• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Risking it.....

I've decided to dive in and post something.... I know I've got some distance yet to cover in my photography. This was taken on a hike with the family, so This is one I took in August.... I have not done any post work to it... so if you feel it needs something done I would want to know. I find the blur of grass in the forefront somewhat distracting, but overall I think the shot is decent.....

please share your honest critique.... the good, the bad and the ugly

zoom=proportionalnoupsize

Rachel Foster

Trudy I love the feeling of carefree joy this image transmits. What are the data (shutter speed, ISO, focal length, etc.)? Also, what were your goals for this image?

It's a nice image and looks like a lovely day.

One year ago I didn't know my ISO from my aperture. Dive in! The water's fine.

okay, the technical stuff on this shot:

iso 1600

focal length 75mm

shutter speed 1/640 (9.32)

aperture f/5.0 (4.64)

... i'm not too sure what the stuff in the parenthesis means... anyone care to enlighten me?

as far as goals for the shot.... mainly to capture my daughters carefree and confident way of crossing this log. It was a beautiful day and in general I just wanted to document our hike.

Last edited:

Rachel Foster

Then you accomplished your goal!

May I ask why you went ISO 1600 on a sunny day? (My norm is 400 unless other circumstances dictate a change. Mind you, I'm just a beginner, so others will have more helpful input.)

umm... cough, cough... because I've only recently discovered how to truly use iso.... so back when I took this photo 1600 was my personal default setting.