• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

calm

27c5f7a9237333ce3695989fd3174f4b6g.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Georg
what a nice view! and strange crocodiles;-)

BTW, your image has no color profile embedded, so looking at it in PS the colors are completely different (much more saturated and deeper blues) than shown in Safari (color managed), is this image profiled with sRGB or aRgb?

Greetings to Ireland and Dunegal!!!

Hi Georg
what a nice view! and strange crocodiles;-)

BTW, your image has no color profile embedded, so looking at it in PS the colors are completely different (much more saturated and deeper blues) than shown in Safari (color managed), is this image profiled with sRGB or aRgb?

Greetings to Ireland and Dunegal!!!

I most definately attached ICC when converting to sRGB JPEG in CS3. Strange. Must check that again.

First experiences with sinar M Nicolas, 28mm, f34, 5x exposure

On the way back it hit me that I should have used ISO 400 instead, well, that's why I like photography, always something to discover and learn.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator

On the way back it hit me that I should have used ISO 400 instead, well, that's why I like photography, always something to discover and learn.

Ah!
I was sure of it!
what are your first feeling?
What PP did ou use to "derawtise" your file? Brumbaer tools?
And why should you have used 400 ISO?

Ah!
I was sure of it!

Well Nicolas, that is a tricky question, you have to keep in mind that I am a total newcomer to medium format, and that my perspective is out of my needs for outdoor photography, of course the M is a fantastic system by all means, let aside the quality of the files you are rewarded with.

However, I am facing many situations that are suboptimal for use in the field due to weather conditions and practical considerations. All of them could find solutions I would guess.

See, I was hiking with my gear, a backpack with olympus gear, mainly one camera, three lenses plus utils, a heavy tripod and panorama head, as well as a big bag around my shoulders with the Sinar gear, whereby I walked for a long time and had no chance to use the Sinar at all due to rainshowers that come quicker than you can safely wrap her up again in the bag.

If I am to work in future with both, DSLR and MDBF I need to find a solution that allows me to have both systems in one single backback, the latter needs to be seriously bigger than the one I have. I have not seen a standard photo backpack yet that is suitable for medium format needs. May be it is out there, I would be gratfeul if anyone knows about it and can post a link.

The other point is the changing of lenses. You would want to be in a sheltered spot to be able to change the 28mm and attach a 100mm or similiar. To do that outdoors. which I have never tried, is somewhat difficult as you have to attach the mirror box and prism finder first after taking the 28mm of, hence expose the system to the elements.

Both, the 100mm and 80mm came in leather pouches, and can be transported like any other lense. However, the mirror box and the prism finder, and most of all the 28mm did not come with any suitable transport packaging.

I have not spoken to Loko or Thierry about that yet, just did not have the time, but I will give them my feedback about this of course and may be something like this exists already.

I would suggest to have small pelicase like boxes for both the prims finder and the mirror box for transport needs. If I would keep the M this would be the first thing for me to look at. Once you have suitable transport packaging, you can define your backpack needs and probably can manage to hike with both, the Sinar and a DSLR with a set of lenses.

The 28mm is a special beast and due to it's construction a little difficult to transport in a backpack, also here, a special pelicase like packaging would be required for transport. Although this adds to packaging volume, and probably would make it impossible to pack in a normal sized backpack, once it is weather and shock proof, it could be attached to the outside of the backpack for example, however, ideally inside, but this needs a different backpack alltogether.

All in all, I just started to have a chance to work with the system and naturally face a learning curve.

But after overcoming the initial hurdles, I do face a much bigger problem now, and I have no immediate solution for that.

How can I ever go back to a lesser file quality again? <smile>

The weather forecast hopes for a better time from midweek on, in fact, such high pressure systems that are building up slowly have not been seen around since last May, and ever since we had rain, apparently we had the most rainfall scince 75 years.

Exposure

To achieve a higher shutter speed for the multi exposures I was aiming for.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

5X exposures? You mean you too 5 exposures to accumulate in one file or 5 exposures to stack?

Also is f32 the best aperture. At that tiny size, likely that you are degrading the image by virtue of the small pixel pitch defining the ligh wave perturbations caused by that small aperture. Bart or John need to give us some calculated parameters. So what digital back is it? I'd like to know the pixel pitch and then the optimal f stops.

Asher