Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM

I've been using the Chamonix 8x10 for about a month or two now, and I love it! I've also had my Chamonix 4x5 for about a year, and have been enjoying it as well. I've gone through several 4x5 and 8x10 cameras until I settled on Chamonix. I like their design, and they do what I need them to, and are fairly light weight! They might not be 'the camera' for everyone, but for me they are as close to perfect as I think I'll find.

The Chamonix film holders (I only have two of them, in 8x10) are almost to nice to use! I usually end up leaving them on my shelf and using my plastic Fidelity and Lisco holders instead, and only use the Chamonix holders when I need a few extra.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Inactive

CONGRATS!! What a gorgeous machine! Can't wait for the first fruits. Put a Packard out in front of that Pinkham & Smith and start making some pictures the 5 triple D Canon cannot.

[url]http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com[/url]
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:24 PM

oh, and one thing I did do on the Cham 8x10, was switch the 1/4" and 3/8" tripod screw threads, so that the 3/8" thread (the one I use) is in the center of the base plate, instead of at the back of the camera. It seems more balanced that way, since I don't usually extend the camera very far, my longest lens being 450mm and I don't shoot macro. It was super easy to switch the threads, just 3 screws in each.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
CONGRATS!! What a gorgeous machine! Can't wait for the first fruits. Put a Packard out in front of that Pinkham & Smith and start making some pictures the 5 triple D Canon cannot.
Jim,

Are used Packard shutters generally OK or should I buy a new one? Maybe I should twist Will Thompson's arm to lend me one!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Buck View Post
oh, and one thing I did do on the Cham 8x10, was switch the 1/4" and 3/8" tripod screw threads, so that the 3/8" thread (the one I use) is in the center of the base plate, instead of at the back of the camera. It seems more balanced that way, since I don't usually extend the camera very far, my longest lens being 450mm and I don't shoot macro. It was super easy to switch the threads, just 3 screws in each.
Well Daniel,

I'll PM you. We'll have to get together then.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.