• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I'd like your opinions...

John Angulat

pro member
Good morning everyone, I hope this day finds you well!

I’ve noticed what I believe is a change in what used to be considered “customary” with regard to posting, replying, etc. within the threads here on OPF. It seems we have altered some of the structure and discipline we once had.

Some threads, started as solicitation for comment and critique have quickly morphed into something larger or otherwise, from what I believe the originator intended. Is that fair to the originator?

Not all that long ago it would have been considered “poor form” (or at least done under the rarest of circumstances) to add images to a member’s thread. Lately this appears to have become commonplace.
Another observation is how some individual’s image threads have become Challenges, or otherwise made open (by others) to something seemingly not the originator’s intent.

I’ve been left a bit unsettled by this and I’m looking to hear from the forum.
How do you feel about it?
Is it my imagination?
Or, has this improved OPF through increased contribution and interaction?

I'd very much like to hear your thoughts on this.

Damien Paul

My reply is a 'for what it's worth' kind, on the account that I am very new to the forum - so, please forgive any ignorance I may show.

I have posted a few photos - a couple of threads in Architecture and a few other places - personally, I would not mind seeeing other people's examples in the threads I start - the reason is that from their pictorial contributions, I can potentially learn and see techniques that would in all probability be a tad confusing for me.

I will put my hand up and admit guilt on posting a picture in another's thread - namely Foggy road and in a couple of theme threads (I would be quite happy to remove them should the original poster or staff like me to, and if that is the case then also accept my apologies, as I did not know it was taboo).

But, I will happily abide with what the staff here decree.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Damien,
Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.
Please do not feel that you need to apologize or otherwise admit "guilt" for anything!
I never meant to imply that anyone had done anything wrong - I'm just looking for some give-and-take dialogue.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi John,

Good morning everyone, I hope this day finds you well!

I’ve noticed what I believe is a change in what used to be considered “customary” with regard to posting, replying, etc. within the threads here on OPF. It seems we have altered some of the structure and discipline we once had........

I’ve been left a bit unsettled by this and I’m looking to hear from the forum.
How do you feel about it?
Is it my imagination?
Or, has this improved OPF through increased contribution and interaction?

I'd very much like to hear your thoughts on this.
All very good questions and they deserve proper answers. I will try and provide my take on this. Mind you; I don't speak from any given or assumed authority from OPF as a moderator, solely as an OPF member like anybody else.

...Some threads, started as solicitation for comment and critique have quickly morphed into something larger or otherwise, from what I believe the originator intended. Is that fair to the originator?....
I have always had a dislike against threads being morphed into something else (off topic taking over as it were). It has happened to my own threads often in the past and a few years back it has made me angry enough even to stop posting for a while. But this is a common problem to all the fora. The topic of photography covers a lot of areas and it is quite easy to divert from a starting point into others. If this diversion takes place with the consent of the original poster, then there can be no problems. However, I know that some OPs are actually bothered but they do not dare say so out loud. If a diversion is obvious enough, the mods usually split the thread into two parts. But sometimes what may seem to be a diversion to the casual reader is not one as such. As someone who reads almost 99.9% of the posts made in OPF, I can identify well enough when a seemingly off-topic reaction is a continuation of a previous discussion which had been conducted with the OP elsewhere.

....Not all that long ago it would have been considered “poor form” (or at least done under the rarest of circumstances) to add images to a member’s thread. Lately this appears to have become commonplace.....
I don't post my pictures in somebody else's thread except when: it is a theme/challenge or the OP has invited others to share their pictures as well. Now if you'd look carefully, I think you'll see that this issue doesn't happen that often that we have the situation of somebody posting without the OP's consent. But I may be wrong, of course.

... Another observation is how some individual’s image threads have become Challenges, or otherwise made open (by others) to something seemingly not the originator’s intent....
To be fair and clear about it, so far the only person who creates challenges from the posts of members is Asher (in cases where an OPF member did not start their own challenge threads directly). But I am 100% certain that he always seeks the OP's permission before doing so. For example, he has asked me my permission before turning my Clay vs Steel into a challenge the other day. He would not do it otherwise.

Having answered your questions, I may as well voice a couple of other concerns I personally have.

One thing which bothers me a lot is the fact that the "Just Sharing" prefix is almost always ignored. There is a clear cut definition of prefixes in this sticky. It says there that "the OP is not asking for C&C, but nice comments would be welcome. This is just sharing like showing what we are up to, casually!". Just take a look at the threads with this prefix and you'll see that it is widely ignored as we mostly provide full C&C to the images shown. Mind you, Asher will surely remind us that all images posted in OPF are by default open for C&C, which is true. But when one uses the "Just sharing" prefix, they are making a conscious choice which should be respected imo.

Another thing which bothers me is the way we sometimes provide C&C. We can say what we think would improve a picture within a given request from the OP for ideas -which is perfectly OK- but we cannot put our own intent and vision forward as being the absolute truth. If I am sounding a bit vague, let me try and give you a generic example. We often get into a discussion about the color of an image, whether B&W would be a better option or not. If the OP has asked this specific question, I think that the discussion is legit. But sometimes even when the OP states that he/she has done something specifically as presented with a certain intent (like indicating that the reason the picture was taken was also due to the colors of the subject), we still get carried away and try to convince him/her otherwise. You can substitute color vs B&W with other common issues such as cropping wide vs tight, frame or no frame, etc.

A corollary to the above paragraph is when the OP asks for advice, gets a lot of good/sound advice and then stubbornly ignores all of it saying that he/she knows better anyway. Or seemingly agreeing with the C&C given and then re-do the whole thing again and again. This is extremely frustrating for those who take their valuable times to provide good advice to the best of their abilities. These OPs should post their pictures using the "just sharing" prefix if they are not really looking for honest C&C they can learn from.

Cheers,

Rachel Foster

I am more than happy to abide by whatever rules are adopted and am grateful for reminders when I forget and get carried away. I do get enthusiastic and sometimes forget.

Having said that, I personally love seeing threads morph and grow. I love seeing the creative process and often think of things that would not have occurred to me otherwise. Again, I will abide by whatever rules the forum has and am not at all offended by a reminder when I err. (By the way, there is some evidence that low latent inhibition is correlated with high creativity. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...ha!)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Posting Etiquette, staying on track and dealing with Iconic pictures and treasures.

John,

Cem has answered your questions very well for me too. The hard thing is to have open discussion and honest feedback far beyond, ""Wow!" or Beautiful!" to pointers to help the poster on their own journey.

Clear style gets protected naturally: Some folk are so clear in their style and intent that I'd never post my picture there and that would be for example, Dwayne Oakes' work. Others might add a picture but say that if it's not O.K. they will remove it. Usually it's fitting and welcomed. If we recognize a diversion we try to act. A PM to one of the moderators will correct that problem.

Daughter Threads: Others stimulate argument, which while fascinating and important, veers the orignal thread off course and prevents the intent from being continued. Here we leave a forwarding note and take all the related new posts to a new thread with credit to the one who initiated, (subconsciously of course) that new topic.

Exceptional Ideas in pictures: Then there are the exceptional pictures that are so iconic for a new Theme that I realize that this should be elevated to it's own leadership position. The Theme threads are to be collections of the very best pictures with the briefest comments. That rule is obeyed but rarely, if not the sinner is usually just me.

Forgotten Treasures: There some pictures that get buried and are lost to most folk coming here. Every so often we collect related images together under one common theme but leave the original historic thread untouched. This showcases the achievements of photographers that might otherwise be lost and buried.

Just Sharing: Let me know if we don't notice, go overboard or ourselves spoil a person's thread. The "Just Sharing" came after realizing that not everyone wanted deep critique. We have not sorted out that etiquette well enough, as you point out.

Black and White v. color issue and other variations: As to color, I, myself, am probably responsible/ transgressor in many cases, suggesting consideration of B&W, but far from the only one. I almost always usually have written privately to the OPFr and requested permission. So I'll spend a while examining a picture, even make variations but not post pending a reply. I have, on file, scores of PM's that I can modify their files any time. Others who are here, and also know individuals, have that consent too or sense the same.

These variations open up new possibilities the next time we shoot such a subject. In my own comments, I usually condition my suggestions based on the original intent.

Avalanche or unrealistic posters: For folk who put themselves up as "beginners" and or "experts" but are making and stubbornly repeating real posting errors, asking a lot of questions and vacuuming up space and time, we write privately, consolidate their threads. If they continue posting the same issues but ignoring absolutely solid technical advice, we're openly clearly but courteously confrontational. If not we'd be clogged up with diversions and waste everyone's time.

If I've missed something or my answers are inadequate, feel free to chime in.

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Cem, Rachel and Asher -

Thanks so much for your input.
Cem, you have a way of expressing the "what it really is" that I so envy. And I'm also delighted you had the opportunity to vent, so to speak.

Rachel, I'm not looking for more rules. lord knows we have enough of them in life! I am simply looking to pick the brains of our many talented contributors. It saddened me to see you felt a need to apologize.
However, I apologize if my thread implied a breaking of rules or protocols.

Asher, my dear Asher - you, too have the wonderful ability to communicate a wealth of insight in a relatively small space. I thank you kindly for your thoughts and input to my question.

Asher Kelman

Cem, Rachel and Asher -

Thanks so much for your input.
Cem, you have a way of expressing the "what it really is" that I so envy. And I'm also delighted you had the opportunity to vent, so to speak.

Cem likes to be practical but he cannot help being sentimental too, working from his heart and then getting upset if someone is treated badly! He is the hardest working OPFr!

Rachel, I'm not looking for more rules. lord knows we have enough of them in life! I am simply looking to pick the brains of our many talented contributors. It saddened me to see you felt a need to apologize.
However, I apologize if my thread implied a breaking of rules or protocols.

Rachel contributes much more than she gives herself credit and tends to apologize even before throwing a tiny pebble at an image! However, that too is just another, perhaps more East Coast way of being courteous and modest.

Asher, my dear Asher - you, too have the wonderful ability to communicate a wealth of insight in a relatively small space. I thank you kindly for your thoughts and input to my question.

Now here John, we may have a problem, a real conundrum! If there's too much respect and allowance for my excesses and if I am eloquent in covering up, then my steering of our communal OPF tour bus s going to be dicey.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I think John has raised a good etiquette issue.

My brief opinion is that it is improper to post other images into a critique solicitation thread. Even though your intention may be purely constructive the effect may be that it usurps discussion of the original poster's image. I believe that a better form of offering exemplary guidance in such threads is to post a link to work you want to reference. That format minimizes the possibility that discussions will become redirected toward other works.

fahim mohammed

I too have been guilty in a few instances. Corrected my ways and guess joined the flock.

Cem, I omit adding prefixes like ' just sharing ' because of old age. I forget. Apologies.

I do consider it ' not proper etiquette' to post one's personal image into another's thread unless specifically
called for such as in ' themes'. Ken has provided an appropriate solution.

I also want to have fun, not at anybody else's expense or by being dis-respectful, but just to have
good honest fun and participate and enjoy and learn and share. Without having to feel I am in a school of fuddy duddies.

Pray, can I be excused, sirs/madams.

Rachel Foster

Only if I can as well, Fahim. Guilty here, too, and a bit embarrassed. Thank you, John, for bringing this up. It's greatly appreciated.

Asher Kelman

I think John has raised a good etiquette issue.

My brief opinion is that it is improper to post other images into a critique solicitation thread. Even though your intention may be purely constructive the effect may be that it usurps discussion of the original poster's image. I believe that a better form of offering exemplary guidance in such threads is to post a link to work you want to reference. That format minimizes the possibility that discussions will become redirected toward other works.

Ken,

Well put and easy to stipulate! I like t when there's a simple rule and solution.

Thanks,

Asher

Damien Paul

Only if I can as well, Fahim. Guilty here, too, and a bit embarrassed. Thank you, John, for bringing this up. It's greatly appreciated.

If you can have another join you as well - a bit of a whoops moment for me on several issues since joining recently - my exuberance gets a hold of me at times.

But this kind of discussion is always helpful and constructive.

Mike Shimwell

John

I agree with Ken and the consensus that posting into other people's critique threads, and likely even sharing threads, is often bad manners. It directs attention away from the OPs work.

On the other hand, the challenge and theme threads can be great celebrations of the diversity of the OPF community and how we all see.

In all these cases I hope that we tend to share pictures that we're pleased with or proud of - our best work in general - or where we genuinely want help. This not to put off the less confident, but because I know you wouldn't want me to share the entire content of my drives with you!

How do I post? Well, I rarely use the just sharing prefix because I'm glad to receive opinions good or 'constructive'. If I do use just sharing then it's likely a quick shot that I found entertaining and I am saying to the community that I wanted to share, but please don't invest too much time in this one - I know that criticism takes time.

On the other hand, I rarely use the C&C prefix. This is because I will only use that where I really need to understand others reactions and view on how to improve something because I am not seeing through the piece myself. In other words, if I use C&C I recognise that I am asking for poiepl to invest time in my work and my development and that's a big thing. Also, I am aware that I may disagree with suggestions and I don't want to gain a reputation for just ignoring well meant and carefuly constructed criticism.

As I said at the start though, I am always glad to hear people's views and suggestions if something I post seems to have enough (latent) value to them.

I've been short of time the last fwe months, but hopefully I am getting back to posting a bit more regularly again, and hopefully will be able to contribute to other people as well.

Best

Mike

Edited to add - and Fahim's right, don't forget that it should be fun!

John Angulat

pro member
Mike, Ken, Fahim, Damien and Rachel -

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on my question.
Going beyond simple replies, each of you has taken the time to not only share your opinions, but the reasons behind them.
It's very much appreciated.

Asher Kelman

Mike, Ken, Fahim, Damien and Rachel -

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on my question.
Going beyond simple replies, each of you has taken the time to not only share your opinions, but the reasons behind them.
It's very much appreciated.

I appreciate that you raised the question and that folk got to express their views. I will reread this and see if it might help me then explain and define in the purpose of each prefix better.

and while I'm at it, if anyone feels that I am heavy handed, moving things around, splitting threads and starting new ones, feel free to let me know. Chances are there's a good reason or else if I'm plain wrong, as I sometimes can be, I'll make it right!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Asher, I don't think it's a question of being too "heavy handed." Rather, I think it's more that members, new folks in particular, might not appreciate your attention to detail and overall vision. When a post is moved or otherwise edited, it's natural to feel like one might have broken some rule or done something wrong. That is often the case on other fora, in fact. I wish there were some way of letting new folks know that so they could relax......but don't quite know how to articulate that. I've learned to appreciate that you move my posts/split threads but I didn't always!