Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old September 10th, 2009, 08:19 PM

Default Leica M9..why the silence on OPF?

I am surprised that even though for the first time ever, a digital full frame ( 35mm ) rangefinder has been
introduced to the market place and no mention of it here at OPF!

I also know at least one OPF forum member contributes to discussions re: RFs on other forums.

This introduction is no small feat. Kodak deserves all credit for having surmounted the technical challenges by creating the sensor in the M9. Only last year it was said, it could not be done!

Hopefully now the M9 will allow Leica lenses, arguably the best made for 35mm format photography by
any manufacturer, to really shine in the digital world.

Well done Leica and Kodak.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Hi Fahim,

I have been sitting on my hands, waiting for others to chime in. The M9 seems to be a very interesting camera. I am curious how the IQ will really look like. The preview images posted at DPreview do not give a good impression yet.

Cheers,

flickr
website
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:10 AM

I've also been waiting for someon else to start the discussion

I did wonder if you would get Fahim (or Ken). I had a look at some images yesterday and the DP review images are not very good really - purple fringing and not as crisp as I'd have expected. Jonathan Slack also has some images up, that appear better than DP reviews.

It looks to be a very interesting camera and one that I'd enjoy - apart from anything else it would save on scanning time! I will wander along to one of the local Leica dealers in the next couiple of weeks, with an SD card, and take some pictures. I thnk it needs to be very close to the 1Ds3 to justify purchase, not complainign about the price really thogh. I thought it would be more and that would have closed the book on it for me.

Mike
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:36 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Fahim,

I've answered you question, here.

Mike,

Thanks for the link to Jonathan's pictures. He's a proven Leica user whereas for the DPReview reviewer, this is a relatively new tool.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Jono is/has been a M9 beta tester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Fahim,

I've answered you question, here.

Mike,

Thanks for the link to Jonathan's pictures. He's a proven Leica user whereas for the DPReview reviewer, this is a relatively new tool.

Asher
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Jono is also a very nice guy and a talented photographer in his own right. I have always admired his work.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM

I don't know him, but I've looked at his site from time to time and always liked his work and approach. I hadn't realised that he was as well known as that!

Mike
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:51 AM

Talking

Leica I guess paired him with Seal this time around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shimwell View Post
I don't know him, but I've looked at his site from time to time and always liked his work and approach. I hadn't realised that he was as well known as that!

Mike