• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Suggestion

Rachel Foster

I've noticed there are few people willing to render critiques but ask for many. Other creative fora have a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 rule: For every critique a member requests, s/he must render two or three of other images.

Now, the depth and insight of critiques offered will vary according to the critic's expertise. People like me will be able to offer far less helpful feedback than will people like Ken Tanaka. Still, we need to offer what we can.

I am not suggesting we institute formal rules, but maybe some expectations.

Cem has written a wonderful guide on how to critique images here.

fahim mohammed

Rachel, your suggestion is well timed. I hesitate to give critiques because I might come across as rude and
unappreciative of the poster's efforts.

Concurrently, I am afraid I am unknowledgeable of many aspects and genre of photography. I might just
put my foot in it. So far, if something does not resonate with me..i move on without comment. Of course
I do not see all posts.

I have left this aspect to forum members ( e.g Ken ) much more capable than me in such matters.

Regards.

Rachel Foster

I understand that, Fahim, believe me I do. The problem is that we leave the bulk of the work to those talented few. I also hesitate for fear of seeming unappreciative and aware of my ignorance. But I think we have to take the plunge and give it our best shot. Isn't that how we learn?

Maybe the admin team could make suggestions how people like us can offer critiques? Some sort of guidelines or something?

Rachel,

I have read Cem's guide many times. Unfortunately, most of it is way beyond my comprehension.

I have offered a few critiques; they amount to no more than forum clutter. What's the point? I don't have the experience nor the talent for it.

I spend time here to learn. I'm far too old to ever achieving teacher-grade skills.

The guilt that accumulates from not contributing critiques keeps me down in lurker mode most of the time. I just sunk a little deeper.

Rachel Foster

Winston, the whole point of this thread is to bring these feelings out into the open and find a way to deal with them. So far, you, Fahim and I all share these feelings. Many others do, as well, I think.

So....Old, wise heads: what do you say? Help us out?

ErikJonas

Banned
its hard when you have people like Jim Collum posting...In other forums the talents not so, um, talented as those here are...What can you say about Jim's images other then 'wow"......I wont post the majority of my work as its not nearly as impressive as Jims and others...

I've looked at a lot of images posted here and how do you critique a great image...I mean there are images that are imprssive and theres nothing to critique...Many images like that here....

StuartRae

To Fahim, Rachel, Winston and all those anonymous viewers.

Please, please comment on my posts; I'd love to hear your views. I don't mind at all if you don't like my photos, just say why. Far better one constructive negative than a plethora of 'nices'.

Conversely I hate to criticise other peoples' images, much for the reasons given by Winston. I've tried for the 'one post, two comments' ratio, but it's difficult. Either my views have already been expressed by someone with more authority, or I just don't feel qualified to comment.

But what really annoys me (to put it mildly) are regular posters who ask, take and never give. Bears, soft focus landscapes and milky waterfalls and seascapes. You know who you are :)

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rachel,

I have read Cem's guide many times. Unfortunately, most of it is way beyond my comprehension.

I have offered a few critiques; they amount to no more than forum clutter. What's the point? I don't have the experience nor the talent for it.

I spend time here to learn. I'm far too old to ever achieving teacher-grade skills.

The guilt that accumulates from not contributing critiques keeps me down in lurker mode most of the time. I just sunk a little deeper.

Winston and Fahim,

You do not need knowledge as you have feelings. That's the first stage. Do you notice any reactions that you have. Any emotions that get stirred. It could be the old mans wry smile or the worker's heavy load or the girls bosoms struggling to get back into her dress or finally escape. It's that simple!

Is that car impressive? No? Then pass?

Are you impressed by the picture, that's enough.

There's no need to have more than fun at the feelings stage and we all are qualified for that. It's my fault for making people intimidated. However, I see those who have a little more experience and insight to give back what they can. Don't feel guilty as each must share according to what's comfortable.

If my detailed comments and feedback intimidate you, don't allow that. We want you to post your images. That's the main things. Still, as in a party or dinner in a home, we need to acknowledge people's presence.

I'm glad you recognize the issue, but Winston, in particular, don't let pressure for commetn drive you to be a lurker.

Asher