It's nice to at least think that could happen and that once we are gone there is still a chance that in years to come, something you did might still be viewed occasionally by someone completely new to it.
James Newman