• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Girbaud Reinvents Photography to Save Water!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am amazed how much water is used to process perfectly good jeans to make them appear old. Even stone-washed jeans use millions of liters of water to batter the fabric to become worn and body-fashion friendly.

I am impressed even by companies that use "green" and other environmentally correct buzz words as long as they do indeed help conserve our precious resources.

The French company Girbaud has taken to changing the colors and ripping patterns by use of special lasers directly on the cloth. Now the carbon footprint of this has not been admitted to but it must be considerable. But then the carbon footprint of pumping and filtering all that water and running the tumbling machines with rocks is no longer present, so we may yet be ahead.

Screen shot 2010-05-27 at 9.02.41 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2010-05-27 at 9.02.57 PM.jpg

See the video here. A bit self-righteous, perhaps, but for sure it's photography, writing with light!

Asher