• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photography business website setup

Amy Roberts

I've recently decided to start my own photography business and I really need to set up a website but I've never done it before and would really appreciate some tips/advice. I'm leaning towards using 1&1 as they appear to be user friendly but would be great to hear what others have done? Which host site have you used? Any recommendations?

I've recently decided to start my own photography business and I really need to set up a website but I've never done it before and would really appreciate some tips/advice. I'm leaning towards using 1&1 as they appear to be user friendly but would be great to hear what others have done? Which host site have you used? Any recommendations?

Hi Amy,

I've been with one and one for about 7 or 8 years now. I don't know if they are the best, but I have had a pretty trouble free existence with them. I have the business package, which gives you 3 domains included and I use 2, and a third is used by my son. There is also unlimited download bandwidth which may be important to you if you are expecting a lot of traffic or for people to be downloading anything from your website. I give out free slidestyles for people who make videos, so this was important to me.

I have not used their website builder, but have opted to create both of my sites using Wordpress and building them myself. It is not very difficult if you are tiny bit computer savvy. 1&1 have a wordpress installation setup that is quite stress free and incredibly easy as 1-2-3. I recommend them as personally, I've had no problems and find their fees quite reasonable.

Good luck with you new venture and please share your site once it is up and running. :)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have not used their website builder, but have opted to create both of my sites using Wordpress and building them myself. It is not very difficult if you are tiny bit computer savvy. 1&1 have a wordpress installation setup that is quite stress free and incredibly easy as 1-2-3. I recommend them as personally, I've had no problems and find their fees quite reasonable.

Maggie,

You're computer savvy but do you need to know PHP etc or just obey simply "the rules" as in formatting or adding links in this forum?

Asher

Maggie,

You're computer savvy but do you need to know PHP etc or just obey simply "the rules" as in formatting or adding links in this forum?

Asher

Well, obviously the more you know the easier it is to shape the website to your own taste. Knowledge of php and CSS is very useful. But, and it's a big but, you can make a very nice website without that.
There are many website themes available that are already constructed to make it very easy. There are free ones and others that are premium can be bought at places such as themeforest.net. A premium one can easily be bought between 30-70 dollars and it's a one time thing that you pay and keep as long as you wish, without any other costs. These themes will set up things like social media links automatically, the ability to change fonts, the ability to choose either their backgrounds or to add your own. They mostly come with sliders, and perhaps a few pre-made galleries that you can choose from. One of my websites is a free theme, but I went into the javascript folders and exchanged all the graphics with my own. (yes, I'm a little sneaky! :-D )

Wordpress also has many, many plugins that you can add to keep spam out of your comments etc., etc.,

What is important is to understand the wordpress works in a hierarchy fashion, so that you need to to place things in order of parents etc., If you have a good theme, (I think using a theme is smart and there are even good free ones out there) as there will often be explanations on how to do things. I know when I did mine the first time, I hadn't a clue what I was doing, and was frustrated at first, but once you understand how things work, it is relatively easy. Wordpress also has forums that are easy to search and most often premium paid themes come with forums where you can ask questions. Free themes may or may not.

If you have no experience at all, then perhaps something like squarespace.com would be a good place as it is very much drag and drop, no comp experience needed, although php and css etc., will allow you to really make it yours. I know someone that has used squarespace and they like it a lot, but it is more expensive than making it with wordpress. Also, squarespace will allow you to try out making your own website for a whole month, with only an email subscription and no credit card information needed.

Amy Roberts

This is all really useful thanks. I went with 1&1 but then haven't been able to do much tothe site as I've had so much on, but hoping to get it all sorted this weekend.
Thanks everyone :)