Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old January 17th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Inactive

Hey Jack,

WOW!.....Man.... show us a picture from your desk please! I mean, I imagine you need a minimum distance from the 60" in total to maintain a comfortable view. Curious how your desk looks.

I am used to work on 3 screens since 2000, never looked back!

2x30" is, well.... <grins> ......my precioussssssss....me wantsssss it.....

That HD transfer rate is impressive! Again congrats on that high spec mac, not THAT long ago this kinda computing power would have served the entire O'Hare International.

Then again, with technology, I think it is like this: What was impossible in the past, was very expensive yesterday, is a Kindergarden today, and tomorrow no one gives a flying Bull anymore. (I love that saying, found it on the german website of a friend from Klaus Esser, original quote belongs to Stephan Buerger I guess.)

Hence, I consider to lease that maschine for 3 years instead of purchasing.
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Just wanted to supply an update with some corrections. First, it appears CS3 uses all processors, though it divides the load across them all evenly, so they aren't actually being stressed very much even during heavy lifting. I set up a benchmark test, taking a 1MB tiff up to 1Gig in size, rotating it 90 degrees, then applying USM, then downsizing a bit so you can see it display and know when to stop your timing.

On my machine as currently configured with no real scratch drive, it took 45 seconds. On a friend's Mac Pro quad 3.0, with 16G memory and a striped pair for scratch (really fast I/O), he got 40 seconds. So bottom line is CS3 still isn't using system memory OR processors efficiently and forces you to scratch once you exceed its 3G max...

FWIW,
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Inactive

interesting observation...

however...

I am more from a music background, and I will use all cores! <grins>

P.S.
Desktop pic! <grins> Show me your 60" setup please!... come on ...
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Flesher View Post
Just wanted to supply an update with some corrections. First, it appears CS3 uses all processors, though it divides the load across them all evenly, so they aren't actually being stressed very much even during heavy lifting.
That would mean either of two things to me:

1) The same threading is just hopping around to different CPUs, so the equivalent of 100% utilization of one core, or

2) There is so much disk activity involved in the processing, that each core sleeps while waiting for its data.
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
P.S.
Desktop pic! <grins> Show me your 60" setup please!... come on ...
I will post a pic next week, but keep in mind I do not HAVE 2 30" displays on my desk, just have ROOM for two
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sheehy View Post
That would mean either of two things to me:

1) The same threading is just hopping around to different CPUs, so the equivalent of 100% utilization of one core, or

2) There is so much disk activity involved in the processing, that each core sleeps while waiting for its data.
John:

All 8 cores show distributed load, but at a low level. There are definitely gaps in processing when CS goes to scratch, but that gaps ALL the processors, not just one or two.

Cheers,