• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gallery representation

Antonio Correia

Gallery representation in Portugal is far too difficult because of cultural and social prejudices mainy for the natives. A shame indeed. You have to be and live here as national to understand the extend of the problem.

The escape to this turmoil/vortex is to turn outside, to other countries. And perhaps, come back to the small rectangle and then - yes, then - be recognized. Something to laugh about. Or cry...

This is the reason why I have cherished since the beginning Asher's initiative.

In November 2014 I hope to be able to go to the US. More precisely to Roseville, near Sacramento CA.

Then I would like to contact fine art galleries and show my work trying to be represented in the country to project me to other grounds !

I am aware that it is not an easy task knowing that financial reasons will not allow me to spend more than 3 days in these contacts.

But to be able to do so, I must have the contact before getting there and get folios ready to show.

I am writing because I am hoping you could have some kind of contact in this area and could/would be able to share it with me.

In fact a gallery representative would be welcome in any part of the World. :)

Thank you :)

Mean while, here is my "production" for the 8.th March. A burden !

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Gallery representation in Portugal is far too difficult because of cultural and social prejudices mainy for the natives. A shame indeed. You have to be and live here as national to understand the extend of the problem.

The escape to this turmoil/vortex is to turn outside, to other countries. And perhaps, come back to the small rectangle and then - yes, then - be recognized. Something to laugh about. Or cry...

This is the reason why I have cherished since the beginning Asher's initiative.

In November 2014 I hope to be able to go to the US. More precisely to Roseville, near Sacramento CA.

Then I would like to contact fine art galleries and show my work trying to be represented in the country to project me to other grounds !

I am aware that it is not an easy task knowing that financial reasons will not allow me to spend more than 3 days in these contacts.

But to be able to do so, I must have the contact before getting there and get folios ready to show.

I am writing because I am hoping you could have some kind of contact in this area and could/would be able to share it with me.

In fact a gallery representative would be welcome in any part of the World. :)

Thank you :)

Mean while, here is my "production" for the 8.th March. A burden !

Antonio,

Thank goodness people bear burdens and continue their path. why? That's life. We're prepared to labor. We may not like it, but often, the needs we have are not just provided for us.

So you are shouldering the responsibility of promoting your work. You don't have a brother Theo to sell your art, but then, you don't need to cut your ear off either!

I believe that the quality and consistency of your efforts will pay off with your current focus.

Asher

George Holroyd

I feel your pain. Just recently, I received the below rejection from a gallery in the US. I suppose the fact that the letters are getting longer is something, at any rate. Don't quit trying.

Dear George,

Thank you for your interest in the xxxxxxx Gallery and for taking the time to submit samples of your work. I appreciate the time and effort involved in your putting together and sending this information for our consideration.

We do not feel your works fit into the overall direction of our gallery. However, I encourage you to continue to seek representation with other galleries in the area and wish you success in future endeavors.

Thank you again for sharing your work with us.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxx xxxxxxx

Asher Kelman

Antonio and George,

I appreciate the honesty of your reactions, but the realization is shared by all of us that we have no rights here. Making great prints is not sufficient. Lots of folk do that. We need people to believe in us as being "genuine" and that our art will stand the test of time.

We need to believe in out own work and labor until we get to meet a gallerist who is moved enough and has space enough for our photography. There are so many galleries and not all of them are closed to people they don't know.

I believe that both of you can make it and should not be discouraged by rejection.

Even my kids reject my works of art! They have to suffer when visitors rave about stuff Ive done and that's my revenge! But then there's the defense that guests are well-mannered, LOL!

Asher

George Holroyd

Not the place to commiserate on negotiating the hurdles of gaining representation, is it? Probably best we restrict our activities to debating the pros and cons of various bits of gear or better yet, film versus digital.

Antonio, there is no place to discuss the environment that we who make art find ourselves in, because to be an artist is to be alone. The freedom in that lies in recognizing the only opinion that truly matters is one's own. Everything else is self-indulgent white noise from dubious sources.

Asher Kelman

Not the place to commiserate on negotiating the hurdles of gaining representation, is it? Probably best we restrict our activities to debating the pros and cons of various bits of gear or better yet, film versus digital.

Antonio, there is no place to discuss the environment that we who make art find ourselves in, because to be an artist is to be alone. The freedom in that lies in recognizing the only opinion that truly matters is one's own. Everything else is self-indulgent white noise from dubious sources.

George,

Are you still in Paris? Nicolas Claris has found a viable route. Besides running a successful PR agency covering luxury yachts and even marine engines to major architecture, he too has his own private climb to gallery representation, no less daunting than yours. If you can, go to see one of his exhibitions and share ideas. He might have places where his own work didn't fit, but yours could be the work their clients want. Nicolas and Romain his son are two examples of close cooperation and steadfastness in making their ways into the public eye. Our opinions can merit more worth than "white noise", but, of course insufficient without power and influence. That we each have to labor for.

All I'm sure of is that Both Antonio and you produce work that's of such high quality and distinctiveness that you are amongst the few of us I 'd bet on to be able to break through.

Asher

George Holroyd

Thank you for your kind words, Asher. It sure would be nice to find a place on the internet where artists could share stories and perhaps, tips and recommendations on how best to navigate the art scene in various markets, but it seems any attempt to establish such a dialog quickly devolves into a succession of pompous monologues. It's folly to think OPF would or could be any different in that respect.

As for viewing the work of Mr. Claris, I'm afraid that I'll have to give him a miss. We re-located from Paris to Hungary some months ago and will likely be staying on for a while. With any luck, I'll have some good news to report to you before summer.

Jerome Marot

I can get a hint, George. Welcome back, the place is all yours and the white noise will go.

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

Your voice is worth the listen! It's true that there are mostly just two markets; to those who decorate and those collecting known artists. However, at least here in the USA, there are gallerists, who if they so choose, can create a market for work they believe strongly in. They have the prestige, power and influence to pull it off. Connections here can be everything to get to galleries open to new work. Buying such art can be enjoyable and sometimes very profitable! I took such a risk and to my surprise, the curator was right and the paintings I bought increased in value many times over in about 10 years. That's why some galleries do create new markets for the rare artist they come to both admire an trust for a longtime relationship. This is the very tiny but viable market I personally am interested in for my own work.

Still, wall space is limited. Even hints of being "impossible to deal with", not being a long term resource or unreliable will cancel interest, as investment is too precious a commodity.

Asher

Asher Kelman

First, we'd agree, that we have to make art because we must........ and have satisfaction for that. Of course it's not enough! Not everyone gets to be hired as Professor or selected to design a new building. We all have to compete. However, even here, there's enough insight, humility, knowledge and appreciation to help each other. Private angst will remain, but more than a few of us have the potential get the opportunity to make it.

Asher Kelman

.....and networking is key. Even if one's work is great, one needs some opening. Recently I was introduced to a curator who my is interested in my photography and suggested I make a collection for an exhibit in the fall. So, will it actually happen? Let's just see!

So that points to reaching out to people connected with galleries.

.........and, BTW, "Mr Claris" is Nicolas, here and besides his "work" work in architectural marine and prestigious building spheres, he has ventured to support non-profits. That has led to several important gallery exhibitions with beautiful "National Geographic" style photography. Also he has portfolios of abstract work and more. Meeting him would be at least a most enjoyable experience and who knows, perhaps some gallery in his arena might like your work!

Asher

Antonio Correia

I feel your pain. Just recently, I received the below rejection from a gallery in the US. I suppose the fact that the letters are getting longer is something, at any rate. Don't quit trying.

Thank you George :) I will keep on trying as long as I can ! :)

Antonio and George,
I appreciate the honesty of your reactions, but the realization is shared by all of us that we have no rights here. Making great prints is not sufficient. Lots of folk do that. We need people to believe in us as being "genuine" and that our art will stand the test of time.
We need to believe in out own work and labor until we get to meet a gallerist who is moved enough and has space enough for our photography. There are so many galleries and not all of them are closed to people they don't know.
I believe that both of you can make it and should not be discouraged by rejection. Even my kids reject my works of art! They have to suffer when visitors rave about stuff Ive done and that's my revenge! But then there's the defense that guests are well-mannered, LOL! Asher

Thank you Asher for your kind words. :)

Also to you George and - again - thank you ! :)