• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Download Climate Change Report awaiting Trump's "Signature"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher

I am currently involved in numerous ongoing projects with tight schedules. I have a difficult time getting past your bullet points. I am not much interested in the past or looking out many years into the future. I just don't have the time.

But In a fraction of the time you spent arguing against this report, you could have at least got through 1/2 of it! But if you don't have the patience, I accept that! Not everyone can be bothered to read technical papers about stuff that doesn't effect them. You are not at fault there.

That's fine by itself. Trump doesn't read things either.

But then you both have no business rejecting this report, until you, (or your minions, if you have them), do find the time to read it, at least once!

BTW are you folks in California still dumping your poop into the ocean? Just curious.

You're a bit late to raise the subject, I'm afraid. Routinely, it's practically all converted to methane for fuel; but the mayor follows you and admits you really earned it, sorry!

Asher

James Lemon

But In a fraction of the time you spent arguing against this report, you could have at least got through 1/2 of it! But if you don't have the patience, I accept that! Not everyone can be bothered to read technical papers about stuff that doesn't effect them. You are not at fault there.

That's fine by itself. Trump doesn't read things either.

But then you both have no business rejecting this report, until you, (or your minions, if you have them), do find the time to read it, at least once!

You're a bit late to raise the subject, I'm afraid. Routinely, it's practically all converted to methane for fuel; but the mayor follows you and admits you really earned it, sorry!

Asher

Asher

I did not know that the state of California had a Mayor? I am surprised that you solved your raw sewage problem so quickly."At present, in Southern California, our swimmers get exposed to raw sewage with risks of severe consequences" this is what you told me only a few week ago in another thread. You also mentioned this "We have problems on our beaches from the overflow discharge of raw sewage along the Pacific Coast. How does Canada deal with this health threat?"

""A group of prominent US climate experts have told a Congressional committee hearing that climate science is dysfunctional, beset by bias and groupthink, and is using a profoundly unscientific approach. Speaking before the U.S. House Committee on Science, Space and Technology, Professor John Christy told representatives that “consensus science”, as practiced by much of mainstream climatology, was “not science” at all, while Professor Judith Curry explained that “self-deception” had got the better of far too many climatologists"

James

Asher Kelman

Asher

I did not know that the state of California had a Mayor?

That's what happens when you don't read, not even what you wrote. Here it is the cities that have responsibility for the sewage you are obsessed with. Cities are governed by mayors.

Now to the main writing you conjured up:

"A group of prominent US climate experts have told a Congressional committee hearing that climate science is dysfunctional, beset by bias and groupthink, and is using a profoundly unscientific approach. Speaking before the U.S. House Committee on Science, Space and Technology, Professor John Christy told representatives that “consensus science”, as practiced by much of mainstream climatology, was “not science” at all, while Professor Judith Curry explained that “self-deception” had got the better of far too many climatologists"

James

So, once again, like your standard bearer, you claim "you have no time to read", but you do consume such unsourced, unreferenced climate-denier poop as if it were mother's milk.

It is a vacuous approach.

As long as you cannot quote from the document this thread is about, please do not comment further using such unrelated "denial-talking points". This is not the place for it and it is outside the TOS.

I have been very patient, but you obviously cannot focus on the topic, which is the details and analysis and worth of the science in the report I linked to. Either you debate on that or not at all for this thread! So please have the courtesy to not post on this topic as you are not prepared to engage in the matter! When you have read the report and have something related to discuss, send me a PM and then I will devote my attention to your findings and reply to you, taking time to read everything you have labored to understand and respond to. Until then, you cannot post in this thread. So don't!

Asher

James Lemon

That's what happens when you don't read, not even what you wrote. Here it is the cities that have responsibility for the sewage you are obsessed with. Cities are governed by mayors.

Now to the main writing you conjured up:

So, once again, like your standard bearer, you claim "you have no time to read", but you do consume such unsourced, unreferenced climate-denier poop as if it were mother's milk.

It is a vacuous approach.

As long as you cannot quote from the document this thread is about, please do not comment further using such unrelated "denial-talking points". This is not the place for it and it is outside the TOS.

I have been very patient, but you obviously cannot focus on the topic, which is science. Either you debate on that or not at all for this thread! So please have the courtesy to not post on this topic as you are not prepared to engage in the matter! When you have read the report and have something related to discuss, send me a PM and then I will devote my attention to your findings and reply to you, taking time to read everything you have labored to understand and respond to. Until then, you cannot post in this thread.

Asher

Asher

That is just fine with me . I am not interested in your quasi religion anyway thanks but know thanks. Don't drink too much of the Kool -Aid!

James

Asher Kelman

Asher

That is just fine with me . I am not interested in your quasi religion thanks but know thanks. Don't drink too much of the Kool -Aid!

James

Great! Just to point out a fact. I did not, myself support the report. As a guess, given the writers, likely as not it carries weight and significance to global man-made climate change imminently threatening the planet, but of no existential threat in your own lifetime.

But you assume that I represent the report in some way! In that you are gravely mistaken.

I just say it is very important to read critically. It represents the serious work of many thousands of well-trained scientists and critically-reviewed research papers. It is a a large work that requires attention and patience enough to examine and give thoughtful and critical attention to. That I intend to do. I will comment on it when I get through it, but until then, don't ascribe to me any dogmatic associations with a report that neither of us has completely studied.

There will be scholarly piercingly sharp critical reviews from major academic centers once teams of scientists have themselves checked out the meta-analyses and the strength and significance of this, perhaps one of the largest aggregations of scientific data ever performed in human history. I look forward to such reports as we need all the fact checking we can muster.

Rolling one's eyes to the heavens and getting a reassuring pat on the back by your priest, does not make up for the hard work of facing up to actual knowledge and discovery, argument and only then coming to definitive conclusions.

I am glad that you agreed to exit the discussion. Thanks!

Your eye is still excellent and you camera refined. Do that and you cannot get into trouble!

Asher

James Lemon

Great! Just to point out a fact. I did not, myself support the report. As a guess, given the writers, likely as not it carries weight and significance to global man-made climate change imminently threatening the planet, but of no existential threat in your own lifetime.

Asher

Making temperature predictions far into the future is nothing more than mere speculation.

James

Asher Kelman

James,

You agreed to exit the discussion! As you are not qualifying yourself by reading the referenced article, but simply dismissed it, don't pretend to discuss what you have not looked at.

It's a free society. You choose to read what you like. This thread is for those who have no aversion to doing that! It's not at all complicated. Send me a PM once you have read the article and have comments.

Please observe the rules.

Asher

James Lemon

DRAFT: DO NOT CITE, QUOTE, OR DISTRIBUTE Executive Summary
1 U.S. GLOBAL CHANGE RESEARCH PROGRAM
2 CLIMATE SCIENCE SPECIAL REPORT (CSSR)
3 Executive Summary
4 Introduction
5 New observations and new research have increased scientists’ understanding of past, current,
6 and future climate change since the Third U.S. National Climate Assessment (NCA3) was
7 published in May 2014. This Climate Science Special Report (CSSR) is designed to capture
8 that new information, build on the existing body of science, and summarize the current state
9 of knowledge.
10 Predicting how climate will change in future decades is a different scientific issue from
11 predicting weather a few weeks from now. Weather is what is happening in the atmosphere in
12 a given location at a particular time—temperature, humidity, winds, clouds, and precipitation.
13 Climate consists of the patterns exhibited by the weather—the averages and extremes of the
14 indicated weather phenomena and how those averages and extremes vary from month to
15 month over the course of a typical year—as observed over a period of decades. One can
16 sensibly speak of the climate of a specific location (for example, Chicago) or a region (for
17 example, the Midwest). Climate change means that these weather patterns—the averages and
18 extremes and their timing—are shifting in consistent directions from decade to decade.
19 The world has warmed (globally and annually averaged surface air temperature) by about
20 1.6°F (0.9°C) over the last 150 years (1865–2015), and the spatial and temporal non-
21 uniformity of the warming has triggered many other changes to the Earth’s climate. Evidence
22 for a changing climate abounds, from the top of the atmosphere to the depths of the oceans.
23 Thousands of studies conducted by tens of thousands of scientists around the world have
24 documented changes in surface, atmospheric, and oceanic temperatures; melting glaciers;
25 disappearing snow cover; shrinking sea ice; rising sea level; and an increase in atmospheric
26 water vapor. Many lines of evidence demonstrate that human activities, especially emissions
27 of greenhouse (heat-trapping) gases, are primarily responsible for recent observed climate
28 changes.
29 The last few years have also seen record-breaking, climate-related, weather extremes, as well
30 as the warmest years on record for the globe. Periodically taking stock of the current state of
31 knowledge about climate change and putting new weather extremes into context ensures that
32 rigorous, scientifically based information is available to inform dialogue and decisions at
33 every level.
34 Most of this special report is intended for those who have a technical background in climate
35 science and is also designed to provide input to the authors of the Fourth U.S. National
36 Climate Assessment (NCA4). In this executive summary, green boxes present highlights of
37 the main report followed by related bullet points and selected figures covering more scientific

Asher

I do not need to read any report that suggests that we can somehow predict long term future climate conditions based on past patterns to know that this is nonsense, and a waist of good resources.

I will not waist anymore of my time on this subject.

James

Asher Kelman

Asher

I do not need to read any report that suggests that we can somehow predict long term future climate conditions based on past patterns to know that this is nonsense, and a waist of good resources.

I will not waist anymore of my time on this subject.

James

This is a perfect summation of the clarity of opposition arguments.

Let's close the thread with the balanced view of Michael Stone in this quote,

"Over the years, there have been many examples of Doomsday scenarios promoted by scientists and advocacy groups, with support from government and industry. I remember previous scenarios that the world's oil supply would be used up by now, famine would wipe out large populations in Africa, AIDS would do the same in Africa and beyond, computers would crash and havoc would ensue because of the millennium bug. Most of these scenarios did not happen because of the use of good science for purposes of remediation. It bothers me that we now have climate change deniers that dismiss science they do not understand for reasons I do not understand. "

........[my added 8 dots], as I remember, there were few such deniers for preceding doomsday scenarios. "

In my judgement, for much of the religious right, (at least in the USA), "Climate change science" is a pure bred sibling to "believing" in evolution, and not only is anti-business, but also an ununseeming smack in the face of God, the supreme being. "Look-it, fools, he created the entire place!

Obviously, he'll never cease to protect us, no matter what; and that's a fact!

It doesn't explain the cynicism of climate deniers from Canada, but with the hoards over here, those in Canada are merely "budget dust"!

Asher

Status
Not open for further replies.