Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Image Processing and Workflow

Image Processing and Workflow RAW, DNG , TIFF and JPG. From Capture to Ready for Publish/Display. All software and techniques used within an image workflow, (except extensive retouching and repair or DAM).

Old February 27th, 2010, 06:27 AM

Default HDR Software

It's strange that Cem posts a thread about HDR software just as I'm about to post this!

I've put together some examples of different HDR software and tone-mapping methods, which you can view here

Any problems or errors please let me know.

Regards,

Stuart

Last edited by StuartRae; February 27th, 2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: change link
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartRae View Post
It's strange that Cem posts a thread about HDR software just as I'm about to post this!

I've put together some examples of different HDR software and tone-mapping methods, which you can view http://www.lakelandphotography.net/OPF/HDR/

Regards,
Stuart
Hi Stuart,

It was Bart actually, not me, who started the HDR discussion here. :-)
Thanks for posting this comparison, I'll get back to you after the due study it deserves.

Cheers,

flickr
website

Last edited by Cem_Usakligil; February 27th, 2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:15 AM
pro member

Quote:

I've put together some examples of different HDR software and tone-mapping methods, which you can view here

Hi Stuart,

A small correction of:
Quote:
Photomatix Tone Mappinhg

The Tone Mapping plugin from Photomatix only works on 16-bit images.
The Tonemapping plugin also works on 32 bit/channel images (and also on 8-b/ch images if the mode is first changed to 16-b/ch, but with less useful data to play with). It has also been updated to version 2.0.

Other programs to keep an eye on are:
Picturenaut 3.0, a blazingly fast global tonemapper, and it's free.
and
HDR Photostudio 2.0, which has a good colormodel based on human vision, but the tonemapping needs more work IMHO.

Cheers,
Bart
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
A small correction.......
Thanks Bart. I'll make the necessary corrections.

And thanks also for the links to other s/w.

Regards,

Stuart
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:36 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_van_der_Wolf View Post

Other programs to keep an eye on are:
[URL="http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/index.html"][U][COLOR="blue"]Picturenaut
Picturenaught seems a well developed platform with a group of guys who've made a developers kit so it will grow with new capabilities. However, I couldn't find a reference to what OS platform it works with.

As a bonus for vsiting the website, one finds a "News" section which covers HDR processors and gear outside of the Picturenaught world too.

Thanks for the link, but is t Mac savvy?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:51 AM
pro member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Thanks for the link, but is t Mac savvy?
Nope, Windows, but I assume it runs under parallels. Would be nice to hear if somebody could test it.

Cheers,
Bart
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:49 PM

I had hoped, but not really expected, that there might be some interest in the link I posted. Not to worry, it's only my time that I wasted, and I have plenty of that.
Even so It's time I moved on, so I'll wish you all the very best.

Regards,

Stuart
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I had hoped, but not really expected, that there might be some interest in the link I posted. Not to worry, it's only my time that I wasted, and I have plenty of that.

Regards,

Stuart
Nay, nay Stuart!
I for one found it quite informative.
I have only used Photomatix and was unfamiliar with alternatives.
Your info was very helpful! Thank you!
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Regards,

Stuart
Stuart,

This is such a major work you have done that it takes time to go through everything. I've been looking at things, looking up software and at the same time preparing thousands of pictures for 5 different shoots. There is digestion time for some things. Also when the forum is a little slow, answers come but one needs to trust. Still, your post has had 60 visits here. Can you tell how many folk visited your site to read the comparison of HDR software? A lot of people read but few write, especially if they don't want to appear ignorant. There were no responses to my Vertical Portraits post, here for days! Have faith! Your work is so appreciated!

I'm still going through your comparison. Don't be disheartened!

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:08 AM

Hi Stuart

I've never been that interested in trying HDR software (I'm always reluctant to try new software as I have little time for the learning curve involved) but found the information that you provided has made me want to try.....

So your post and the easy to understand information/comparison shots on your website has been valuable to me - thank you!

BTW I always enjoy your witty posts!
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:35 AM

Hi Stuart,

I now return having spend enough time on your extensive review to see the wide spectrum of choices by which one can bring out the richness of captured tones and details that are currently not exploited enough. I see a danger in over using these techniques, but no more so than any other tool in photography. The key, in my mind is to only use the effect to the extent one has to have that effect for a particular element in the picture, preferably in a new layer that can be masked to one's exact needs.

I'd love to have a set of copies of the conversions from the first program, media chance to look at in detail. Perhaps you might post large versions here.

Asher

Old March 4th, 2010, 12:27 PM

Hello again.

Thanks and apologies to all who posted replies. I was having a grumpy fit, and I love you all (in a platonic sort of way of course).

I moved on, but my metaphorical knees didn't allow me to get too far, and I just about made it back. A bit like my son, who would regularly run away from home but not get any further than the end of the drive in case he got lost.

More importantly, I need to ask Bart a question, of which more later when I've gathered the evidence.

Regards,

Stuart
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I was having a grumpy fit, and I love you all (in a platonic sort of way of course).

I moved on, but my metaphorical knees didn't allow me to get too far, and I just about made it back. A bit like my son, who would regularly run away from home but not get any further than the end of the drive in case he got lost
Hi Stuart

I'm glad you made it back from the end of the drive LOL- you always make me laugh!
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:16 PM
pro member

Quote:
Hello again.

Thanks and apologies to all who posted replies. I was having a grumpy fit, and I love you all (in a platonic sort of way of course).
Hi Stuart,

The feelings are mutual ;-).

Quote:
More importantly, I need to ask Bart a question, of which more later when I've gathered the evidence.
Sure, whenever you're ready.

Cheers,
Bart
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Hello again.
Stuart
Ahhh...ain't love grand!
And for what it's worth, I too spend a lot of time heading to the end of the driveway...
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Angulat View Post
Quote:
Hello again.

I moved on, but my metaphorical knees didn't allow me to get too far, and I just about made it back. A bit like my son, who would regularly run away from home but not get any further than the end of the drive in case he got lost.
Ahhh...ain't love grand!
And for what it's worth, I too spend a lot of time heading to the end of the driveway...
+1...been there, done that, came back many times. It also helps knowing that you'll always be welcomed back :-)

Cheers,

flickr
website