• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tulips

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Wonderful sunny day today...

13890949306_0c8f21c542_b.jpg

13890949616_a021ef8f56_b.jpg

13890950136_3ae5ba8875_b.jpg

13914064945_81cd8f72fc_b.jpg

13890943852_ae52303fc8_b.jpg

13914481914_4e8012afae_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wonderful sunny day today...

13914481914_4e8012afae_b.jpg

Klaus,

Where did you find this flower.......and what's the lens? Anyway, you've posted a magical spell. Such beauty is not fairly distributed. But life is not fair and my muse comes shortly. How fortunate we are to be able to appreciate and harvest light reflecting off beauty!

That we we can immortalize what's unfortunately so transient, slipping past us like a delicate evening breeze at sunset with the scents of flowers and the buzzing of crickets announcing how important they are.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks guys, also for the wise words Asher! Indeed, I should have been in my office today, but that day was just so beautiful, so I grabbed my camera and russian 1.8/100mm projection lens and crossed the street to my fav park and was amazed by the light that shone through the wonderful flowers and especially the tulips there....

That's my personal fav an dteh full set is HERE

Asher Kelman

Thanks guys, also for the wise words Asher! Indeed, I should have been in my office today, but that day was just so beautiful, so I grabbed my camera and russian 1.8/100mm projection lens and crossed the street to my fav park and was amazed by the light that shone through the wonderful flowers and especially the tulips there....

You have an avidity for strange but wonderful lenses. Projection lenses are so under-exploited. which one is this?

That's my personal fav and theh full set is HERE[/QUOTE]

Klaus,

Again an impressive flower! The colors and detail are lovely!

I was so inspired by your work that I searched, (but in vain), for similar tulips and then noticed wonderful white roses, nearby, "arranged by the angles", far better than I could have imagined. So I brought Kate, my friend and muse to these places. She walked and lay down amongst them and together, we stole the beauty here. If not for your pictures here, she's have just been choosing pictures to print for her "book"!

Thanks for moving us all so much by your work!

BTW, are you using in the lens, "wide open" and is that the way these lenses are always designed? Presumably it goes on a helical focus to a Sony Next camera? Are you using flash to illuminate the flowers as some seem to be trans-illuminated from light behind them too? How do the dark shadows on the leaves come about? .............and the dark b.g. ? As shot or else, the processing in photoshop?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Just looked at your image with Kate and I liked it a lot Asher! Perfectly framed, beautiful colors and a very pretty "muse" with a wonderful smile. Not sure why I cannot comment there...

About my shots: the lens is always fully open, as there is no built in aperture, so teh only way to control light is reducing ISO and/or using a ND filter. I have made a modular focusing mount for those lenses using a clamping ring which allows to adjust to an individual focal length and which I leave on the lens. This then screws into the focuser.

I don't do any PP except resizing, I do my shots all manual incl. framing when I press the trigger, as I follow some minimalist approach. Light is always natural light and BG is what I find in the background on site. The dark one was a close by large bush, so I just adjust my shooting angle to get the BG I want. Translucence I got (wanted actually) as the sun was shining through the flowers (I adjusted my angle accordingly) and I exposed manually until I got what I wanted (the right mix between reflected and transmitted light).

Here the same flower shot just from a bit different angle, the bush previously used as BG is on top right...

13890944782_d8f7049e63_b.jpg

That russian lens is from a standardized type of russian projection lenses and unfortunately has no maker on it. Even more strange is, that those came in triplets, Petzval and Double Gauss form, without being able to differentiate that from the outside, so only inspection using a strong light reveals how a certain one is made inside.

P.S.: those lenses are wonderful for portrait work (no yet my thing) and my friend does that so perfectly, but I don't want to link to another forum here, so ask me if you like....

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Just looked at your image with Kate and I liked it a lot Asher! Perfectly framed, beautiful colors and a very pretty "muse" with a wonderful smile. Not sure why I cannot comment there...

Thanks! Your reply didn't work there?

About my shots: the lens is always fully open, as there is no built in aperture, so teh only way to control light is reducing ISO and/or using a ND filter. I have made a modular focusing mount for those lenses using a clamping ring which allows to adjust to an individual focal length and which I leave on the lens. This then screws into the focuser.

Where did you find the clamping ring. I've seen then for LF lenses. What's the generic name for these devices?

I don't do any PP except resizing, I do my shots all manual incl. framing when I press the trigger, as I follow some minimalist approach. Light is always natural light and BG is what I find in the background on site. The dark one was a close by large bush, so I just adjust my shooting angle to get the BG I want. Translucence I got (wanted actually) as the sun was shining through the flowers (I adjusted my angle accordingly) and I exposed manually until I got what I wanted (the right mix between reflected and transmitted light).

I guessed that as I use the same technique. I just wanted to know for sure! :)

Here the same flower shot just from a bit different angle, the bush previously used as BG is on top right...

13890944782_d8f7049e63_b.jpg

Thanks!

Asher

Asher Kelman

That russian lens is from a standardized type of russian projection lenses and unfortunately has no maker on it. Even more strange is, that those came in triplets, Petzval and Double Gauss form, without being able to differentiate that from the outside, so only inspection using a strong light reveals how a certain one is made inside.

Klaus,

Do you count the number of reflections and if so, how many would one find in each?

P.S.: those lenses are wonderful for portrait work (no yet my thing) and my friend does that so perfectly, but I don't want to link to another forum here, so ask me if you like....

I'd like to look into these. Do you have any idea of the MTFs in the central 30% of the lenses? I;m wondering how large they could be enlarged and also whether to use them on for 4x5 or 8x10 film if they can deliver a larger image circle if useful illumination and resolution.

I also have LF lenses, perhaps can adapt them too!

We need another calculation engine, LOL!

Asher

P.S. You have earned the rights to post any links you deem fit. They can only enrich us!

Wow! Sun-Kissed. I love how the sun just creates this wonderful fragility and just makes these flowers glow. I also love the first one best of all, but they are all beautiful.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Klaus,

Do you count the number of reflections and if so, how many would one find in each?

I'd like to look into these. Do you have any idea of the MTFs in the central 30% of the lenses? I;m wondering how large they could be enlarged and also whether to use them on for 4x5 or 8x10 film if they can deliver a larger image circle if useful illumination and resolution.

I also have LF lenses, perhaps can adapt them too!

We need another calculation engine, LOL!

Asher

P.S. You have earned the rights to post any links you deem fit. They can only enrich us!

Thanks Asher. Yes, I do count the reflections and them take half ot it to make the number of elements. Glued elements are a bit hard to discover tho, sometimes with a faint reflection, sometimes even without. These have 6 lens elements of which two are glued (i.e. 6 lenses in 4 groups = 6e/4g), so that leads to 8 reflections (plus two very faint ones).

MTF has never been published for these russian lenses but the resolution has, so this one has 100/65 i.e. 100lpm in center and 65 outside which is quite impressive. Those were made for the 35mm movie film format, so won't be useful for larger formats. There are lenses for 70mm movie film format projection of even higher resolution, but also those only cover approx. 52 by 23 mm format.

Wow! Sun-Kissed. I love how the sun just creates this wonderful fragility and just makes these flowers glow. I also love the first one best of all, but they are all beautiful.
Thanks Maggie, indeed I found this very catchy when I first saw those tulips and wanted to record that. Quite happy with the results I am now. It takes a bit of practise with this very shallow DOF especially considering the ever present wind. But one gets used to that and develop some predictive shooting method which works quite well ;-)

Asher Kelman

Thanks Klaus,

Most folk don't know anything of using lenses that need adapters, ND filters and a focussing mount. But if you have a setup of the focussing mount, it's just a matter of getting adapter rings. Do you have links to these?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks Klaus,

Most folk don't know anything of using lenses that need adapters, ND filters and a focusing mount. But if you have a setup of the focusing mount, it's just a matter of getting adapter rings. Do you have links to these?

Asher

The focusing helicoids may be bought from ebay, the adapters for the lenses will be made available also there as well as adapters for mounting the helicoid to the cameras.