• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hdr cars

tony manttan

took these at the Warialda honey festival on the 17th nov

1#
car15.jpg

2#
car11.jpg

3#
car10.jpg

4#
car.jpg

5#
car4.jpg

Alain Briot

pro member
I keep thinking of what a photographer told me about HDR: Highly Destroyed Raw. It's easy to get heavy handed with it. While I appreciate the creativity demonstrated in this series, I'd prefer to see the cars processed with a more delicate touch.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
No one can deny that the immaculately restored antique car, presented with a punk-fetish-gothic look is attention getting. As a poster for a movie, or for a series of model cars ready for Chrismas sales, it could work magnificently. After all, it has a biting edge that says, "Look at me, I have some story to tell from another world!"

at the Warialda honey festival on the 17th nov

2#
car11.jpg

Hi Tony,

Obviously this is inquired taste! The car has entered a surreal world as if we're about to be introduced to new characters. If that works for just you then it's worthwhile. I know a lot of folk like this almost quaint metallic presentation. I'm prepared to enter that world if there were characters and ideas in it I could follow, as in a computer game. So that might work for a lot of people.

What's a block is that a lot of us here is simply an insatiable love antique cars!! I myself am interested in the actual car show! Seeing your pictures, like travel images from journeys made by Robert Watcher, Fahim Mohammed and others, we get to places and events through their travels! The antique car owners show lavishly-loved cars. Each has a story: snapped up at some lucky meeting or maybe a drive through farm land where a barn door was left open by accident! These cars are all treasures of a bygone age. Folk travel great distances to show them, refresh friendships, and milk nostalgia and to see some of the most beautiful, proud or humble automobiles that were ever produced.

While I am impressed with the technique of HDR, I treat it as I do all post processing techniques and that's gingerly and with minimal use. I ask what I'm trying to do? In this case, to make the car stand out more, one could simply add a contrast curve or some selective sharpening. Even then, always apply it only to certain places in the image, not everywhere. So, I'd challenge you to place the car finished over a second layer, the original before HDR, and then pull back the effect to where it just elevates your cars in attention-getting above the original. More than that focusses attention on the technique and not the car!

Unless of course one wants to enter this alternative world, and that's fine if that is indeed what one desires. But for many of us, we're robbed of the beauty that the car collectors have painstakingly bestowed on their rare cars. I wonder if you have ever tired SNS-HDR? Do a search here and you might very well be impressed. It mighty not give you the same "other" or "gothic" world you like, but it will for sure give you what is considered by some knowledgeable users, perhaps the best HSR software available. :)

Asher

tony manttan

thank you for your comments i did the processing for my nieces as they love that style and wanted me to post them that way, myself it varies depending on the subject as to what effect i like

Alain Briot

pro member
To me the issue is simple: this series is about HDR processing first and about cars second. It is difficult to find interest in the cars because the processing takes most of my attention!

So kids like HDR?

Hi Alain,

Well, kids (even some 'adult' ones) like e.g. Disney, especially the cartoons (which are surreal by definition) ...

So it ultimately depends on who your audience is, I guess. Many of the OPF residents have somewhat more artistic aspirations, and as such use HDR tonemapping as a tool to wrestle physics into submission, instead of the audience.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Download bracketed TIFF files of cars for designing pleasing HDR versions!

Tony has kindly made available these two images, each with 3 bracketed exposures.

2#
car11.jpg

4#
car.jpg

You can download them here to prepare an HDR version as you see fit. Just put under the image © Tony Manttan and below that "Edited by Your Name" and remember that in return for permission to process and further experience the images, we grant back to the photographer all rights we might otherwise earn in editing the picture. So the picture is always 100% the property of the original photographer. We agree to post the details of our processing for others to follow.

Let's se some different approaches! Use any method you wish working from all three or just one image and any software you choose. Just let us know the method and your approach!

Thanks for being sporting and trying your hand! :)

Asher