• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Off camera flash and umbrella

Antonio Correia

Would you please be so kind as to drop me a line about these pictures I shot yesterday with 430 EX and umbrella ?
It was the first time I was using the umbrella. :)
I can say that the umbrella shouldn't be at my right but at my left to begin with.
I have used aperture priority increasing the ISO when the light was not enought to handhold the camera.
I don't know why the photos seem a little orange/red. I know that there was some incandescent light in the room.
I must try again in a different way.
This has nothing to do with Brent's work. His work is super and mine is just beginning. :)
179485862-S.jpg
179486220-S.jpg

Matt Suess

pro member
Would you please be so kind as to drop me a line about these pictures I shot yesterday with 430 EX and umbrella ?...I don't know why the photos seem a little orange/red. I know that there was some incandescent light in the room.

Antonio,

Couple things seem wrong - first your white balance doesn't seem to be set correctly. Secondly it appears that the flash didn't provide enough light for the child. Looks like you needed about 2/3 stops more light on the child.

Try shooting in manual mode - on the camera and on the flash. That will give you the best control. Your camera, in automatic mode, probably got fooled by the bright window light, and then didn't throw enough light to your subject.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I can say that the umbrella shouldn't be at my right but at my left to begin with.

Which left? Your shooting left or sitting left, if that's you??

I have used aperture priority increasing the ISO when the light was not enought to handhold the camera.
I don't know why the photos seem a little orange/red. I know that there was some incandescent light in the room.

It might just be that the 430 EX is just not powerful enough to overcome the incadescent light. Why not replace it with a daylight temp bulb to match more closely your electronic flash?

Else I'd use a 550 EX or a 580EX or a Metz etc.

One other easy option is to move the shot nearer the window so at least more of the light comes from heaven! It's good to have that light on your side as you have yourself shown many times. Also bring the flash closer. Is the ceiling unwhite like a yellow color?

I'd first show there's enough light just from the mid-stength Eos Speedlight 430 EX flash withoutany modifier.

This has nothing to do with Brent's work. His work is super and mine is just beginning. :)
Why would you think we would mix them up? Have I missed another reference somewhere?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Antonio,
Couple things seem wrong - first your white balance doesn't seem to be set correctly. Secondly it appears that the flash didn't provide enough light for the child. Looks like you needed about 2/3 stops more light on the child.
Try shooting in manual mode - on the camera and on the flash. That will give you the best control. Your camera, in automatic mode, probably got fooled by the bright window light, and then didn't throw enough light to your subject.

Thank you Matt.
I was shooting in Aperture priority and I will place the flash on the oposite side of the window, next time.
I need someone to get around with the flash just behind me, as the baby moves in the room freely.
Cheers :)

Antonio Correia

Which left? Your shooting left or sitting left, if that's you??...
I am not in the picture. I am shooting. I'm older than that. :)

...It might just be that the 430 EX is just not powerful enough to overcome the incadescent light. Why not replace it with a daylight temp bulb to match more closely your electronic flash? Else I'd use a 550 EX or a 580EX or a Metz etc.
One other easy option is to move the shot nearer the window so at least more of the light comes from heaven! It's good to have that light on your side as you have yourself shown many times. Also bring the flash closer. Is the ceiling unwhite like a yellow color? ...
The ceiling is white - I suppose - but the wall are yellowish, or very light yellow.
I have indeed to take the flash closer

...Why would you think we would mix them up? Have I missed another reference somewhere? Asher
Brent's work is some kind of reference to me because I like it.

Thank you Asher.
Cheers :)