• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Help...need inspiration and advice

fahim mohammed

My wife and me have planned to visit nepal come November. She for trekking to Everest base camp, and
me as a hang on! I shall try to be at the lowest elevations possible.

Folks I need your experienced advice on:

1. What would you photograph if you were visiting Nepal ? All suggestions are appreciated.
2. What equipment would you take with you on this trip ?
3. Would you carry a backup ?

Obvious constraints are: weight
Equipment decided upon: G9 to be carried by the wife.

Available equipment: 35mm rf ( film and digital ); Nikon D700 and D300

Shall eagerly await your suggestions based on past experience or wishful considerations.

Thanks and best regards.

Rachel Foster

The main thing you need to take to Nepal is....me! Failing that, I would guess one great telephoto and a walk around? And a monopod? I'm very interested to hear what people suggest.

Mike Shimwell

Fahim,

Having jsut lugged a 1Ds3 for a full day I'd take the Ikon! More seriously, it depends if you are carrying everything yourself? For me ideally a dslr and an rf with just a few lenses. My recent view has been that even a 5D with a 24-105, whilst a great walk around terms of ability is a bit big around towns (although a perfect comnination on a 2 hour glacier walk). I'd probably take a 50 or a 35 as a walk around lens and swap if I needed anything more.

Mike

Michael Fontana

pro member
good evening, fahim

it looks like the mountains will be a big theme -
as they would be or me to.. but Nepal has more to offer than that.

Off course, if going up just once to the base camps, and just for short times, the cam's choice is not a issue.

For longer sojourn's, its tempting to take a DSLR, but I'm not sure if I would take it to such altitudes as about 5000 m - the base camps heights - for battery reasons:

- all the DSLRs suck generally much more power than a film cam; its accu's are heavy, comparing to the film cam's batteries, the later are just peanuts..

- in cold temperature the batteries are getting weak much faster, so if you can't recharge them on location - which I doubt - a DSLR is more a risc, apart from the charger's weight. A bout a months ago, when having snow, I couldn't use the DSLR anymore at 2.5 k, only! okay, it wasn't the newest battery, but still.....

So my opinion: a manual cam for film, but no backupcam, as I'd let it check before going there.

Higher you go, more you'll suffer for every gramm.

A good monopod would be your walking stick, with a adaptor for screwing the cam on it.

fahim mohammed

Rachel, you are more than welcome, shall I say but I insist, if you can accompany the wife and I am left alone :)

I have been trying all possible combinations e.g

D300 + 17-55 + 70-300 vr ( ouch ! )
D700 + zf 25 + nikkor 50 + nikkor 85 ( ouch and ouch ! )
D700 + nikkor 50 + zf 100 ( OOOUUCH !)
D700+zf 35 + nikkor 50 ( only if forced !)
D700 + nikkor 50 ( doable but only one lens ? )

M8 + cron 28 + cron 75 ( about the same weight as the D700 + zf 35 )
MP + cron 35 + elmarit 90 ( doable, but I love my lux 50 )

M8 + MP + cron 28 + lux 50 +film ( reasonable giving me a backup )

The permutations are driving me crazy..Just a MP + cron 35 + film ?

This is the reason for coming to you folks.

Regards.

The main thing you need to take to Nepal is....me! Failing that, I would guess one great telephoto and a walk around? And a monopod? I'm very interested to hear what people suggest.

fahim mohammed

Mike, I guess the main difference between you and me is my age! I am not as young or fit as you are.
I shall only approach a glacier if a heli can land there! High altitudes preclude helis, i hear :)

a 35/28 fl on the MP, and a 50mm in the pocket..i think should do it. what about the mountains at sunrise and sunset. they might look like fleas in the pics!

Help me Mike!

Fahim,

Having jsut lugged a 1Ds3 for a full day I'd take the Ikon! More seriously, it depends if you are carrying everything yourself? For me ideally a dslr and an rf with just a few lenses. My recent view has been that even a 5D with a 24-105, whilst a great walk around terms of ability is a bit big around towns (although a perfect comnination on a 2 hour glacier walk). I'd probably take a 50 or a 35 as a walk around lens and swap if I needed anything more.

Mike

fahim mohammed

Michael, good evening to you too!

The batter drain is indeed worrying. I have scoured the net and related forums and the general
feeling I get is that film processing back there is a bit outdated. But these folks were talking about
a year ago. talking to our ( my wife's ) trekking leader ( a gurkha commando in the UK marines no less)
informs me that labs are all computerised for c41 film processing.

Mountains do call for a tele and teles are heavy + the weight of the Nikon + the monopod + my medicines...this is getting serious heavy :). What say you my friend!

Best.

good evening, fahim

it looks like the mountains will be a big theme -
as they would be or me to.. but Nepal has more to offer than that.

Off course, if going up just once to the base camps, and just for short times, the cam's choice is not a issue.

For longer sojourn's, its tempting to take a DSLR, but I'm not sure if I would take it to such altitudes as about 5000 m - the base camps heights - for battery reasons:

- all the DSLRs suck generally much more power than a film cam; its accu's are heavy, comparing to the film cam's batteries, the later are just peanuts..

- in cold temperature the batteries are getting weak much faster, so if you can't recharge them on location - which I doubt - a DSLR is more a risc, apart from the charger's weight. A bout a months ago, when having snow, I couldn't use the DSLR anymore at 2.5 k, only! okay, it wasn't the newest battery, but still.....

So my opinion: a manual cam for film, but no backupcam, as I'd let it check before going there.

Higher you go, more you'll suffer for every gramm.

A good monopod would be your walking stick, with a adaptor for screwing the cam on it.

Michael Fontana

pro member
fahim

I don't know, how you relate to mountains; if you're not toooo used to them, keeping it easy and relaxed sounds like a good advise!

I'd go for: MP + cron 35 + elmarit 90, to keep everything - including the weight - easy and relaxed.

Fearing the local labs, you might develop' em once your back home, too.
If you'd want go wider than 35 mm, you still could stitch its scans, later, plus 90 mm is not bad in the mountians either.

If wheater works out fine, in a week, I'll be in the alps for some shots and panos; but different than last year, I' ve a sort of donkey with me ;-)
the seleepingbag for sleeping outdoors in minustemperatures is heavy enough

Mike Shimwell

Mike, I guess the main difference between you and me is my age! I am not as young or fit as you are.
I shall only approach a glacier if a heli can land there! High altitudes preclude helis, i hear :)

a 35/28 fl on the MP, and a 50mm in the pocket..i think should do it. what about the mountains at sunrise and sunset. they might look like fleas in the pics!

Help me Mike!

Fahim, I picked up an old Minolta Rokkor 90 f4 - it's very small and light - in fact I think my rf kit weighs less than a 5D and 24-105, and can almost cover a similar range. How about 28, 35/50, 90, I'd miss my 50, so that would be my first choice, but a lot of people prefer 35.

Also, I'm told the Nepalese mountains are large - you may like the wides!

I hope that you both enjoy the trip.

Mike

fahim mohammed

Michael, I too am thinking the same way. Please post the panos of the alps, as I hve never done them,
and don't know how to approach creating panos.

Best.

fahim

I don't know, how you relate to mountains; if you're not toooo used to them, keeping it easy and relaxed sounds like a good advise!

I'd go for: MP + cron 35 + elmarit 90, to keep everything - including the weight - easy and relaxed.

Fearing the local labs, you might develop' em once your back home, too.
If you'd want go wider than 35 mm, you still could stitch its scans, later, plus 90 mm is not bad in the mountians either.

If wheater works out fine, in a week, I'll be in the alps for some shots and panos; but different than last year, I' ve a sort of donkey with me ;-)
the seleepingbag for sleeping outdoors in minustemperatures is heavy enough

fahim mohammed

Mike, was the f4 on the rokkor a good compromise for size? I do have a f4 90mm which is an
ideal size/weight for travel.

Best.

That's what the sherpas are for. Even if you are not climbing to the base camp but rather are staying below and getting your images while waiting on your wife's climb, you can still pay someone to "caddy" for you. Take everything you might need and have them carry it. Jiminy Crickets!!! If I had the opportunity to go where you are about to go, I would not leave anything to chance. In my case it would most likely be a once in a lifetime journey so there would be no going back again or second chances to do it better. Maybe your circumstances are much different and you can use this trip as a practice session to determine how best to do it right next time. I just know that I would really hate it finding myself in a position where my 50mm lens would give me that one picture of a lifetime only to remember I left it at home because it was 8 ounces too heavy. Did you ever see the Imax movie Everest? Now their's was a weight and logistical nightmare for sure. I just wish that I could do the traveling and see the wonderful and special places on this earth that some of you lucky OPF'ers get to see. I live vicariously through your exploits so I want you to do the best possible job in order to best fulfill my needs :) I can't wait to see Nepal and Everest and everything else there is to experience at that mystical place as it was seen through your eyes.

James Newman

fahim mohammed

James, well said. Yes, I have seen the Imax movie. Stunning and awesome. What I shall do is put
all the equipment I think I might need ( and that I have used previously ) and see what it comprises of.
I shall let you know.

What you have so very eloquently, in the last sentence or two, said makes me think twice about the
game plan.

Thank you best wishes.

That's what the sherpas are for. Even if you are not climbing to the base camp but rather are staying below and getting your images while waiting on your wife's climb, you can still pay someone to "caddy" for you. Take everything you might need and have them carry it. Jiminy Crickets!!! If I had the opportunity to go where you are about to go, I would not leave anything to chance. In my case it would most likely be a once in a lifetime journey so there would be no going back again or second chances to do it better. Maybe your circumstances are much different and you can use this trip as a practice session to determine how best to do it right next time. I just know that I would really hate it finding myself in a position where my 50mm lens would give me that one picture of a lifetime only to remember I left it at home because it was 8 ounces too heavy. Did you ever see the Imax movie Everest? Now their's was a weight and logistical nightmare for sure. I just wish that I could do the traveling and see the wonderful and special places on this earth that some of you lucky OPF'ers get to see. I live vicariously through your exploits so I want you to do the best possible job in order to best fulfill my needs :) I can't wait to see Nepal and Everest and everything else there is to experience at that mystical place as it was seen through your eyes.

James Newman

Michael Fontana

pro member
fahim

here there's a zoomify-pano; out of that thread,

and here you'll find some of 08, thse were all handheld - whithout a special panorama head.

The function of a panorama head is demonstrated here

Once, the images are on your computer, you can stitch the frames with stitching software like PTGui, which I most prefer.

With far objects like landscapes, you could even handheld, or add a screw to your walking sticks, to make kinda panohead out of it.

fahim mohammed

Mike, thanks for the info. I have to assimilate it and visit the sw site. But Mike, this could be
interesting.

Really appreciated.

Mike Shimwell

Mike, was the f4 on the rokkor a good compromise for size? I do have a f4 90mm which is an
ideal size/weight for travel.

Best.

I bought the 90 f4 for two reasons really. First it was available at a good price and secondly simply that I've always liked the 85 (to 90) focal length since I go an FD 85 1.8 years ago. The lens is actually a great compromise for carrying as it fits in a pocket as easily as a 35 or 50 rf lens.

Sometimes it would be nice to have something faster, but that would have cost more and be less portable.

I do actually still have 85 1.8s in fd and ef mount so can shoot bigger apertures either film or digitally if I wish.

Mike