• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The world goes by

Sam Hames

transformed_IMG_20150426_132429_1.thumbnail.jpg

I'm still getting a kick out of playing around with time and motion.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
transformed_IMG_20150426_132429_1.thumbnail.jpg

I'm still getting a kick out of playing around with time and motion.

I do feel the transience of the space more than understand it and I like the experience!

I'm not sure, Sam that I know enough to fully appreciate this constructed and creative work dealing with flashes of time. Is this more than layers of sequential frames, each allowed to show at a lesser than 100%? Or is there more

Are you working in a world of established artists to which your work refers or pays homage. I.O.W., can you give us a but of an introduction or primer to such photography?

Asher

Sam Hames

I do feel the transience of the space more than understand it and I like the experience!

I'm not sure, Sam that I know enough to fully appreciate this constructed and creative work dealing with flashes of time. Is this more than layers of sequential frames, each allowed to show at a lesser than 100%? Or is there more

Are you working in a world of established artists to which your work refers or pays homage. I.O.W., can you give us a but of an introduction or primer to such photography?

Asher

For a moment I thought I posted in the "Serious Business" section. Now I know how Tom Dinning feels! ;)

Seriously though, this is no more and no less than the average of seven consecutive photos taken with a mobile phone. There's no selection or weighting of frames. The interesting blur patterns come about from the individual frames having a bit of motion blur, that is then accentuated in the merging process.

I am mostly interested in pushing the boundaries of what can be done with a handheld camera. The answer is that as an engineer I do it because I can :)

I'd like to say that any art I do is purely accidental, but in this photo and a few others I have been interested to observe how people use public space. Using multiple frames lets you see the difference between just passing through and (temporarily) staying still.

Thanks for looking and asking hard questions.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
For a moment I thought I posted in the "Serious Business" section. Now I know how Tom Dinning feels! ;)

If you know how Tom Dinning feels then you are running ahead of the curve, as I query if even he has a perfect grasp of The subject. All one can do is read what Tom writes and enjoy or not the pictures he selects to share. That does not mean, even if we read every word he's written that we are able to weigh the constant so well that we actually get to truly know what he feels!

What I can say is how I feel in looking at his pictures - he has an interesting window on life and one that he's invested a lot of effort in over decades and the result is that his work is worthy of attention. But that again doesn't allow me to really know him without meeting him and sum hating more beers than I could safely consume!

Same Hames said:
Seriously though, this is no more and no less than the average of seven consecutive photos taken with a mobile phone. There's no selection or weighting of frames. The interesting blur patterns come about from the individual frames having a bit of motion blur, that is then accentuated in the merging process.

I am mostly interested in pushing the boundaries of what can be done with a handheld camera. The answer is that as an engineer I do it because I can :)

I'd like to say that any art I do is purely accidental, but in this photo and a few others I have been interested to observe how people use public space. Using multiple frames lets you see the difference between just passing through and (temporarily) staying still.

Well you are modest in this work! Actually I'm very impressed at the effect. It seems to extend the blur effect of a slow shutter speed, but allow for sharper delineation of moving objects.

Asher