• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Aurora Borealis and Star trails

26812389252_35391a93bd_b.jpg

26884615042_1efd9f085d_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Aurora is beautiful. But the star trail, how did you do it. First do you have to "get out of Dodge" to have skies that are not light polluted and then what settings work well for you. I could look at the EXIF but am using my iPhone

Asher

The Aurora is beautiful. But the star trail, how did you do it. First do you have to "get out of Dodge" to have skies that are not light polluted and then what settings work well for you. I could look at the EXIF but am using my iPhone

Asher

Thanks!
You don't have to go too far just depends on what kind of foreground you want and how cloudy it is. I was near the Canadian border in Warroad, Minnesota which has some very dark skies.

This is a composite of 85 images stacked in PS.

Nikon Df
28mm f2.8 ais
30 seconds
f2.8
Iso 1000

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks!
You don't have to go too far just depends on what kind of foreground you want and how cloudy it is. I was near the Canadian border in Warroad, Minnesota which has some very dark skies.

This is a composite of 85 images stacked in PS.

Nikon Df
28mm f2.8 ais
30 seconds
f2.8
Iso 1000

Do you set it up on a tepid with a time trigger and how long does this all take?

Asher