Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Retouching & Repairing

Old August 7th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Default tattoo

Hi, found that the forum was a bit sleepy these days so here I am...

Made a retouch for my online portfolio, and I tried to make a "cry baby" style tattoo.
i DIDN'T READ ANY TUT ON THE NET because the idea came to me as I was refining the image (like a "eureka"!)

I find that it looks fake.
my color is
blue 31-50-63
blending vivid color, opacity 95%, large amount of blur.
tried the "Blend if": blue function, works well but it's too faded.

What do you think?

Last edited by Asher Kelman; August 7th, 2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: side by side and centered
Old August 7th, 2010, 09:32 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine Bascouert View Post
Hi, found that the forum was a bit sleepy these days so here I am...

Made a retouch for my online portfolio, and I tried to make a "cry baby" style tattoo.
i DIDN'T READ ANY TUT ON THE NET because the idea came to me as I was refining the image (like a "eureka"!)

I find that it looks fake.
my color is
blue 31-50-63
blending vivid color, opacity 95%, large amount of blur.
tried the "Blend if": blue function, works well but it's too faded.
What do you think?

Sandrine,

Having put them side by side, that was a mistake! Each one interfered with the other. The first picture is sharp, looks staged, but works. The two elements, the eyes and the lips are needed and balance each other.

Now we are distracted by the decoration on her left cheek and the increased importance of the forehead and shape of the nose, (being so close to the camera), as more of the picture is so blurred.

In such images, the lips seem to be sharper to make it work. Maybe blur the entire face!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 7th, 2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post

Having put them side by side, that was a mistake! Each one interfered with the other. The first picture is sharp, looks staged, but works. The two elements, the eyes and the lips are needed and balance each other.
My view of this is apparently completely different from Asher's. As an a/b camera techie comparison it's a big "so what".

But it's value as a diptych is actually quite strong. I would not be at all surprised to see these frames printed quite large, probably on dibond or back-printed on acrylic, and hanging on view at this fall's Paris Photo with a dealer offer tag of $12,000 - $15,000.

I'm quite serious. This type of work could be, and indeed is, presented as powerful stuff in the art world today. You should consider toddling further down this path, Sandrine, particularly with this slightly feminine angle.
Old August 7th, 2010, 11:03 AM

I will be very honest, and first of all thank you Ken and Asher...
I found this image on Morguefile, where people dump their "below par" images for the use of others...So the photograph work is not mine, only the retouch is mine.
I was just posting this to know about your views on the technical point of view, retouching speaking.
my intend was to make her even more "cheeky" with an obvious sexual innuendo.
The tattoo was here to make her more girly, and it's absolutely not essential (IMHO).

I want to put it on my portfolio, and don't intend to make some money with it.
#If I do, I promise to share with the photographer :-)#

for those who are interressed...

http://www.morguefile.com/

and this

http://www.morguefile.com/license/morguefile/
Old August 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tanaka View Post
My view of this is apparently completely different from Asher's. As an a/b camera techie comparison it's a big "so what".

But it's value as a diptych is actually quite strong. I would not be at all surprised to see these frames printed quite large, probably on dibond or back-printed on acrylic, and hanging on view at this fall's Paris Photo with a dealer offer tag of $12,000 - $15,000.

I'm quite serious. This type of work could be, and indeed is, presented as powerful stuff in the art world today. You should consider toddling further down this path, Sandrine, particularly with this slightly feminine angle.
Thanks so much Ken for that brilliant idea and important reminder of the Paris show! On impulse, I'd edited Sandrine's post, since I thought the a/b/ comparison would better explain Sandrine's retouch work. Then regrets, too late, because that made them communicate, one with another. I missed that since I was focused on the value of her retouch.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.