• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The act of doing

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I have an urge to post some photos.

This comes from my deep-seated need for friends and recognition.

Each day I stare at the interface of life and wonder what it is all about.

Then I wonder wat 'it' is.

Perhaps 'it' is no more than doing. We do for its own sake. We speak for it's own sake. We photograph for its own sake.

The satisfaction comes from that which we can do, identify as doing, recall doing, and plan to do.

It's possible that our consciousness is no more than to recognise that we do stuff and identify it being done.

That's the way I see my photographs. They are a result of me doing stuff.

DSCF1061 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

_DSF6185 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

_DSC1469 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom, I had no idea you had such a lens.
I love them all but Corella Antenna is sweetly poetic.

What are you telling me, Andy?
I am surrounded by imagery. I point my camera at it and press the button.
I am constantly surprised at what I record.

The corellas piss me off. They shred the wiring on the antenna. How am I supposed to watch X Factor?

Xxxx

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

I have an urge to post some photos.

This comes from my deep-seated need for friends and recognition.

Each day I stare at the interface of life and wonder what it is all about.

Then I wonder wat 'it' is.

Perhaps 'it' is no more than doing. We do for its own sake. We speak for it's own sake. We photograph for its own sake.

The satisfaction comes from that which we can do, identify as doing, recall doing, and plan to do.

It's possible that our consciousness is no more than to recognise that we do stuff and identify it being done.

That's the way I see my photographs. They are a result of me doing stuff.

Before I comment on the "stuff" itself, let me say how gratified I am by your introductory essay.

At the moment, away from the photography front, I am doing some research on an obscure issue related to the misbehavior of a certain computer program. The situation is that what I learn will not be able to make the program any better (the publisher - a 1.5-man firm, giving some of the creatures the benefit of the doubt - is in no position, or maybe no state of mind, to take advantage of my research). But I want to know how "that" works", and why it does not work properly in this case, and how one might have averted the malfunction. And in the course of this I learn about specialized color encodings about which I previously knew little, and I learn to use some software tools I acquired to help me with this work.

It will not, as I said, make the program better, nor make me richer (in monetary terms), nor cure the hunger of even one refugee child.

But, having once gotten started on this topic, I am impelled to carry it forward. It is one of many kinds of my current "stuff".

But enough about my "accomplishments", and on to yours.

Those photos are wondrous. They remind us that it is not the eye of the camera (however many elements it may have, and how great its potential resolving power) that brings us great images but the eye of the photographer.

Ah, time for breakfast!

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

Hi, Tom,

Before I comment on the "stuff" itself, let me say how gratified I am by your introductory essay.

At the moment, away from the photography front, I am doing some research on an obscure issue related to the misbehavior of a certain computer program. The situation is that what I learn will not be able to make the program any better (the publisher - a 1.5-man firm, giving some of the creatures the benefit of the doubt - is in no position, or maybe no state of mind, to take advantage of my research). But I want to know how "that" works", and why it does not work properly in this case, and how one might have averted the malfunction. And in the course of this I learn about specialized color encodings about which I previously knew little, and I learn to use some software tools I acquired to help me with this work.

It will not, as I said, make the program better, nor make me richer (in monetary terms), nor cure the hunger of even one refugee child.

But, having once gotten started on this topic, I am impelled to carry it forward. It is one of many kinds of my current "stuff".

Those photos are wondrous. They remind us that it is not the eye of the camera (however many elements it may have, and how great its potential resolving power) that brings us great images but the eye of the photographer.

Ah, time for breakfast!

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Doug,

Well said. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jérôme.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
What if you tried a series on a theme instead of individual pictures?

I don't seem to have that ability, Jerome. I have the attention span of a six year old. The faster I can move from one subject to another the better it seems to work in my head.

In addition to that, I look for connections in the most obscure places.

These images were as a result of three entirely different set of circumstances yet I found myself revisiting each at the same time.

Why these three? Who knows? Maybe I do. But the facts cannot be denied.

This was what I was doing. It was my stuff at that moment.

That's the "theme".

Thanks for dropping by.

Xx

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Are these the results of your higher seeking...?

Perhaps, Paul. Perhaps.

I spend a lot of time each day with my six year old great grand daughter. Every day she reminds me of how important it is to understand. She has her own individual approach.

Yesterday she asked me to play Rummy Cub with her. The rules are beyond her present understanding so we made up our own along the way. Her rules were simple. They allowed her to progress through the game at her level, the ensured she was having a good time and most of all she was ensured of winning.

That seems a great approach to life.

I learn from her every day.

If "higher seeking" is the game we play, then knowing that all but the natural laws are constructs and the rest of the rules can be changes and winning is just an endpoint that satisfies a personal need of a six year old, then the answer is ....
Maybe!

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi, Tom,

Ah, time for breakfast!

Best regards,

Doug

Cheers, Doug.

I'm glad to hear that your motivations are less than altruistic and more selfish.

This will ensure that at least one person is better off because of your endeavors.

The rest can look after themselves

Xxx

Robert Watcher

Tom - not that it matters - - - but I have to say that if there were no voice attached to your images, I would consider your work excellent and for them to be photographic images that for the most part I admire and appreciate. But I can't shut off that voice to even bother looking at your work for the most part - so I don't comment often.

I know that you won't be flattered - because that is you - and who am I ---- for heavens sake, please don't be lest your reputation be destroyed.

Strong composition and content. Nice shots!

------

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom - not that it matters - - - but I have to say that if there were no voice attached to your images, I would consider your work excellent and for them to be photographic images that for the most part I admire and appreciate. But I can't shut off that voice to even bother looking at your work for the most part - so I don't comment often.

I know that you won't be flattered - because that is you - and who am I ---- for heavens sake, please don't be lest your reputation be destroyed.

Strong composition and content. Nice shots!

------

My voice is all I have, Robert.
As with my images, I play with the voice all day. No-one need be listening, as no-one need be watching.

My images are a constant challenge to me. Perfection is a long way of; so far off that I gave up even pondering the possibility I would ever be any good at what I do. But that doesn't stop me from doing it for its own sake.

That is the case with my comments, vitriol, manner and sarcasm: its what I do.

It isn't what I am, just as the photos are not what I am. When I choose, I can be as gentle and loving as a cat with its kittens.
But there's no challenge in that. Like the oversaturated sunset, everyone else is doing it. In fact it is forbidden to do anything else in many places.
Be nice, don't offend, don't aggrivate, don't piss in my pool, don't be anything else but what we want you to be.
Sorry, old buddy, thats not for me. I'll leave that stuff to the preachers, politicians and psychologists.

As with you and the professional associates, I just get sick of people telling me the same old thing over and over and not really meaning it. At least I am two faced and admit it. I do tease. I have strong opinions, I am blunt. My sarcasm is my sword. I also have a thick skin to match.

The other face is a private one. Its the one that really enjoys looking at everyone's photos here; yes, even yours, which I find rich with the life of another place, recorded with composure, good humour, a worthy spirit and grace that becomes the photographer and his subjects, even if my own head tells me they appear to be a bit patronising from time to time: rich man-poor man sort of stuff; you know what I mean.

So be as harsh as you like with me, Robert. I deserve everything you can give me. I ask for it.

That is my only hope: that I get what I ask for.

xxx

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Cheers, Doug.

I'm glad to hear that your motivations are less than altruistic and more selfish.

This will ensure that at least one person is better off because of your endeavors.

The rest can look after themselves

Indeed.

I the political sphere, I urge people to be selfish, by which I mean, "Vote for the candidate you think will actually make your life better" (although the pivotal word here is think - what I really want them to do is to think).
This advice is in contrast to "Vote for the candidate that best exemplifies some political theology you have been taught to love."​

There is often a wondrous link between "selfishness now, altruism later". The bumper-sticker form of this is, "Put your own oxygen mask first."

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
You are not fooling me, Tom. I remember that you have posted series on a theme in this forum.

That must have been in my 'Theme' period, Jerome.

I'm now in my 'Singular' period; a much more satisfying modus operandi where I need only think to the edge of the frame.

I know I don't fool you, Jerome. Only fools are fooled.

Andy brown

My voice is all I have, Robert.
As with my images, I play with the voice all day. No-one need be listening, as no-one need be watching.

My images are a constant challenge to me. Perfection is a long way of; so far off that I gave up even pondering the possibility I would ever be any good at what I do. But that doesn't stop me from doing it for its own sake.

That is the case with my comments, vitriol, manner and sarcasm: its what I do.

It isn't what I am, just as the photos are not what I am. When I choose, I can be as gentle and loving as a cat with its kittens.
But there's no challenge in that. Like the oversaturated sunset, everyone else is doing it. In fact it is forbidden to do anything else in many places.
Be nice, don't offend, don't aggrivate, don't piss in my pool, don't be anything else but what we want you to be.
Sorry, old buddy, thats not for me. I'll leave that stuff to the preachers, politicians and psychologists.

As with you and the professional associates, I just get sick of people telling me the same old thing over and over and not really meaning it. At least I am two faced and admit it. I do tease. I have strong opinions, I am blunt. My sarcasm is my sword. I also have a thick skin to match.

The other face is a private one. Its the one that really enjoys looking at everyone's photos here; yes, even yours, which I find rich with the life of another place, recorded with composure, good humour, a worthy spirit and grace that becomes the photographer and his subjects, even if my own head tells me they appear to be a bit patronising from time to time: rich man-poor man sort of stuff; you know what I mean.

So be as harsh as you like with me, Robert. I deserve everything you can give me. I ask for it.

That is my only hope: that I get what I ask for.

xxx

Tom, I totally hear you with all this.

My OPF persona is not quite the real me, I don't pretend to be anyone else, it's just not all of me.
It's the polite version of me, a bit more measured than usual.

When I'm out in the world I'm more effusive and ebullient, cheeky and a bit verbose.
When I'm with friends I'm a ratbag, snide, cynical and opinionated, apparently they're o.k with that.

When I'm around kids, I'm at my best, I'm the entertainer, the clown, the philosopher and the politically incorrect uncle who makes them think (and feel alive). I'm sure you can identify with this idiot.

On the other forum I inhabit (spearfishing), my alter ego has totally free rein (and reigns quite well).
Everything is exaggerated. I tell stories which often end up with me inadvertently circumcising myself through some convoluted series of mishaps. The forum is a small selection of completely bent, mostly middle aged, quite intelligent hunter gatherers. They're all Aussies. The humour is beyond anything else on the entire internet (and believe me, I've looked). It's so refreshing to be able to talk piles of obscure crap and have everyone know exactly which bits are real and which bits are fabrication (but so close to reality).
No-one ever has to ask, "whaddya mean", no-one ever says "huh?"
Responses come back by way of further banter but in amongst the bullsh!t are gems of wisdom.

OPF is totally different, I show my card at the door, talk straight, don't rock the boat and play nice.

I love OPF, but I wish it had a Christmas party so everyone could let their guard down for a day.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Andy,

My OPF persona is not quite the real me, I don't pretend to be anyone else, it's just not all of me.
It's the polite version of me, a bit more measured than usual.
When I'm out in the world I'm more effusive and ebullient, cheeky and a bit verbose.
When I'm with friends I'm a ratbag, snide, cynical and opinionated, apparently they're o.k with that.

When I'm around kids, I'm at my best, I'm the entertainer, the clown, the philosopher and the politically incorrect uncle who makes them think (and feel alive). I'm sure you can identify with this idiot.

On the other forum I inhabit (spearfishing), my alter ego has totally free rein (and reigns quite well).
Everything is exaggerated. I tell stories which often end up with me inadvertently circumcising myself through some convoluted series of mishaps. The forum is a small selection of completely bent, mostly middle aged, quite intelligent hunter gatherers. They're all Aussies. The humour is beyond anything else on the entire internet (and believe me, I've looked). It's so refreshing to be able to talk piles of obscure crap and have everyone know exactly which bits are real and which bits are fabrication (but so close to reality).
No-one ever has to ask, "whaddya mean", no-one ever says "huh?"
Responses come back by way of further banter but in amongst the bullsh!t are gems of wisdom.

OPF is totally different, I show my card at the door, talk straight, don't rock the boat and play nice.

But the collection of your OPF persona and all the other personas you make take on in other arenas and contexts constitutes the "real you".

Best regards,

Doug