• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Erasmus bridge (The Swan) in Rotterdam, Netherlands

Cem_Usakligil

Hi folks,

As a spin off from this thread where we were discussing a pano of Rotterdam, here is a picture I have taken of the (in)famous Erasmus bridge. It might particularly interest Ray ;-). The framing is done by the pillar holding back the leaning KPN building.

img_39418_0_228965162-O.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Chas, thanks for the compliment :).

It was a sunny morning when sun was rather low in the sky. The photo is taken looking towards west, north-west (sun is in the back a bit to the left).

Camera 5D, EF 70-200mm F4 IS @ 70mm (circ.pol filter mounted) , f/11, 1/400 sec, ISO 400.

No post processing, no corrections, just a straight conversion using LR.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Two variations on the same theme

I've mentioned the "leaning" KPN building above. Well, here it is in two variations on this theme.

img_39454_0_229083076-L.jpg

img_39454_1_229083100-L.jpg

It's a pity that I did not point the camera a bit lower on the building so that more of the reflections of the bridge would be on the picture. Will have to revisit the place again sometime, I guess :).

BTW, which is better, the one showing the side of the building or the closer crop? I can't decide.

Cheers,

I definately like the closer crop, which I think is excellent. I especially like this type of architectural abstraction. Modern architecture provides so many excellent opportunities close at hand.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

I like this choice of architectural art. You should spend some time on this. I agree with Charles that the close up of the leaning building has more impact.

Tell us about the leaning design? The exterior support is fascinating, like the flying buttresses on old castles!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Tsss Tssss

Cem
the 1st picture shown at the start of the thread is fabulous. So simple, so evident, so clear your photo desserves the architects, while being itself artistic.
The other ones (crops) though nice are really less powerfull, context is somewhat lost.

imho of course…

Cem_Usakligil

..Tell us about the leaning design? The exterior support is fascinating, like the flying buttresses on old castles!..
Indeed! Well, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here it is:

img_39467_0_229094385-L.jpg

The top of the building is some meters off the perpendicular (I don't know the exact word here), a bit like the tower of Pisa. But only on the front side, not on the other three sides.

Regards,

Cem_Usakligil

Tsss Tssss

Cem
the 1st picture shown at the start of the thread is fabulous. So simple, so evident, so clear your photo desserves the architects, while being itself artistic.
The other ones (crops) though nice are really less powerfull, context is somewhat lost.

imho of course…
Bonsoir Nicolas,

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated. I agree with you 100%, the first one is the real deal. I have posted the others just to show the context of the environment.

Regards,

Ray West

Hi Cem,

Clean shot, the first one, shows its graceful lines. wrt the other thread - the second most loved bridge, I referred to as a transporter bridge. I spent ages on the web afterwards trying to find out it's details, I think it is in fact a lift bridge, i.e. the mid section slides up the towers to allow ships underneath, but I could find little information about it.

(The tour guide said the KPN building was in fact designed by an Italian, from the Pisa locality - but probably just an urban legend.)

Best wishes,

Ray

Tell us about the leaning design? The exterior support is fascinating, like the flying buttresses on old castles!

This will show it in it's entirety, a bit closer than on Ray's overview above:
KPN.jpg

It's fascinating to experience up close ..., as if it depends on the single support to prevent it from falling. The green dot pattern is changing all the time.

Bart

Very nice shot Bart! I especially like the repeated shadows of the cables on the pylon. The point of view and angle further removes this from reality.

Chas