• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Remington typewriter

Cem_Usakligil

Hi,

I have never posted here in the Riskit forum before since I have been reasonably confident of the pictures I share with you. But there is a first time for everything so here it goes ;-).

I was doing some shopping the other day and I happened to have my daughter's carry-around G9 with me. In my favorite local bookstore, they have quite a few ancient typewriters on display. So I took out the G9 and tried out a few ideas, among others this one below. It is not a perfectly executed photo, the light was low and I had to push the ISO on the G9 to 400. Even then, I ended up taking quite a lot frames with visible shake. This one was one of the least worse.

I know the owner quite well and he told me that I could borrow the typewriters to photograph them at home if I wanted to. So before I embark on this project, I'd like to have your input please. Does a picture like this work for you? If not, what needs to be changed? What would make this project exciting? Etc, etc...

Thanks in advance.

Antique Remington Typewriter
typewriter1.jpg

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Cem
an interesting start! If I had this machine with me, I would play with some different lighting on, thru, behind the letters bars, evne with some colored rays of light. Dunno why, just some food for the brain ;-)

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Cem,
I like the image shot in this manner. What I mean is there's no "deep detail, go for the artistic and technically perfect shot". The typewriter is old (and if it's an Underwood I probably learned to type on it!)
That G9 gives it an "old" feel somehow. If I were doing the series, I'd keep the light a bit harsh, the grain a bit high, etc.
I think you're on to something here. Good luck and please share your progress!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
A wonderful project

Cem - This is a wonderful project. I can totally see this as an art book and I would definitely try some fun lighting on these. The subjects have such interesting parts and there are many ways to portray them. Keep going!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Cem,

This is a great treat. First the subject and framing is original and a departure from the sunsets and flowers that we see a lot of. The tree with the dark spreading roots and the long thin arms of the levers here share something in common. This is exciting to see ideas from your inner imagination get free to make you have these choices.

This is so good! I love the project and Nicolas and John have great suggestions. Beware of just using color as Razzmatazz. It can always jazz things up like a neon sign, a girl with red lips wanting to picked up! Using color is very challenging so experiment but be so careful. I'd rather look at some sienna hue to it. However try all these ideas but go with what you feel comes from within.

For sure there's a lot of possibilities. I hope you do much more. Just please use RAW and save the large files so that they can, down the road be printed to a large size.

As my contribution, perhaps consider the role of some asymmetry. One might want there to be some tension or argument between parts. So a shadow is one possible approach.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Cem
very cool- would look lovely framed any place- but the other have wonderful suggestions
you could do so much with this wonderful start-I remember as a child my aunt had one of these in her business-I always loved to press the keys -clank clank-

Charlotte-

Cem_Usakligil

Hi folks,

Thanks to all of you, I can now start planning for this project :).
Your generous advice will not be in vain, I'll try to make best out of it.

Cheers,