• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

White Balance....

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Thank you, Nik....

Oh if white were only white and my office wall were not blue.

I did a photo shoot several months ago of reading eyeglasses (100 pair!) and my client was very happy with them. He had someone else change the tone to white where needed and I think I made some edits too.

So this time, I shot much faster, but I have still not mastered enough PS or other software to get that cast out. These eye glasses will be sold on a website and the white has to be high key but not blow the color out. The good news is that I had zero reflection so I laid them properly in the tent. I also hand held the camera so I could center the main focus on the bridge of each pair.

I used a shooting tent, some hot lights (a Photoflex kit), my 24-70 - mostly at 50mm some at 70; I did white balance on Kelvin 5500 and I shot RAW and Jpg. I attempted some editing but our local PS guru Nik and I will be chatting shortly. He said it's very easy and he can even talk me through the edit on all 84 images at once. ...

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Kathy
Sometimes whibal or such cards aren't easy to use, sometimes I just forgot I have one (shame on me!) then a little action named "billscolorcast" can be very handy, when I use it, I oftenly tweak the layer between 4 to 7%... can be usefull, one can download it from there.
HiH!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Nic and Nik..

Thank you Nicolas. My images are burned and gone but there will be more coming!

Now, if I can only raise the prices to where they belong and get paid appropriately for this work!

Oh if white were only white and my office wall were not blue.

It really isn't all that difficult, especially when, as you did, you have Raw data files available.

There is a tool that can help tremendously with the type of shooting you described. One also has to understand that the highest 1/3rd stop before saturation/clipping isn't necessarily neutral in color.
So, by shooting a truely white object and 'underexposing' it by 1/3rd or 2/3rd of a stop short of clipping should provide a test image where specular highlights are allowed to clip to white and the white test object could be used for a 'click white' white-balancing in the Raw converter, while getting an optimal exposure (to the right of the histogram).

Bart