• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

View last night

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Georg,

I do like your photograph stands on it's own. it stands on it's own. Travenagh Bay is interesting and now I'd like to say it in early morning when a mist hangs over the water. Does it?

Anyway, these are rich handsome colors. It looks like you just misswed the reflection of the sun on the water, which you should getnext time! The will set the water on fire!

Interesting that we see no lights in buildings? Is that a water tower, a chimney or a lighthouse on the hills on the left?

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

P.S. Frameless with the drop shadow, would be an idea to consider.

Cem_Usakligil

a little view from my spot last night..
Hi Georg,

I hope you are aware of the fact that you are one very lucky person to be living at a spot like that.
Anyway, I like the picture but I also miss the feeling of depth, the 3D, a bit. Maybe, if the shades of the foreground and the mountains were a bit more contrasting, you'd get better depth. Like Asher said, some more reflections or highlights on the water would have helped as well.

Thanks for sharing :).

Cheers,

Hello Asher,

Yes, we do have such mist occaisonally, however, the last time I tried to shoot that I was eaten alive by midges when the sun got out, hard to explain that if you never experienced a swarm of those bastards attacking you, you will not stay and try to photograph, so much is certain. They are only 3mm in size, but vicious as Hell.

No water tower, I think this is part of a tree branch or something.

See, there are no lights because there are only very few houses around.

Hi Georg,

I hope you are aware of the fact that you are one very lucky person to be living at a spot like that.
Anyway, I like the picture but I also miss the feeling of depth, the 3D, a bit. Maybe, if the shades of the foreground and the mountains were a bit more contrasting, you'd get better depth. Like Asher said, some more reflections or highlights on the water would have helped as well.

Thanks for sharing :).

Cheers,

Took us 3 years alltogether to find a spot like this. Before that I nearly bought a horsefarm on 7 acres, but we did not do it because the estate agent was trying to gamzump us.

Yeah, it is special here in Donegal in deed. <grins>

Cem_Usakligil

HDR?

Hi Georg,

I am guessing that the second picture is a HDR composite, right?
Re. the midges, did you try using Deet which is a strong insect repellent. It might help.

Cheers,

Hi Georg,

I am guessing that the second picture is a HDR composite, right?
Re. the midges, did you try using Deet which is a strong insect repellent. It might help.

Cheers,

No HDR, just a single shot at round about 60 sec exposure with ND Filter.

For our property I bought a midge killing maschine, we are nearly midge free here on round about 1 acre of 5, the rest is death zone at times. No I did not try deet, but I saw that there are portable midge repellents that clear an area of about 20 m2 around you once it is active. I plan to get one, because otherwise you really missout on some nice shots here.

Ray West

Hi Asher,

Interesting that we see no lights in buildings? Is that a water tower, a chimney or a lighthouse on the hills on the left?
georgs1.jpg

All is revealed re water tower - and looks like only one light on across the bay (or maybe an active sensor pixel- better buy Georg a lf cam & scanning back...)

Best wishes,

Ray

Ray West

So where is the global warming/greenhouse gas issue now? This just generates CO2, to attract the midges, away from you. That's all it does. Burns butane/propane whatever to generate CO2.

Is it nobler to suffer the midges, or save the world ;-)

</wind up mode off>

Best wishes,

Ray

Additionally it uses attractant.

The Co2 balance of the maschine is something I have no data about. But taking into account that a 11 Kg bottle last at minimum 21 days around the clock.... well you can do the math <grins>