• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

When the Fish Don't Bite

Chris Calohan

14977245631_3338f68f25_o_d.jpg

When the Fish Don't Bite: Chris Calohan​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
14977245631_3338f68f25_o_d.jpg

When the Fish Don't Bite: Chris Calohan​

Chris,

Fishing like this has never been for me. First one has to learn how to relax - my kids do it, but for me it's either a quick nap with something dark over my eyes and I'm asleep or else I am on the go all the time. I am used to fishing where one pulls up a cluster of fish on one hook trolling with Chum or shrimp as bait!

This does work well for an outing with the kids, but if they don't each get a fish, they're cheated!

But the guy here, he does know how to relax and seems patient enough to get what he wants, even if it takes and hour or more!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Yes, Asher, but did you also like the photograph? :)

Without any doubt, Chris!

The picture just transported me to a place I am not used to being. So it was from this out of body experience I was now bringing my own personal memories to the magic world you shared with all of us. When an artwork, such as this, brings just the exported personal vision, (from his/her mind), as a physical thing for others to experience an "arc of communication" has been achieved, one that will have a life of its own without the artist. But when this work of art goes on to invite us into a world and muse there, opening up ourselves to new possibilities as we let out private thoughts populate your world, then the ART reaches a new level that transcends ordinary creative work.

This composition is extraordinarily well conceived. You've assigned a major span of the bridge/jetty to form a safe private man-cave to isolate and protect the fisherman. The light just marks the edges of his face and hat and skims over the bench, setting a tranquil mood and stopping time. In this palace of tranquility, a man considers himself and everything. He represents us all in his thoughts and so the picture is personal to each viewer as it transcends the particularity of the circumstances you assembled to make the picture in the first place.

Kudos!

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi

fine work ... it is very impressive from the touching of the powerlines by the pole to the colours.
How did you manage the overall sharpness and the coloring?

Chris Calohan

Carefully, Wolfgang. Thanks for asking. I took advantage of the late afternoon sun (way back at the skinny end of the bridge) as it settled into the horizon and took advantage of how it bounced around all the uprights, especially the one you cannot see which is directly over my left shoulder and providing most of the fill light. I did have to work the figure a bit to draw out more detail in his clothing, yet still retaining the nice silhouette on his face and leading edges of his clothes.

I did a fair amount of luminosity layer blending in my lights and mid-tone ranges so I could build up a nice contrasting foreground texture and color... I did very little unsharp masking for my sharpness, but relied more on the sharpness of a 36MP file...

I love this image. I've come to see it a few times and was at almost a loss for words for how to explain what I felt about it. The double bridge up top makes it seem like it is a high traffic area and the choppy water normally would make this image feel hectic. But it doesn't at all. The fisherman seems calm and serene and far away in his own little world.

I wonder if it's the fantastic coloring you used. Those dark chocolate and coffee colors with the creamy latte and that ice gray blue. Oh, to die for. This is simply wonderful.
:)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

I love this image. I've come to see it a few times and was at almost a loss for words for how to explain what I felt about it. The double bridge up top makes it seem like it is a high traffic area and the choppy water normally would make this image feel hectic. But it doesn't at all. The fisherman seems calm and serene and far away in his own little world.

I wonder if it's the fantastic coloring you used. Those dark chocolate and coffee colors with the creamy latte and that ice gray blue. Oh, to die for. This is simply wonderful.
Maggie

....and also a lot of masculine and feminine symbology in the picture!

Asher

Chris Calohan

Thanks, Maggie. I am so happy you too are pleased with this image. I was struck by the man's posture which spoke volumes about patience. I think fishermen are the most patient people on earth. I was lucky to catch the later afternoon light which is what makes this shot so lush with soft color.

Chris Calohan

Maggie, it is a work in progress. I think all my photos on Flickr are public, listed under either reimageflorida or chrisc_photo

Maybe this will get you there https://www.flickr.com/photos/54965930@N07/

There are some images on the flickr account that I've done edits for other people..some are listed as such, some not. (I am currently deleting all of them not mine, but edits for other people.)

Maggie, it is a work in progress. I think all my photos on Flickr are public, listed under either reimageflorida or chrisc_photo

Maybe this will get you there https://www.flickr.com/photos/54965930@N07/

There are some images on the flickr account that I've done edits for other people..some are listed as such, some not. (I am currently deleting all of them not mine, but edits for other people.)

Thanks, Chris!

I'm off to check it out!
Maggie