• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Some silly Thanksgiving stuff...

John Angulat

pro member
Many of us here in the U.S. are familiar with Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.
Children watch it on television, looking for their favorite characters represented in the 2 or 3 storey high helium balloons that are an iconic part of the parade.
I've always had an opportunity to gain access to the staging area the night before the parade.
Everything's been inflated and all the characters are weighted down with sandbags and cargo netting.
Wandering around between these giants is very strange.
Here's a link to a quick slide show from last year's parade.
No amazing shots, nothing artistic, just some snaps from a vantage point many do not get to see.
I also thought it interesting that, after 80 years of parades, they still need assembly/inflation instructions!
http://www.lightsimage.com/forum/macys/index.html

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
Hi,

It's a strange effect to see those famoux faces for kids emprisonned in some nets and plated on the ground, as if they were under arrest or something like that...

Regards,

Cedric.

Ruben Alfu

Nice shots John, interesting to see the detail of the sandbags holding the balloons. I worked for almost 10 years in 63rd and Broadway and never went to see this, shame on me.

John Angulat

pro member
Ruben, Cedric, Jameson -
Thanks very much for the comments.
Well Ruben, now you've something to mark on your calendar for next year!
Give me a shout and we'll shoot it together!

Rich Beaubien

Thanks for the SSP slideshow John. There's some really wonderful PJ shots in there. You got me thinking I should apply for a 'pass' next year. Thanks for the smiles.

--Rich

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

You work reminds me of Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels, where the Lilliputians tied him down.

38.jpg

Unknown Artist: Gulliver tied down by the Lilliputians may be copyrighted, "fair use" editorial Source

Picture 3.png

John Angulat: Macy's Thanksgiving Parade "Tied Down" 1

Picture 6.png

John Angulat: Macy's Thanksgiving Parade "Tied Down" 2

Now what sort of message might there be in the tying down of these cartoon figures? Which are we then, the Little people or little Gulivers?

Asher