• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What Language Is This?

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Hi Folks,
I know that we have some members in various Asian regions and I'm hoping one might be able to help.

The image below is a detail from an aerial view of some snow graffiti. What's striking about it is its apparent mixed language, and mixed symbolism, construction. To me it reads "I Love (heart) You (U) _____", with a name written in an Asian language.

My questions are: (1) Is this actually a name and, if so, what would be an approximate phonetic English equivalent, and (2) What language is this? It looks like Korean to me.

Thanks for your help!

122957962.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Ken,

This is intriguing. I know nothing about Korean but I am curious ;-). So I looked up their alphabet, which seems to be Hangul, consisting of Jamo (individual units). If my assumptions are correct so far, this would translate something like: ssaeng yeong. Or I may be 300,000,000 miles off the target, lol.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The nearest I'd hazard a guess was simplified Chines characters for "I love you" as the beginning and the end match.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Thanks very much for your knowledge and research on this little puzzle. I spotted this message carved into the shallow park snow cover after winter's last blast this past weekend here in Chicago.