• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The death of a friend

Doug Kerr

Yesterday (2011.09.24) we had the sad duty of attending the funeral of our good friend Dan Greene, who died at the age of 79.

We had met Dan and his charming and capable wife Charletta at a social dance club in Dallas, and we socialized with them often. A favorite joint outing was to concerts of the Dallas Wind Symphony.

Dan's first two careers were with the United States military, first with the US Navy (he served in the Korean theater) and then, after his retirement from the Navy, for many years with the US Air Force (he served in Vietnam). He retired with the rank of Chief Master Sergeant.

After his retirement from the Air Force, he earned a degree in Construction Management, and went to work for the City of Dallas, which was at the time embarking on an ambitious program of building and park construction.

He became a Resident Construction Superintendent under a new system of project management introduced by the City, in which a single person was "embedded" in major construction projects with responsibility for overall management of the activity. For us, his masterwork was the Myerson Symphony Center, one of the world's great concert halls, built under his supervision.

During his civilian life, Dan decided that his aviation career had lacked one element, and he took up recreational skydiving. On his second solo dive, the chute (packed by someone else) malfunctioned and did not open. He said it gave him a new understanding of the ballistician's concept of "terminal velocity".

But he survived, and after an arduous recovery returned to normal life. He had to walk with a cane, but he points out that this was not always a bad thing, as was discovered by a young thug who attempted to mug him while he was traveling.

Dan was interested in many fields, had an encyclopedic memory, and was quite a poet and a consummate storyteller. He was an award-winning collector of edged weapons (swords and such). He had a heart of gold, and would help anyone. But he did not suffer fools gladly.

Dan was interred with military honors at Restland Memorial Park in Dallas. At his widow's request, I covered it fairly thoroughly (!). This is one of my favorite shots, as a young Senior Airman from the honor guard presents the folded flag to Dan's widow, Charletta. (Charletta later commented that Dan would have required it to be redone, as the stars were not properly aligned.)

Dan_F28685-01B_R700.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: In the name of the President . . .
full metadata​

Alongside Charletta are their son and daughter; to our right are three nieces (one's face hidden). The redhead (far r.) shoots an EOS 5D Mark II in her photographic practice.

We shall miss Dan Greene very much.

Best regards,

Doug

StuartRae

Hi Doug,

A sad loss. He appears to have been a man that anyone would be proud to call a friend.

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yesterday (2011.09.24) we had the sad duty of attending the funeral of our good friend Dan Greene, who died at the age of 79.

Even people we have never known move us when we hear their obituary.

ANTONY
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Caesar. The noble Brutus
Hath told you Caesar was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Caesar answer'd it.
Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest--
For Brutus is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men--
Come I to speak in Caesar's funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honourable man.
He hath brought many captives home to Rome
Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Caesar seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Caesar hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honourable man.
You all did see that on the Lupercal
I thrice presented him a kingly crown,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what Brutus spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love him once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for him?
O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause till it come back to me.

Same with your loving description of Dan. We immediately connect.

We had met Dan and his charming and capable wife Charletta at a social dance club in Dallas, and we socialized with them often. A favorite joint outing was to concerts of the Dallas Wind Symphony.

Dan's first two careers were with the United States military, first with the US Navy (he served in the Korean theater) and then, after his retirement from the Navy, for many years with the US Air Force (he served in Vietnam). He retired with the rank of Chief Master Sergeant.

After his retirement from the Air Force, he earned a degree in Construction Management, and went to work for the City of Dallas, which was at the time embarking on an ambitious program of building and park construction.

He became a Resident Construction Superintendent under a new system of project management introduced by the City, in which a single person was "embedded" in major construction projects with responsibility for overall management of the activity. For us, his masterwork was the Myerson Symphony Center, one of the world's great concert halls, built under his supervision.

During his civilian life, Dan decided that his aviation career had lacked one element, and he took up recreational skydiving. On his second solo dive, the chute (packed by someone else) malfunctioned and did not open. He said it gave him a new understanding of the ballistician's concept of "terminal velocity".

But he survived, and after an arduous recovery returned to normal life. He had to walk with a cane, but he points out that this was not always a bad thing, as was discovered by a young thug who attempted to mug him while he was traveling.

His was a full life that affected a lot of people near and far, like Caesar himself.

Dan was interested in many fields, had an encyclopedic memory, and was quite a poet and a consummate storyteller.

This is the part that is an especially large loss to people. I have no doubt that in the future, brains will be read and one could interview them.

Dan was interred with military honors at Restland Memorial Park in Dallas. At his widow's request, I covered it fairly thoroughly (!). This is one of my favorite shots, as a young Senior Airman from the honor guard presents the folded flag to Dan's widow, Charletta. (Charletta later commented that Dan would have required it to be redone, as the stars were not properly aligned.)

Dan_F28685-01B_R700.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: In the name of the President . . .
full metadata​

Alongside Charletta are their son and daughter; to our right are three nieces (one's face hidden). The redhead (far r.) shoots an EOS 5D Mark II in her photographic practice.

We shall miss Dan Greene very much.

Doug,

You've memorialized him well.

May his soul rest in peace and I wish you and you family a long and fulfilled life for yourselves and the community.

Asher

Last edited:

Tracy Lebenzon

I'm sorry for the loss. The passing of someone close is painful in a profound way. Your friend left quite a legacy, and clearly had a very good friend in you.

Tracy

Mike Shimwell

Doug

Thank you for sharing your friendship with us all. Your portrait is wonderfully evocative.

I have to ask though, did Dan ever take a third solo skydive?

Mike

Doug Kerr

Hi, Mike,

Thank you for sharing your friendship with us all. Your portrait is wonderfully evocative.

I have to ask though, did Dan ever take a third solo skydive?

No, I think his physical condition after "recovery" from the second one would have precluded that!

Best regards,

Doug