• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Portrait in B&W

Antonio Correia

i-szr534R-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Antonio,

No reply to my question on the light, but that doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the uniqueness and success in getting my attention and drawing me in. The person does seem distinguished and occupied. I'd love to see more shots of him. Did you consider the vertical line on the forehead as an important small element to define him? Is that a line of perspiration or else perhaps a scar. I would love to know if you thought about that when you cropped the picture and then did you frame it like this at the outset?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Sorry Asher. I am sorry !
I thought I had posted an answer but some how I was wrong. Excuse me !!!
Yes, natural light indeed.

Excuse me Asher. I didn't mean to ! :)

Antonio Correia

Asher, I will write a lot about this picture but I am afraid you are going to wait until next month as I will be elsewhere for some time.

Because I know that if I am going to explain everything - what I intend to do - it will take me some time. As you understand I do not write at your speed in spite of thinking in English.

Perhaps tomorrow I will give a go on this or even after tomorrow if I have the time.

:)

James Lemon

Very interesting composition Antonio! Looks like a scar on his head and not perspiration. In any event I really like the image.

Martin Stephens

Stylish and provocative and effective use of framing. What is in, what is out - that makes intrigue. I suppose to have a small gripe I wish it had more focus depth. That hank of OOF hair on left is less than idea for me.

Natural light?
I protest the question Asher..., it's more related to the technique than the (su-pe-rb) result! ...and this is a shot that does suggest "new paths" for photography to advance... I am "sick and tired" of people trying to be "Ansel Adams alternatives" in landscapes and I do feel that "trying to copy" masters is the wrong way of approaching photography...
Now, here is something new! Bravo Antonio! ...the scar, the eye expression, the (implemented but still clear) "body language", the "only vital" info approach, ...make for a reference portrait! ...who cares on what the photographer choose to do it? ...remember that there are "some" around that would think that the method had the result, than Antonio (and his visualization that created the outcome) himself!

Chris Calohan

It is an unusual composition/framing which draws you in rather than pushes you away and in that, I think it makes us question our own thoughts as they relate to the "masters," or whomever else is considered to be at the acme of photographic greatness.

I commented on his image in another place and said it had interesting framing that instantly draws you in. I won't get into to all the nitpicking as to whether it is a scar or a bead of sweat as it isn't germane to how I enjoy the overall image. I agree with Theodoros: BRAVO!

I've looked at this several times. I really like it. Unlike Martin, I am glad you kept the hair and the ear out of focus as it holds our attention where you want it to be. The inclination of the head, the intensity of his gaze says a lot about him and about you. Wonderful work!

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Antonio,

I'll join the others in their praise for this portrait, great job.
Have a wonderful holiday in India and I'm hoping you'll come back with a lot of pictures to show us. :)

Antonio Correia

I am back home now but tired.
I have enough of long flights...
I have done some pictures but I will take some time to process them properly. I have done a great series on colored reflexes.
Now... I need to sleep :) :)

Antonio Correia

Hello all :)
At last I got some time to drop some lines on this photograph.
I thought I would have a very good light to photograph in a sound recording studio which walls, ceiling are black with wooden floor and with two narrow windows facing south.

In fact, the photograph I have done was simply to measure the light available on the face of Sarrico using the aperture priority. Then I would move to manual using the settings available previously.
To start I was just using the available light then I used someone to hold the flash on my right side.
Usually I make a lot of pictures trying to get the person in the best position or with the best possible face. Some people are very difficult to get while others are pretty easy.
I told him to remove his glasses but he was doing it too quickly.

i-4Cqf9fs-XL.jpg
i-N8n2P8x-XL.jpg

Anyway this project is ending and we are (Teofilo and myself) starting a new one portraits also, which I want to make with a quite different approach. The first image I posted here will be not a unique guide line.

I have photographed this guy with excellent results with only two photographs for example.

i-TbxhXL9-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Antonio,

Thanks for sharing the methodology you have used here. It's good to look over your shoulder like this. I really like the very last image on the lower right. The light is perfect and the colors so rich. could you show it alone and larger?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Here is the last one, bottom right. Not very flattering... :)
I do not know why it has a greenish cast... perhaps I have done anything in LR and can't remember...

i-Qftgmp4-XL.jpg

I also post underneath two images separated by a second !
What is the difference between the two of them ?
The one on our left has a flash on our left and the other doesn't. The flash - in spite of using an external batterie - did not recycle in time, while the other one - for his head - made the two photographs.
It is curious the influence of the flash on the left image.

When we use a flash we tend to bounce it against a white area or over a non coloured one in order not to have casts.
The flash was agains the black wall and this resulted in a very soft light looking as if it was only the light from outside, the natural light.
I will be taking more photographs in this room in a near future and I hope to be able to use the flash this way.

Here he is holding his glasses which I asked to remove and place but he was doing the action too fast.

As usual in these portraits I use the great and heavy Canon 70-200 L IS USM f/2.8 with the 5D. For this I always need to take my distance to the subject. The compartment is not very long... Moreover, he couldn't be too close to the background because I didn't want to get the texture on the wall. The lens was at 100mm.

Thank you for asking Asher !

i-CwBV4w2-XL.jpg