• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Yearly Cost of a 1D series camera?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Lenses don't date that much, cameras do!

So if you sell your last year's 1D series camera, what does it cost you in the end per year?

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Original Price minus...

The real price depends on if you have a photography business and can write off the equipment and what your tax bracket would be!

The Math:

Original Price (Not sales taxabke) $8000.00
Depreciation: -1600.00 (IRS Depreciation says it's 5 year life cycle)
Maintenance - 100.00
Subtotal 6300.00

Net Income from Photography ??????????????????????
Take number of shutter actuations and divide income for a per actuation net

Sale of Camera 5000.00

So maybe $3000 for the first year on a 3 year trade in....my guessitmate.
But you have to really figure out what your net or income is to determine

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kethy,

On your calculation, if the camera was sold at the end of 1 year, there would be $1600 depreciation, $100 maintenance. Let's say after 3 years you sell it for $4500, what was your yearly cost? Not being up on tax calculations, here's my try:

We'd have 3 years at $1600 depreciation and $300 maintenance. So that's an expense of $5100. Let's say your taxes are 50%. The tax benefit to you is $2550. The camera then cost you $8000 less $2550 from taxes, less $4500 from selling the camera or just $950 or ~$325/year

So in summary I guesstimate 3 year ownership of a 1Ds II

50% bracket: $325/annum
20% bracket: $836/annum
no deductions $1166/annum

For a $4500 1DII with no deductions held for the same period and sold for $2000, the cost would be $833/annum

Is this what people are experiencing? Do you manage to expense your camera like Kathy? I used to but not now.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
IRS SEction 179...

Asher,

The IRS allows for 100% depreciation deduction for the 1st year called a Section 179 ....comes right off the top of income. Sames as desks, phones, computers, advertising and all other pieces of running a business!

So it really depends on your accountant.

PS: A camera for you is a write off. You are running an internet education forum. Maybe you need a new accountant?