• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Delusionorium! The grand Illusion of mirrors, mascara and modernity!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
BTW, guys, this problem of CO2 rising is not just due to the billions of humans, their cars and cattle!

Just clearing natural habitat releases carbon from the biomass of the ground into the atmosphere. In Queensland, Australia for example, for every hectare of land cleared, they release 100 tons of carbon into the air!

The problem is that learning biology and geography, what people do in other lands and the like is considered optional, naive and a diversion to sports and "real practical knowledge for life” in many educational systems. Childrens' weekend TV shows have mad scientists trying to bamboozle everyone to control the world.

People graduate as engineers and lawyers, becoming captains of industry or of cruise ships innocent and ignorant of the facts of life of our own ecosystem.

In fact mention of ecosystem brings otherwise competent fun people to a state of ridicule about our concerns and responsibility to account for what we are doing.

We are therefore used to looking at the product we want to consume. We just like a friendly interface of things. We only need to know what button to push, not how to really make something work or what the significance of things really is.

We look at the superficial, put on acid washed jeans, crack open a beer or even a great wine and smile at our achievements!

This is, mon ami, mon tres tres cher ami, le grand illusion, what I call "The Delusionorium".

Asher.

In brief, if the birds die, then we are the dinosaurs too!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

"The Grand Delusionorium"

The Grand Delusionorium

Howfar Havwegon
Fromthetime ofBabylon?
Wehobblbent fromnowon
Mazes ofdiversion

Electoniscorium!
Legstoheaven sensorium
PC decorium
Rivers Arsenicorium

Silicon Salvatorium!
Ape tohumanromanroad
Stoplight Righturnorium

Logarithmic Delusionorium!
Thisponzischeme mustimplode
Bybasic mathmatorium

May 21 2001

© Asher David Kelman​

In the Bible story of the Tower Of Babylon, ancient Babylon threw the resources of its Empire to the construction of a massive tower to rise high above the ground, past the sky, to the heavens. This would be the greatest achievemnt of man, conquering the only remaining power, God! This was, for sure, an ambitous project; but do-able by Bible standards. After all, the pyramids showed that we could literally move mountains and make new ones!

On this occaision, however, God thought otherwise! (S)He solved the problem by scrambing the communications of the architects, engineers, craftsmen and workers, giving each man a different language. Soon building ground to a halt!

In my poem, The Grand Delusionorium the words are collapsed together to initially at least, achieve incoherence for example,

Wehobblbent is of course, We hobble, bent

So in this poem, this interference with written language arrests communication. Like the engineers' workers in Babylon, all are present, but cannot express thoughts, intent or needs.

The comfortable visual interface is lost. This loss relates to our own delusional sense of competence. In fact we suffer a psychosic of pragmatic omnipotence over nature.

Asher

Last edited:

Paul Bestwick

pro member
of course my tongue is planted firmly in my cheek in previous comments. Although I stand by my belief that the global warming issue is a lie, I am actually horrified at what is going on with the planet. I don't understand how massive parcels of forest can be burned in Indonesia for the purpose of farming. Or the Amazon forest be razed at an alarming rate, or here in Tasmania, Australia, old growth forest being raped for the purpose of woodchip production. It's bullshit, & were only talking about trees here, what about the other many issues relating to the poisioning of the planet. It may be that the planet has enough healing power to sustain tha attack for a while.....but how long. I fear for our home.
Lets hope thay get the 1DSMKIII out quickly while we can still enjoy it (humor)

Cheers,

Paul

Asher Kelman

I know I get preachy sometimes, photography is a great route to getting intimate with everything else!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I have been thinking about the US decision to extend their dominion over our private thoughts and correspondence, ideas and inventions and views of everything. We also see that in religious movements that have answers for everything. They just are all driven by the inner strength that comes from the ideas they have integrated to their being.

Control of people? The Chinese do it as do the Taliban. We now do this in the name of protecting liberty and our democracy. How then do we justify invasion of privacy and making available our own creative work to anyone they choose?

Still, no doubt, they believe they are doing the right thing to maintain the integrity of "our way of life" and our freedom. A more cynical mind would say, not they are not deluded, rather know they are doing wrong, trespassing and stealing! That I think is simplistic.

I consider we all wrap ourselves in a cloud of delusions of being "right". The head of homeland Security does not, I'd wager, think he is undoing the fabric of democracy.

That cloud of delusions, the appeal to words like "Freedom!" screamed by Wallace in "Braveheart" in a horrible "crucifixion-like death, is what prevents much progress in dealing with ethnic and other big issues that divide us. Some yell "freedom" and other's some holy words of salvation.

We need to break though the grand scheme of things, the grand "delusionorium". It should start in school, not in highscool or college.

Instead of other entertaining studies, rationalism should be taught from primary school. The rest, cultural matters are decorative. We need to fight against being treated like sheep!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
The Grand Delusionorium

Howfar Havwegon . . . .​

Fabulous.

On another front, let me mention that the current (well-warranted) concern with the emission of carbon dioxide has been simplified into a ignorant demonization of carbon itself.

In that regard, we need to be conscious of the fact that the human body is almost 1/5 carbon. Our entire scheme of life is "carbon-based" (as contrasted with, for examples, a "silicon-based" life scheme some people think might be found on other planets). (No, I don't mean the one in California.)

Se when we speak of one's personal "carbon footprint", what do we mean? The pro rata amount of carbon dioxide emitted worldwide in support of our individual life? The amount of carbon dioxide we individually emit (by exhaling - sorry, we have to do that)?

And perhaps we should be congratulated for consuming carbon, as all coal-fired power plants do (and some modern ones are even net consumers).

The term most directly suggests the amount of carbon we individually have "on the ground" In my case, that is about 44 pounds. Through exercise, and prudent eating, I hope to reduce that. And of course I consume a lot of carbon every day.

So, as always, my plea is for care in language, care in expression, and (most of all) let's please have some idea what we are talking about. Even the best-intentioned slogans are, at best, good only for bumper stickers.​