• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

American Bittern

Doug Herr

I found a few very accommodating American Bitterns at the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area, Yolo County California. This is ordinarily a very secretive bird but for a few weeks each spring they're more willing to appear in the open.

ambitt08.jpg

ambitt09.jpg

ambitt10.jpg

ambitt11.jpg

ambitt12.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug this is a most beautiful series showing this "private" birds eating behavior. How long did you have to wait?

Did you locate the site one day and then return to sit it out, or did this sighting just happen and you immediately froze and then held your camera, snapping at intervals?

Asher

Doug Herr

Doug this is a most beautiful series showing this "private" birds eating behavior. How long did you have to wait?

Did you locate the site one day and then return to sit it out, or did this sighting just happen and you immediately froze and then held your camera, snapping at intervals?

Asher

Apparently the bitterns are somewhat less elusive in the spring. I found this location and noticed the birds' accessibility last year but was not prepared for photos. I visited again this year on nearly the same date and found the birds to be as accommodating as the previous year. I waited quietly using my truck as a blind. As long as I stay inside the truck I can move it occasionally to get closer.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Damn! Foiled again.
Here I was expecting another American (I'm assuming USA and not the entire continent) savaged by a wild dog at least. Seeing Donald's waving hands mangled by the mandibles of a mastif would see me no end of pleasure.
Instead I find a quaint ares who can't tell the difference between a truck and a clump of bushes. No wonder it's rare and secretive. I'd be hiding from possible predator if I had such eyesight that can't distinguish between habitat and a Hyundai. (Sorry, Dougy, Ford didn't illiterate sufficiently)

I didn't know you were a birdwatcher as well. In my book, an engineer with bird stalking as a pass time places you high on the nerd scale, a respectable place to occupy no less.

Cheers
Ps. Nice shots.

Doug Herr

Damn! Foiled again.
Here I was expecting another American (I'm assuming USA and not the entire continent) savaged by a wild dog at least. Seeing Donald's waving hands mangled by the mandibles of a mastif would see me no end of pleasure.
Instead I find a quaint ares who can't tell the difference between a truck and a clump of bushes. No wonder it's rare and secretive. I'd be hiding from possible predator if I had such eyesight that can't distinguish between habitat and a Hyundai. (Sorry, Dougy, Ford didn't illiterate sufficiently)

I didn't know you were a birdwatcher as well. In my book, an engineer with bird stalking as a pass time places you high on the nerd scale, a respectable place to occupy no less.

Cheers
Ps. Nice shots.

Hi Tom! It's actually a Dodge truck, but your vision of the mangled waving hands would suit me just fine (but enough of politics).

greentruck.jpg

Are you thinking of Doug Kerr? My name is spelled a little differently and I'm now an ex-engineer having retired a couple of years ago.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi Tom! It's actually a Dodge truck, but your vision of the mangled waving hands would suit me just fine (but enough of politics).

Are you thinking of Doug Kerr? My name is spelled a little differently and I'm now an ex-engineer having retired a couple of years ago.

I'm confused again.
Who's who?
Here I am wallowing in the dim light as viewed through inflexible, light diffusing pearls that were once known as lenses and you sting me with Herr and Kerr.

I'm going to pretend you are one in the same. It's easier that way; for me.

Nice truck, Dougy (that generic for anyone on the site called Doug). Who makes Dodge? Is that GM?
Green is good for such stalking although it still might take a really stupid bird to not notice or mistake it for something natural.

Ono another note, I wonder how and when an engineer becomes an ex? Is there some sort of extraction process? Does one forget everything? Electro shock therapy perhaps.

Dave Butcher

I found a few very accommodating American Bitterns at the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area, Yolo County California. This is ordinarily a very secretive bird but for a few weeks each spring they're more willing to appear in the open.

ambitt08.jpg

ambitt09.jpg

ambitt10.jpg

ambitt11.jpg

ambitt12.jpg

Hey Doug this is a fantastic series of photos of a great and beautiful bird. Thank you for sharing with us.