• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A paradox of depth of field reckoning

Doug Kerr

In the film era, and in the early parts of the digital era, depth of field reckoning was generally based on this principle: we would consider blurring due to imperfect focus "acceptable" only to the point where the blurring could be expected to be perceived by a human viewer with "normal" eyesight (in a certain viewing context, perhaps a certain print size viewed from a certain distance).

I call this approach "outlook A".

This might typically be pursued by the (somewhat empirical) selection of a COCDL value (the metric we use to quantify the limit of "acceptable" blurring) of 1/1400 of the image diagonal size at the focal plane.

In modern times, it has become common to deprecate this outlook in favor of this: we will consider blurring due to imperfect focus "acceptable" only to the point where the blurring could be expected to noticeably degrade the camera's resolution potential.

I call this approach "outlook B".

This might typically be pursued by the (somewhat empirical) selection of a COCDL value equal to the sensel pitch of the camera's sensor.

Outlook B leads to a interesting paradox.

Imagine that I am planning a photographic task, a shot of a garden scene in which important objects were two statues that would be at 9 and 11 feet from the chosen camera position.

I have two cameras I might use, both with 36 × 24 mm sensors. The older one, mostly used for "backup", has a sensel layout of 3000 × 2000, and thus a sensel pitch of 0.012 mm.

The older one, used now for most of my "serious" work, has a sensel layout of 4500 × 3000, and thus a sensel pitch of 0.008 mm.

I assume the use of an 80-mm lens with either camera.

I will assume that for some reason, I think in terms of the same desirable aperture with either camera, f/5.6.

I assume that of course I will use my newer camera, and bang the numbers into my handy depth of field calculator to be certain that the important objects at distances 9 and 11 meters will both have not over the "acceptable" blurring. Well, poo! It won't work. The calculated depth of field is too small.

Just for kicks, I do the same thing for my older camera (assuming the same setup), again determining if the important objects at distances 9 and 11 meters will both have not over the "acceptable" blurring.

Son of a gun! It will work!

Guess I had better use the older camera! Glad I kept it.

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Guess I had better use the older camera! Glad I kept it.
Not really logical. If you use the new camera and downsize the image to the dimensions of the old one, the resulting dof will be the same.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Not really logical.
I never said it was logical. It's just a story!

If you use the new camera and downsize the image to the dimensions of the old one, the resulting dof will be the same.
Well, maybe. Depending of course on how we reckon it. Note there is controversy as to how to do that in the case of a downsized image! (Which I don't understand, but then I am only a telephone engineer.)

How would you proceed to reckon it that vein in the case of my example?

Remember, we are speaking of a calculated characterization of behavior, not a physical phenomenon.

The real moral of the story is that, as with everything, before we start fooling around with such matters as depth of field, we need to have in mind why we are doing it!

Thanks for your observations.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Not really logical. If you use the new camera and downsize the image to the dimensions of the old one, the resulting dof will be the same.

In fact, if we made an 8x10 print from the image from the two cameras, the blurring of the "9m" and "11m" objects would look just the same on each.

So of course the depth of field would be the same.

My point was to illuminate how blind application of "Outlook B" can take us to a misleading result.

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Hi, Cem,

In fact, if we made an 8x10 print from the image from the two cameras, the blurring of the "9m" and "11m" objects would look just the same on each.

So of course the depth of field would be the same.

My point was to illuminate how blind application of "Outlook B" can take us to a misleading result.

Best regards,

Doug
I make a great stooge Doug, don't I? ;)