• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: We're all Screwed, says Assange!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here's a video of the screwdom we're now in! So how do we protect ourselves and our privacy or is that now an utter delusion?

Asher

Mark Hampton

I hope that you are not telling me that you are surprised?

Jerome,

the size of the insustry is a suprise to me - é4bn in europe or some such figure is

on a personal side all my planning and dodgy stuff is done face to face in a locked box in which I may or may not be alive or dead - this is the way forward - if you dont sharing with alive/dead cats !

Jerome Marot

Jerome,

the size of the insustry is a suprise to me - é4bn in europe or some such figure is

on a personal side all my planning and dodgy stuff is done face to face in a locked box in which I may or may not be alive or dead - this is the way forward - if you dont sharing with alive/dead cats !

Quite an interesting box. Airtight, obviously.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Even before all this revelation, i'm not sure that I like facebook. Do we really need all parts of our live to come together on one page? normally, self-dosclosure has been a tradition associated with earned friendship and trust. now all this is bi-passed for entertainment. But it's really the camel's head in the tent! It is just the beginning.

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

Hi Don,

Unless I'm misinterpreting your comment, it's not funny to speculate on someone's death by US government (or any government) intervention, ever. In fact, it's exactly what the issue is (ultimately) about.

Cheers,
Bart

Oh, I am not talking about the CIA or US government actually killing him as they are not that stupid but the reality is Assange really embarrassed turned the cart over on a lot of powerful people and his fate will be sealed one way or the other.

A friend told me after Assange came out with that about BAC that he would have liked Assange with a new pair of Nikes dropped off in South Central LA . I added to him also wearing a T shirt with a Confederate flag and Martin Luther King sux :D
Don

Tracy Lebenzon

Here's a video of the screwdom we're now in! So how do we protect ourselves and our privacy or is that now an utter delusion?

Asher

Ever since it became fairly common knowledge shortly after 9-11 that the NSA monitored all electronic communication in the US, I've largely given up on the expectation of privacy, where it interacts with electronic media.

Add that tools such as Google Earth, as stated Facebook et al, and that so many people already (and with ever increasing numbers joining them) live their lives openly, on-line where most everything is accessible anyway, and it is predictable that ever spiraling and increasing networks of information sifting takes place. Evidently information sifting is lucrative business.

Historically, the right to privacy has not been a tool accessible by the masses. IIRC information technology has nearly always lead the way to eroding expectations of privacy, going back to at least the first news papers. Laws such as the “Patriot Act” and similar laws in other countries have served to not only take full advantage of IT as a tool to extract information, but also to extend it’s capabilities specifically to help sift through billions of instances of person to person communications.

The only workable defense that remains to protect us is the fabled cone of silence
images

Well that and there are still some encryption technologies that are pretty hard to crack

Tracy Lebenzon

"A senior executive at a technology company that makes monitoring software secretly installed on 141 million cellphones said Thursday that the FBI approached the company about using its technology but was rebuffed. ..."

"During an oversight hearing Wednesday, Mueller told the Senate Judiciary Committee that the FBI "neither sought nor obtained any information from Carrier IQ in any one of our investigations." Mueller was responding to a question by Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., chairman of the committee's privacy and technology panel, who has said collecting personal information from people's cellphones could violate federal law"

"The company posted a 19-page statement on its website that explains what its software does. It said the only data collected is to help solve common problems, such as batteries that drain too quickly or calls that fail to connect."

"The software, called IQ Agent, typically transmits 200 kilobytes of diagnostic data - the equivalent of 50 typed pages - once each day when the phone is not being used, the company said, but decisions about what information to collect and how it is analyzed is determined by the phone companies and the agreements they have with their customers."

(emphasis added)

from: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2017025458_apusfbiphonetrackingsoftware.html

CD Holden

Even before all this revelation, i'm not sure that I like facebook. Do we really need all parts of our live to come together on one page? normally, self-dosclosure has been a tradition associated with earned friendship and trust. now all this is bi-passed for entertainment. But it's really the camel's head in the tent! It is just the beginning.

Asher

Remember "1984"? People used to fear an Orwellian government that had access to all sorts of personal information about us. Where did that fear go? People gave up on their government looking for info, so they decided to provide it to them without the need for surveillance. Many users of Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, etc openly post details about their lives that they wouldn't tell their next door neighbor. Propspective employers now use these as research tools to see if you can use social media responsibly or if you're just some idiot posting drunk photos of yourself online.
Don't bother looking. You won't find any photos of me in Tijuana.