• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Questions About Professional Photo Websites

doug anderson

Dear Forum: How many of you have pro websites? Do you use a host like Smugmug, or is the website specifically for you? Do you do your own printing, or allow an online service to do it. Just curious.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

doug anderson

I like smugmug.

I don't have a good enough printer so I use a local place.

I mean, your commercial website, where you direct people to view your work.

I've found that the smugmug prints are not as vibrant as the digital display, even if I instruct them to print true color. What do you think?

I'm considering the special professional option on smugmug. They maintain a solid website. However they take fifteen percent of what you sell.

What do you think?

Alain Briot

pro member
Smugmug may be a good option if you don't have time to do your own printing or if you don't have printing equipment or if you want to sell photos with a minor level of involvement and efforts.

However, it would be preposterous to call it "professional quality." In fine art, which is what I assume you are referring to when you say "professional" pro quality is achieved either by working closely with a professional printer or by printing your work yourself to exacting standards.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
SmugMug

I have a Smugmug website that's been completely customized. I can turn on ordering or not, watermark images, keyword, hide galleries and images, turn off or on linking - for my purposes it's great. I have a pro account with them and the price is $150 a year. To have an event gallery with Zenfolio or several of the labs it can be as high as $50 per gallery. They are instant in customer service and have a guarantee that is wonderful. They use Kodak Endura papers and I can even select what paper and customize pricing. I can review a customer's order and then delay the order to do any post processing before it goes out to them.

The print quality has been excellent for event work where I was to upload quickly and have prints made with direct delivery to the customer. I have been very happy with the flexibility of the system - actually, I did a ton of research on print fulfillment and while I am thinking of making some changes to my site for other reasons, I will definitely be a smugmug customer as long as the quality stays where it is.

I do have a pro lab where I have an account and send my orders there for large prints on fine art papers, press print work or high end paper. Between the two I have the best of both worlds and some simplicity for me in the mix. Right now with marketing and shooting and running another business, while I have a 13x19 HP Printer, printing is lower on the list for me than getting clients in the door and creating images they will cherish.

Andrew Stannard

pro member
I think the best option is so very dependent upon the type of work you are doing. In Alain's case the quality of each print and the effort that goes into it is one of his differentiators in the market, so to have an automated print service would just not work (although correct me if I'm wrong Alain!).

If you're doing event shooting then I can see a 'all-in-one' hosting service being of great benefit, where your focus is probably swinging more towards quantity than quality of each individual print.

I've going down the route of developing my own site and whilst at the moment I'm not doing my own printing it is something I hope to move into in next year.

Alain Briot

pro member
One of the issues to consider is the print quality you want to offer to your customers. Another question is whether or not you want to offer prints you made yourself versus prints made by a lab operator or a totally automated process (some online services don't even have operators. The whole process is completed by machines).

SmugMug is basically a service that any of your customers can sign up for. Your customers could get their prints done by smugmug themselves. In fact, some probably do or will.

Therefore, the perceived quality is low. In terms of fine arts, which is what I do, Smugmug simply doesn't register on the radar.

The same holds true for portraits and weddings. The top portrait and wedding photographers do not use smugmug. They use custom labs who print to their exacting standards.

Serious photographers who want to offer high quality either print themselves or work closely with a quality lab. Eventually, offering high quality prints requires a high level of involvement.

Finally, in regards to sales serious money goes to serious people.

Yeah right, we have seen that in the past few weeks in abundance!

;)

Hi Alain,

the book I sent from Prof. Mante came back to me, something about your adress was not accepted, I'll get back to you on that when I returned from Canada!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Alain,

This could some up a lot of your insight and drivng force and it applies to nearly all jobs and goals. "Serious money goes to serious people!" Exclamation added!

A good statement to keep posted above one's desk!

Asher

Mike Bailey

pro member
Doug,

Of course it varies from person to person and the type of work being done and the result desired, but as a full-time nature and landscape photographer, I maintain my own web site and take all orders directly.

For my purposes, I couldn't possibly farm out printing. To me a print is as much a part of the process as taking the photograph and is an integral part of the art. Enough art photographers are willing to let third parties into their print process, i.e. have someone else do the print, and I have friends, full-time landscape photographers who do, so this isn't necessarily a criticism of those who do. However, to me, my work and results would be seriously compromised it it wasn't mine all the way through as it wouldn't be entirely by my hand.

That said, a little bit of flexibility in attitude is needed, though, because Canon and Epson have their hand in it in a pretty intimate manner!

Mike

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Type of Photography

Many of the wedding photographers are a part of Pictage. Pictage uses the same lab as SmugMug. It would be impossible to do fulfillment for some of this photography - same as school photographers.

For fine art, of course you would not use those labs but for mass generation the only way is to have a volume printing source. Just like you wouldn't necessarily answer your own phone, you'd hire a secretary (admin assistant), in order to make money in any business venture you need help to be successful.

Alain Briot

pro member
Alain,

This could some up a lot of your insight and drivng force and it applies to nearly all jobs and goals. "Serious money goes to serious people!" Exclamation added!

A good statement to keep posted above one's desk!

Asher

Hi Asher,

Thank you. Yes, I consider this a very important statement. I meet too many people who think that making a good income doing something they saw someone else succeed at is easy. The way I look at it, nothing that you want to do as well as possible is easy.

The bottom line is that being successful and making a strong income for extended periods of time is not easy. This is true regardless of the actual endeavor or profession. It's just too common, and I agree tempting at times, to think that doing x, z or y (replace x, z, y by your current dream income activity if you have one) is easy and will bring wealth for very little effort.

I regularly think that doing x, z or y will bring easy money. This usually takes place when I'm watching tv or when I'm listening to someone tell me how easy it was for them to succeed, stories that are usually both over exagerated and over simplified. Then I think about how hard it is to do what I know how to do and I realize how hard it is going to be to do something I have no idea how to do! This has become such a common thought pattern for me that it takes place in a matter of seconds at this point. I then go back to what I was doing and give up on trying to do what others do. I'd rather stick to doing something that I understand and that I love doing than try to do something I don't care for and don't understand only for financial gain.

Anything you want to do well is difficult and requires a high level of commitment and , yes, a serious approach :) One has to be highly motivated, one needs to overcome adversity and one needs to remain competitive. Success happens for specific reasons. These reasons are hard work, long hours and having a specific plan of action. All three reasons are necessary. Having just one or two is not enough because you will be competing against people that have all three pinned down to a science.

If this wasn't so, everyone would be successful. The fact is that success is uncommon. The reason why many of us find successful people fascinating comes from the uncommoness of success.

For each success story there are 100's of failure stories. Successful people all have unsuccessful pasts. I failed more often than I succeeded. What made us successful is that we were able to build a bridge, get over our failures and move on. Only then does the road to success open up.

The difference between an unsuccessful and a successful person is that the former stopped at failure while the later looked for ways to succeed. No one starts with success. We all work our way towards success.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So what are folks serious solutions to online pro hosting services for print showing and ordering as well as retouching?

Asher