• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Church in Húsavík

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Húsavíkurkirkja seen from the harbour. More images at The Church in Húsavík.

husavik-church.jpg

I really like that image Rajan, and also other on your internet site. Your use of the lens is very impressive and makes me wish for one. What also impressed me on your site is the natural looking colours of the landscapes. The curving Icelandic bay is a gorgeous photo.
Cheers
Mike

Doug Kerr

Hi, Rajan,

Húsavíkurkirkja seen from the harbour. More images at The Church in Húsavík.

husavik-church.jpg
A lovely image, as are the other two on your site.

The second one there is a wonderful example of the use of the Canon TS-E 17mm.

Thanks for the link to the interesting review of the lens.

One phrase there bothers me a little:

"This is very nearly a rectilinear fisheye lens . . ."

Although lenses considered "fisheye" can have any of several mapping functions ("projections"), rectilinear is (by definition) not one of them.

I guess it is just a metaphor.

Best regards,

Doug

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Thank you for your remarks, Michael and Doug.

Doug - Lloyd Chambers is a meticulous reviewer and his reviews have been quite useful to me in my choice of lenses. You are perhaps right, he must not mean that literally.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Rajan,

Doug - Lloyd Chambers is a meticulous reviewer and his reviews have been quite useful to me in my choice of lenses. You are perhaps right, he must not mean that literally.
I think what we can say is that the TS-E 17mm is an (essentially) rectilinear lens with an (angular) field of view about half that of a fisheye lens.

As I understand it, its (diagonal) field of view on a full-frame 35-mm format camera is 93°. More-or-less by definition, a fisheye lens has a field of view of nominally 180°.

As I understand it, the field of view of the TS-E 17mm, with respect to its entire image circle, is 121°. That results from the size of its image circle, which is of itself certainly important, as it is one key to the lens' shift capability.

But at any given shift setting, assuming a full-frame 35-mm format body, the field of view is only 93°.

Best regards,

Doug